MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #977 of 2,583
Hey there,
I'm very interested in the AFO but wondered if I should first upgrade my source first. I have an Audio-GD NFB-11.28.
Will it be a good upgrade over my HE-500?
It's a side-grade to the HE-500 and comes down to your sonic preferences.

AFO is easier to drive.

AFO has cleaner bass. HE-500 is less veiled and is a little leaner sounding.

I sold my HE-500 to fund my AFO purchase, but it wasn't an easy decision. It took over a week of demo time to make up my mind. Ideally, I'd own both.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #978 of 2,583

AFO is easier to drive.

I sold my HE-500 to fund my AFO purchase, but it wasn't an easy decision. It took over a week of demo time to make up my mind. Ideally, I'd own both.

i can see that
I think the AFO compliments my grado's pretty well, it's like having the best of both worlds, when i had the LDC2, and 2f, there was a more drastic difference in their sound, it would take a long time for me to adjust, that's not the case with the AFO

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #979 of 2,583

AFO is easier to drive.

Oh ok, tough choice then.
I wanted the AFO also for the comfort, getting tired of the HE-500 weight :p

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #980 of 2,583
Well, in that case, it isn't even close. The AFO is one of the most.comfprtable headphones I've ever tried.

If you.hacent read my impressions, they're a few pages back. Might be useful to you since you're in the same boat I was in coming from the 500s.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #981 of 2,583
I think the HiFiMan Sundara will be the number one emerging rival against these. Though these seem to have a better design.

Its weight (320g) and comfort alone makes it worth a buy IMO. Only hd800s (330g) may rival its comfort. There are many other cans around 500g, which I think too much for a long listening session.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #983 of 2,583
I got the Aeon Opens two days ago; here's some impressions:

Note: not burned in, source is Grace m9XX and Chord Mojo.

Bass: Definitely north of neutral to my ears. Good impact, making music more fun to listen to, without being overbearing nor tasteless. Though sometimes I feel like instruments such as the cello stand out a bit too much in the mix at times when listening to orchestral pieces, though that may just be a sound adjustment issue. On the other hand, kick drums are a joy to listen to with these

Mids: Rich, warm, present. A little veiled with the white tuning filters, masking some of the overtones and nuances with respect to vocals and some instruments like violin, but not a big deal; it's easy to adjust to.

Treble: Lacking some air, but well extended to my ears; cymbals and such crash with authority. A bit of sibilance at times with poorer recordings but not the worst I've heard. Maybe a bit too hot for me with the black tuning filters... I'm still experimenting.

Soundstage & Imaging: Narrow, but adequate depth to my ears. Imaging and separation are decent I suppose. I've been pretty spoiled by the HD800, so nothing is really going to compare in this category.

Attack/Impact: Definitely punchy and dynamic. High musical engagement factor. Does well with crescendos and climaxes.

Overall, I really like them despite its flaws. Worth the money for sure.

Pros: Cohesive. Smooth yet punchy. Fun and engaging.
Cons: Soundstage. Mids a teeny bit veiled. Some sibilance.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #984 of 2,583
I have not played with any of the filters, only used the stock white filter that came pre- installed. Of the longtime users here what have you decided suits you the best, from no filter to any combination?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #985 of 2,583
I have not played with any of the filters, only used the stock white filter that came pre- installed. Of the longtime users here what have you decided suits you the best, from no filter to any combination?

I landed on the black filter insert as my preference. No insert would cause fatigue for me. 1 notch was a little too muffled. The black insert is my sweet spot.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #986 of 2,583

The black insert as well for me. (My preference is leaning toward a warm and slightly brighter one, but not too bright)

But after a long travel, I found myself enjoying it with the 2-notch white filters. So depending on my mood, I find a reason to change filters from time to time.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #989 of 2,583
The reason I asked a filters is opinion always seems to change from initial testings so I see value in knowing the long term and the filters people are finally choosing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back