MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #826 of 2,583
i'm listening to the horrors' "ghost"... at 3,25' it gives me goosebumps. great hp after all

I struggle with this type of music and high end headphones. I guess I just don't know what I'm listening for?

By the way, as a sibilance check, listen to Patricia Barber. Pretty much all of her most recent recordings gave no attention to sibilance reduction in the mastering process. It's a good way to check if you're sensitive to it, and additionally to check the gear for it. I do find her material a bit weird though haha.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #827 of 2,583
Black foam inserts. I was using the one notch inserts at first as I found the highs a bit sharp but once they were burned in i found the highs much smoother.
After about 60hrs of running these headphones (much of that just pink noise while I was at work) I noticed similar things. The mids and highs have opened up, and sibilance has settled a bit, which I was surprised by. I wasn't sure about the whole burn in thing, but MrSpeakers recommended 200hrs of it. It seems clear to me there is a benefit, although I doubt between now and 200 hours I'll continue to see much change. I am on the black inserts, and I am REALLY enjoying the presentation. :) . Using these with the Schiit Jotunheim (w/ DAC).

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #828 of 2,583
For AEON burn in is pretty much complete by 100 hours, ETHERs take a bit longer, that's where the 200 comes from.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 7, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #831 of 2,583
I trie
I struggle with this type of music and high end headphones. I guess I just don't know what I'm listening for?

By the way, as a sibilance check, listen to Patricia Barber. Pretty much all of her most recent recordings gave no attention to sibilance reduction in the mastering process. It's a good way to check if you're sensitive to it, and additionally to check the gear for it. I do find her material a bit weird though haha.

I tried listening to patricia barber code cool without inserts and sibilance is killing me...
I wait for r2r, then if it is still like this i will sell it and order lcd2c. My old lcd2 was not sibilant at all...

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #832 of 2,583
I trie

I tried listening to patricia barber code cool without inserts and sibilance is killing me...
I wait for r2r, then if it is still like this i will sell it and order lcd2c. My old lcd2 was not sibilant at all...

Haha yup that's the song that is a sibilance checker. But keep in mind. I don't think anything else is that bad. So if that's your limit, it might end up being okay after all.

Dec 7, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #833 of 2,583
Finally got to crack open a Hugo 2 for demo here at the store. I'm taking full advantage of it for the youtube video. I can say so far it is a really good pairing with both Aeon Flow Open/Aeon Flow Closed... Difficult to listen to differences when you get caught up in the music.
E5F7FE6C-3451-4CF5-A584-D6E7E59F6A02.jpeg

Favorite track so far is "Ectasy" by Rusted Root with these two! I have the white notches in the AFO and the black in the AFC. I have been taking them in and out to see what I prefer and so far this is my favorite for both. I am amazed what the white notches do bass wise to the AFO compared to them without. I like that you get the notches from the beginning. It really gives the customer a very easy way to tweak their desired amount of bass without having to EQ. Very smart!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #834 of 2,583
AEON Open has won another "best of 2017" award, this from HiFi+.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #835 of 2,583
Finally got to crack open a Hugo 2 for demo here at the store. I'm taking full advantage of it for the youtube video. I can say so far it is a really good pairing with both Aeon Flow Open/Aeon Flow Closed... Difficult to listen to differences when you get caught up in the music.

Favorite track so far is "Ectasy" by Rusted Root with these two! I have the white notches in the AFO and the black in the AFC. I have been taking them in and out to see what I prefer and so far this is my favorite for both. I am amazed what the white notches do bass wise to the AFO compared to them without. I like that you get the notches from the beginning. It really gives the customer a very easy way to tweak their desired amount of bass without having to EQ. Very smart!

Are you using the white tuning pads with 1 or 2 notches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back