MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #541 of 2,583
It is very interesting how the headphones are priced. After certain point, the differences in sound are minimum. Some times it is just a matter of preference. Dan from mrspeakers could have priced the AFO at $2000 US dollars, I am glad he didn’t, and problably we would have been ok with it.

Dan, congratulations for this terrific achievement with the AFO. I hope other companies follow your path. I am not an expert with numbers, but I bet Mrspeakers will make more profit with the AFO than Audeze with the $4000 lcd4 or focal with his $4000 utopia.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #543 of 2,583
Received these yesterday and had a quick listening session. The Aeon Flow Open embodies the HD650 sound. Really surprising at how close it comes to the smooth sound of the Senn but brings a bit more to the table. Bass is tighter and slams harder as most other reviewers mentioned. Instruments have a bit more clarity to them but the treble was a bit more peaky. After about three hours that seemed to slowly subside.

Left them baking last night per Dan’s instruction. Going to sit down and see if there are sonic changes to the headphones. Currently have the black filters installed.

Also the HEX V2 is a great headphone if you’re looking for an airy presentation with a wide soundstage. The deal breaker for me was the harshness of the treble which flew against the laid back nature of the headphone. I could of lived with everything else.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #544 of 2,583
Tyll take down Ether Flows from WoF and put Aeons Open instead. I have listened Ether Flows and like them very much but their price is insane! What do I lose (or gain) buying Aeons instead of Ethers? I dont find Ethers harsh or thin sounding as some opinions say.
Ether Flow has more punch across the board (bass, mids, highs), making it sound more engaging and lively, more like someone is actually playing music close to me. It has slightly more bass (sometimes sounding maybe a tad too much) and better bass extension (AFO rolls off a bit more abruptly, it seemed to me). I found the mids of the AFO somewhat recessed compared to both Ether Flow and Edition X v2, which turned me off the most - otherwise it would just be a less meaty Ether Flow.

The AFO is a little lighter and a bit more ergonomic. I think it also looks more refined. There are more tuning options available, but I have listened to them mostly without, since the one notch felt made them sound quite muffled. The AFO's cable strands are a little thinner, but I haven't compared them in terms of sound. At least the DUM cable doesn't turn the AFO into an Ether Flow :)

The Hifiman Edition X v2 surprised me, and would be my second choice after the Ether Flow. It's a little less clean in the bass than Ether Flow, a tad harsher, and a bit artificial sounding because it is so spacious, and less punchy (closer to AFO) but it's also a lot more comfortable (similar to HD800) and easier to adjust, and you can rotate the earcups 90 degrees in either direction. And in some situations its bass authority can be as impressive as a subwoofer (at least with Keys N Krates's Dum Dee Dum, JiKay remix), without sounding boosted otherwise. Makes me curious about the other Hifiman offerings.

I would have liked to keep the extra $1000, but the Ether Flow was that much more intriguing and engaging than anything else, so I got it. I also ordered the ES pads, we'll see what that does to the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #545 of 2,583
Looks like Moon Audio is having a sale and MrSpeakers are discounted

upload_2017-11-22_10-48-14.png

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #548 of 2,583
Good point about the EQ. I’d like to hear your impressions when you get to listen to them.

Will do, eventually..they are being delivered today. Will get time this weekend for an initial listen.

I'll give them some burn-in time as well, my Alpha Prime definitely benefitted from run-time; bass extension and impact improved noticeably after 30+ hours. At first they were disappointingly thin to start with..but now are totl closed headphones to my ears. No other headphone had changed that much for me before.

In my experience, the knurled v-planar drivers definitely need a good workout before final judgement.

Oh, also got to hear the Closed Aeon a few months ago, but only briefly.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #553 of 2,583
Fuuuuuu that's a good price. Surprised they are allowed/able to discount these. Didn't think Dan would allow or want that

This is not an authorized sale and I've advised Moon to take this down immediately. It sounds like the forgot to add us an exclusion on their coupon. The only advertised promotion we allow is free-shipping.

I'd like to make a comment about this policy; many people assume we have huge margins. We do not, nor do our dealers. We are following the Schiit model of keeping the price as low as we possibly can and never discounting. Our dealers get lower margins from us than from many products, so if a dealer starts discounting it can really ruin the channel because everyone is already making less margin than they do on many competitive products. We ask for the community's support on this to help us keep our dealers healthy so they can offer our products with great service and local access...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 22, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #554 of 2,583
I'm interested in purchasing a new amp that can handle low impedance headphones I'm currently looking at he560 hifiman x and a few others but I own an afo as of Monday and my current tube amp la Figaro 339, the dragonfly red give off this really distorted or bloated bass when the volume is set at a certain place, for my dragonfly around 90% tube 30-45% idk if it's a defect or my amp current set of amps can't drive the headphones past a certain volume any reccomendations ?

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #555 of 2,583
This is not an authorized sale and I've advised Moon to take this down immediately. It sounds like the forgot to add us an exclusion on their coupon. The only advertised promotion we allow is free-shipping.

Yupp, looks like it:

Screenshot_20171122-094744_1.jpg

I was simultaneously excited and disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back