MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by XERO1, Sep 30, 2017.
First

Back
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Page 66 of 138
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
Next

Last
  1. Asukara
    Hey there,
    I'm very interested in the AFO but wondered if I should first upgrade my source first. I have an Audio-GD NFB-11.28.
    Will it be a good upgrade over my HE-500?

2. skyline315
    It's a side-grade to the HE-500 and comes down to your sonic preferences.

AFO is easier to drive.

AFO has cleaner bass. HE-500 is less veiled and is a little leaner sounding.

I sold my HE-500 to fund my AFO purchase, but it wasn't an easy decision. It took over a week of demo time to make up my mind. Ideally, I'd own both.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    lentoviolento and Asukara like this.
  3. jaywillin
    i can see that
    I think the AFO compliments my grado's pretty well, it's like having the best of both worlds, when i had the LDC2, and 2f, there was a more drastic difference in their sound, it would take a long time for me to adjust, that's not the case with the AFO

4. Asukara
    Oh ok, tough choice then.
    I wanted the AFO also for the comfort, getting tired of the HE-500 weight :p

5. skyline315
    Well, in that case, it isn't even close. The AFO is one of the most.comfprtable headphones I've ever tried.

If you.hacent read my impressions, they're a few pages back. Might be useful to you since you're in the same boat I was in coming from the 500s.

6. franz12
    Its weight (320g) and comfort alone makes it worth a buy IMO. Only hd800s (330g) may rival its comfort. There are many other cans around 500g, which I think too much for a long listening session.

7. Asukara
    Yes I read it, still a hard choice :p.

320gr though :ksc75smile:

8. Hedonism
    I got the Aeon Opens two days ago; here's some impressions:

Note: not burned in, source is Grace m9XX and Chord Mojo.

Bass: Definitely north of neutral to my ears. Good impact, making music more fun to listen to, without being overbearing nor tasteless. Though sometimes I feel like instruments such as the cello stand out a bit too much in the mix at times when listening to orchestral pieces, though that may just be a sound adjustment issue. On the other hand, kick drums are a joy to listen to with these

Mids: Rich, warm, present. A little veiled with the white tuning filters, masking some of the overtones and nuances with respect to vocals and some instruments like violin, but not a big deal; it's easy to adjust to.

Treble: Lacking some air, but well extended to my ears; cymbals and such crash with authority. A bit of sibilance at times with poorer recordings but not the worst I've heard. Maybe a bit too hot for me with the black tuning filters... I'm still experimenting.

Soundstage & Imaging: Narrow, but adequate depth to my ears. Imaging and separation are decent I suppose. I've been pretty spoiled by the HD800, so nothing is really going to compare in this category.

Attack/Impact: Definitely punchy and dynamic. High musical engagement factor. Does well with crescendos and climaxes.

Overall, I really like them despite its flaws. Worth the money for sure.

Pros: Cohesive. Smooth yet punchy. Fun and engaging.
    Cons: Soundstage. Mids a teeny bit veiled. Some sibilance.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Phantaminum, Nick-s-f and koover like this.
  9. subguy812
    I have not played with any of the filters, only used the stock white filter that came pre- installed. Of the longtime users here what have you decided suits you the best, from no filter to any combination?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  10. mtmercer
    I landed on the black filter insert as my preference. No insert would cause fatigue for me. 1 notch was a little too muffled. The black insert is my sweet spot.

swmtnbiker likes this.
  11. franz12
    The black insert as well for me. (My preference is leaning toward a warm and slightly brighter one, but not too bright)

But after a long travel, I found myself enjoying it with the 2-notch white filters. So depending on my mood, I find a reason to change filters from time to time.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  12. zmhaha
    Ok. I am loving the AFO...
    I can't imagine myself selling these ever.. except AFC impresses me the same as AFO while being closed..

Phantaminum and Nick-s-f like this.
  13. t4tris
    I like no filters the best and two notch whites second.

14. subguy812
    The reason I asked a filters is opinion always seems to change from initial testings so I see value in knowing the long term and the filters people are finally choosing.

15. BobJS
    Black for me as well.

First

Back
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Page 66 of 138
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
Next

Last