MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2017 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,583

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
aeon_open-001_1.jpg
aeon_open-004_square.jpg

https://www.mrspeakers.com/headphones-22/aeon/aeon-flow-open-back-headphone.html

Well, here they are!

And they are $799, same price as the AEON closed-back.

Specs:
Driver Type - Planar Magnetic
Driver Size - 62x34mm
Impedance - 14 ohms
Weight - 326 gm
Ear Pad Material - Synthetic Protein

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 2,583
The comment in the email from Dan is well put. There is more warmth and a smoother transient response between frequencies, bass to mids and mids to treble. The AFO is my favorite MrSpeakers offering to date.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 2,583
How do they compare to closed?

I'm in the process of a review, so it wouldn't be fair to give a complete answer ATM. But, while these have a similar tonality (same driver and housing of course) the overall experience is quite different. To my ears the AFO, is in another class from the closed version. It reproduces a more natural sound with more accurate and pleasing tone. While the AFC may have 3db more sub bass, I find that with a little EQ AFO actually has better bass presence.

Closed headphones will always make compromises based on the physics of stored energy. AFO takes full advantage of moving what was a very good design to an open platform. Mids/vocals are more lush and delicate. The transitions between the mids/bass/treble flows better.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 2,583
I'm in the process of a review, so it wouldn't be fair to give a complete answer ATM.

Matt - in your review, please compare to Ether Flow open as well... Thanks.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 2,583
^^ Never owned the hd700. It's just one of the gaps in my journey. Never even auditioned them. I do own the hd800 and will be comparing them to AFO in the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back