MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #511 of 2,583
i find it good even without the filters... is the afo intended to be used "only" with filters??
I use it without filters. They're meant to allow everyone to choose how they want it to sound.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #512 of 2,583
i find it good even without the filters... is the afo intended to be used "only" with filters??

I'm pretty sure it's intended to be listened to however you think sounds best...there's no right or wrong to your ears :gs1000smile:

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #513 of 2,583
i know but maybe they were meant to be used with filters for maximum performance..

however, did someone make a comparison with ether flow?? is ether still the best open? tyll for example said tha AFC was better than ether c (not to me even if i made only a quick comparison), but he said practically nothing about AFO VS EFO...

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #514 of 2,583
i know but maybe they were meant to be used with filters for maximum performance..

however, did someone make a comparison with ether flow?? is ether still the best open? tyll for example said tha AFC was better than ether c (not to me even if i made only a quick comparison), but he said practically nothing about AFO VS EFO...

Tyll, mentioned that the AFO is the best hp under $1000. By this, I asume he still like the EFO better.

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #516 of 2,583
I tried the AFO a week ago and it sounded quite muffled to me. Took a peak inside, it had the one notch pads installed. Removed them, and all was well. Had a similar experience with the AFC at a meet, though it was more obvious with the AFO.

however, did someone make a comparison with ether flow?? is ether still the best open?

I heard both at a store and then had a friend's Ether Flow for a few days. They sounded very similar to me in general, but in certain songs it's quite obvious that the Ether Flow has better bass extension. I dug that, but it also has a bit more bass in general - a tad too much, I think. The AFO sounded more spot on to me.
The ÆON also seemed to have a higher clamping force, but I noticed that the Ether's comfort level varies greatly for me depending on adjusting the position, the headband, and even how I put on the earpads. So I have to play some more with the AFO and see whether I can get it to be comfortable. It's also possible that the earpads on the Ether had more wear since they have been out for longer.

tyll for example said tha AFC was better than ether c (not to me even if i made only a quick comparison), but he said practically nothing about AFO VS EFO...
Tyll, mentioned that the AFO is the best hp under $1000. By this, I asume he still like the EFO better.

I think in both cases he said he prefers the ÆON, but that doesn't unilaterally make it the better headphone. They are different enough that some will prefer one or the other.

I like the Ether Flow, but I didn't love it. So I'm going to give the AFO another shot, see whether I can get them to be comfortable (to the point where I can forget that I'm wearing them, which I didn't manage with the Ether) and to find out whether the bass rolls off as abruptly (which makes it distracting to me) in many songs or just a few.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #517 of 2,583
Nov 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #518 of 2,583
The second was that it even made poorly recorded music sound OK. To me voicing this headphone was really about engagement and fun, but not in the normal sense "fun" is used in headphones. This is something I deliberately designed towards as part of finding that sense of engagement. I took a different approach altogether for the sound here, and it was more informed by trying to create an experience "closer to live."

This is excellent news. Too many headphones - indeed, too much hi-fi equipment, IMHO - only sounds good with near-perfect recordings. I will have to check out the Aeon Flow Open at the first opportunity!

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #520 of 2,583
Warranty issues are pretty rare. Outside the first batch where we brought some back the failure rate on AEON seems so far consistent with ETHER, which is less than 0.5%, maybe closer to 0.25%. The headphones are very reliable.

Our general policy is that if a headphone has been received and is less than 30 days old we pay shipping both ways to give global owners some comfort that there's not a big risk here, especially since the few problems we have are usually when the headphone is new.

ALSO: XLR will be available for AEON starting tonight.
I ordered mine and I just got the tracking from razerdogaudio today is there anyway for me to send back the 1/4" cable and get the XLR cable?

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #521 of 2,583
Anyone compared them to Hifiman Edition X?

I'm looking for open phones with "a little more umph in the sub-bass"..

The Hifiman Edition X mk2 is alot more $$$$ than the Aeon "open".

The AFO does have a thump to the bass that I have mentioned would be more in the "bass head" territory. However that bass you get with the AFO sounds more like a concealed chamber of a closed headphone (to my ears).

I do not want to sound like a Hifiman sales person. What I have done is listened to a bunch of headphones on the market and surprisingly was absolutely shocked in the performance/price point of the HE560. This journey has led me the way to testing the Edition "X".

The Hifiman edition X mk2 is totally in a different league that the AFO cannot even remotely touch in sound quality. The comfort of those headphones is truly a joy to listen too. The open air non restricted soundstage completely destroys the AFO by a MASSIVE scale. I will say to my ears the Edition "x" did provide enjoyable sub bass but it's not like the accentuated ramped up bass of the AFO. When I listened to the AFO it almost has this ramped up pound of the Denon AH-D7200 punch but the AFO is more refined and more organic and less shrill compared to the Denon. I have tinnitus in my right ear and the Hifiman edition X mk2 has enough treble to satisfy with detail and refined sound while not a shrill to my ears. To my ears the Hifiman can easily make me sell my modified HD800.....the "edition x" is my next headphone on my short list to get.

I auditioned the AFO and immediately tested the Hifiman edition X afterwards. The "X" is worlds apart in SQ especially instrumental and vocals. From Nora jones, Tina Guo (wonder woman theme song), Keiko Matsui, fiona joy, Peter Kater and Max Richter Vivaldi "The four seasons". The "X" was absolutely amazing for the price tag.

To my ears the cheaper HE560 is at a different higher tier level to the more expensive AFO in sound quality and the Edition "x" mk2 is definitely a notable step up from the HE560. At this moment in time I'm loving the cheaper HE560 over my HD800 by a large margin in meaty organic engagement without being overly warm or dark vs the analytical cooler Hd800. The Edition "x" was not on my radar but now that I've auditioned it I'm completely amazed in the balance of detail, almost 2 channel hifi stereo soundstage, refined highs and holographic imaging. This is something the CDN $999 AFO cannot even remotely come close too.

This discussion is kinda moot as I'm comparing a $999 CDN AFO to a $1800 CDN Edition "X". Almost double in price but I will say the SQ difference will justify paying that extra coin.

Also note the Edition "X" is extremely easy to drive even with an iphone 6+ and a breeze to drive with any headphone amp.

Grab a pair of Edition "X" and listen to Siri Svale Band "Dont explain" I find it much more engaging with the "X" vs the AFO.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #522 of 2,583

The AFO does have a thump to the bass that I have mentioned would be more in the "bass head" territory. However that bass you get with the AFO sounds more like a concealed chamber of a closed headphone (to my ears).

I do not want to sound like a Hifiman sales person. What I have done is listened to a bunch of headphones on the market and surprisingly was absolutely shocked in the performance/price point of the HE560. This journey has led me the way to testing the Edition "X".

The Hifiman edition X mk2 is totally in a different league that the AFO cannot even remotely touch in sound quality. The comfort of those headphones is truly a joy to listen too. The open air non restricted soundstage completely destroys the AFO by a MASSIVE scale. I will say to my ears the Edition "x" did provide enjoyable sub bass but it's not like the accentuated ramped up bass of the AFO. When I listened to the AFO it almost has this ramped up pound of the Denon AH-D7200 punch but the AFO is more refined and more organic and less shrill compared to the Denon. I have tinnitus in my right ear and the Hifiman edition X mk2 has enough treble to satisfy with detail and refined sound while not a shrill to my ears. To my ears the Hifiman can easily make me sell my modified HD800.....the "edition x" is my next headphone on my short list to get.

I auditioned the AFO and immediately tested the Hifiman edition X afterwards. The "X" is worlds apart in SQ especially instrumental and vocals. From Nora jones, Tina Guo (wonder woman theme song), Keiko Matsui, fiona joy, Peter Kater and Max Richter Vivaldi "The four seasons". The "X" was absolutely amazing for the price tag.

To my ears the cheaper HE560 is at a different higher tier level to the more expensive AFO in sound quality and the Edition "x" mk2 is definitely a notable step up from the HE560. At this moment in time I'm loving the cheaper HE560 over my HD800 by a large margin in meaty organic engagement without being overly warm or dark vs the analytical cooler Hd800. The Edition "x" was not on my radar but now that I've auditioned it I'm completely amazed in the balance of detail, almost 2 channel hifi stereo soundstage, refined highs and holographic imaging. This is something the CDN $999 AFO cannot even remotely come close too.

This discussion is kinda moot as I'm comparing a $999 CDN AFO to a $1800 CDN Edition "X". Almost double in price but I will say the SQ difference will justify paying that extra coin.

Also note the Edition "X" is extremely easy to drive even with an iphone 6+ and a breeze to drive with any headphone amp.

Grab a pair of Edition "X" and listen to Siri Svale Band "Dont explain" I find it much more engaging with the "X" vs the AFO.

I know a person who prefers Sony MDR-7506($99) over any other hifi gears including Hifiman and MrSpeakers, though he owns Focal speaker which costs more than $10,000. Many people also found Beats better than any others. If you like that sound signature, that's is for you. People would not be convinced as listening is a subject experience.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #523 of 2,583
I know a person who prefers Sony MDR-7506($99) over any other hifi gears including Hifiman and MrSpeakers, though he owns Focal speaker which costs more than $10,000. Many people also found Beats better than any others. If you like that sound signature, that's is for you. People would not be convinced as listening is a subject experience.

My Totem Earth's still sound better than my headphones but yes indeed you are correct about subjective experience.

Your point is taken but as anyone reading this must judge for themselves. My ears are no different than Tyll Hertsens as the word "subjective" should be taken in loose terms as words on the internet are simply words.

I am keeping things real and I have no agenda as I'm just a regular joe...... If I want to discuss "keeping it real" many professional reviewers (audio, electronics, automotive etc) can be compensated with perks and other forms of "gifts" that we have no idea of how they are "patted on the back" for stating subjective experiences as fact :wink: This leads to the question of why are people anticipating a review when they can simply buy/test/ and either keep or sell?????

I wish I could rave about $99 Sony's or Beats....... I wish life was so simple...... even my 8 and 11 yrs old daughters know the SQ difference between the 400i, HD650 ( I've given them these headphones for their workstations.) My kids compare the hd650 and 400i listening to Phantom of the Opera 2011 Albert Hall and they can hear the difference. They have even compared my HD800 and HE560 I have on my workstation area and they can hear a difference with those headphones too. Heck my eldest loves my MM400 Denon's for portability LOL!!!

End game headphones will never exist as most audio fanatics never ever find Audio Nirvana or wallet falls short..... however they just settle for what engages them when they get tired of spending money :p

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #524 of 2,583

I miss my he560. I have an Aeon open ATM and have always been considering the edition x! I can get new at a pretty good price as well :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back