MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #661 of 2,583
But don't cost 150 dollars :)
I really like my Impact Audio cables (they're on Etsy). I have three of them; two of which are for Aeons. They usually cost $100-$130 each depending on options. They're not the most supple at first but they break in (physically, not audibly) with use and become much more manageable.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #662 of 2,583
But don't cost 150 dollars :)
ZMF (yeah, Zach also makes good cables!). I plan on getting OFC cable for my HiFiMAN and Mr. Speakers from him! I believe it is $99 (so not $150 :wink:)

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #663 of 2,583
I really like my Impact Audio cables (they're on Etsy). I have three of them; two of which are for Aeons. They usually cost $100-$130 each depending on options. They're not the most supple at first but they break in (physically, not audibly) with use and become much more manageable.
I can see that you own both the Aeon Flow open and the Senn HD800S. I received an offer for a used HD800S for about USD250 more than brand new Aeon flow open. In your opinion, do you think I should go for that or should I get a new Aeon flow open? I listen to variety of genre but mostly modern / pop songs and unfortunately I am not able to audition headphones as im located very far from nearest headphones shop. Would love to hear your opinion on them :)

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #664 of 2,583
They said that the sound of the AFO is similar to that of an electrostatic, what is the sound of an electrostatic ?

Very transparent and detailed, true timbre of instruments, yet a graceful and relaxed presentation. (Referring to my Stax 404LE) IMO

That's why I'm following this thread & hope to audition (either) Aeon soon.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #665 of 2,583
Very transparent and detailed, true timbre of instruments, yet a graceful and relaxed presentation. (Referring to my Stax 404LE) IMO

That's why I'm following this thread & hope to audition (either) Aeon soon.

It may be because of the quality of bass which hits hard, liquid, and fast. Not sure though.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #666 of 2,583
I bought it on iglooaudio, it's in the uk. So technically it's not europe. Or you can try contacting portento audio in italy.

"Mrspeakers-Europe" is NOT MrSpeakers, this is Sonority Audio and they are no longer an authorized reseller. Please see our store locator on our website, you will find all our distributors and many resellers for Europe who are authorized and usually have stock.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 30, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #668 of 2,583
Congrats mrspeakers on post #666

Ps i hope you can respond to my PM

Will do today, I'm behind on some emails and messages. We've been BUSY these last two months (a huge thanks to all our customers for the support!!!).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #669 of 2,583
Is there any place in europe you can buy these? Seems like MrSpeakers-europe don´t have these and they don´t respond to email also Electromod only sell for ireland, french and uk.
I sent Electromod an email citing the post by Mrspeakers earlier in this thread saying that resellers are allowed to sell to a country that doesn't have a reseller already. They didn't have issues shipping to Finland, at least.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #670 of 2,583
We authorize our distributors and resellers in the EU to ship within EU to countries that do NOT have a dealer or distributor. This is fully supported to ensure everyone has access. For the moment the UK is still in the EU... (Sigh)

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #672 of 2,583
Joining thread. Just received my AFO and a Jotunheim (w/DAC). Running balanced. I've had the gear running burnin all day with some pink noise (not sure if it really makes a difference, but MrSpeakers said 200 hrs to burnin these headphones!). Anyway, listening to some tunes right now. I came from a Modi2U with a Magni2U and a Lyr with HE-500 (I have loved my HE-500s for years - on my third set of ear pads), and now to this setup. Holy cow. I don't yet have a complete feel for it all, but here is what I can say. 1: I am using the black filters (least filtering). 2: Bass is really nice. He-500 had good bass, but this is so much more defined and refined. Nice and full, but not sloppy or loose. There is a little less "slam", but I am happy about it, feels more real/natural 3: The headphones with the black filters are more fun than with the white ones. A bit more forward and interesting (the white filters seem to give a more laid back feel). The mids and highs have such nice body and presence, and so smooth - yet so detailed. Just heard stuff in a song I hadn't noticed before. I was very surprised by that. But no harshness, no excess sizzle in the mids, or fatiguing sibilance. Crazy good. 4: These are so much lighter and more comfortable. Finally, don't have to sacrifice comfort for sound quality in a Planar. 5: These are somewhat forgiving for crappy digital audio files. I know some of this experience is impacted by the Jotunheim, so I'll have to test with my other gear just to hear differences and some point. I took a risk in ordering this gear, not having demo'd any of it, and I am REALLY happy with the result. So much fun. Saw a lot of people recommending a tube amp. I have one, i've done the tube rolling thing, etc. Decided to take a chance and go solid state, and I want to try running balanced. Very happy with the combo. Doesn't take away warmth from the headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #673 of 2,583
I can see that you own both the Aeon Flow open and the Senn HD800S. I received an offer for a used HD800S for about USD250 more than brand new Aeon flow open. In your opinion, do you think I should go for that or should I get a new Aeon flow open? I listen to variety of genre but mostly modern / pop songs and unfortunately I am not able to audition headphones as im located very far from nearest headphones shop. Would love to hear your opinion on them :)
Given your music preference, go with the AFO. The HD800S is a reference headphone and needs a quality source and amp. The AFO is more musical and engaging when it comes to pop and other modern music. It also will mask poorly recorded music more than the HD800S.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #674 of 2,583
Given your music preference, go with the AFO. The HD800S is a reference headphone and needs a quality source and amp. The AFO is more musical and engaging when it comes to pop and other modern music. It also will mask poorly recorded music more than the HD800S.
Are you kidding ? For $250 the choice is obvious, HD 800 S, I also prefer musicality but we're talking about $800 versus $1500, but if it's musicality he wants, an equalizer or maybe a tube amp can get in the way.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #675 of 2,583
800s sucks comparing to afo. Try listening everything except classical music, and you need a nuclear plant as an amp. I drive afo with ifi idsd and it kicks ass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back