Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Oct 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #167 of 419
Quote:
Don't discount the e12... Good performance at the price point.

I have heard from some trusted ears that the E12 paired very well with the MD and AD but without getting an OK I won't say who.  

I only say 1W is what's on our desk because those happen to all be amps I have and like right now.  However, a solid 100mW class A amp can drive them well.  As always, there is quantity and there is quality.  My old Burson 160D never ran out of steam with the MD and I think it had 250mW class A.  

So remember, these are simply general guides and there are tons of great amps with much less than 1W that can be tried.  There's no way I can try or hear all amps, either, so the collective wisdom on pairings and power will probably develop as the loaner program unfolds.  

There's his quotes about it from the MD/AD threads.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #169 of 419

I have some reservations with the E12. Though somebody here on the forum wrote that Dan from Mr. Speakers said that the E12 and the MD's pair well, there have been also some posts which say that the don't really match.

Dan has never said they pair well. :)

It would be interesting to hear what your thought process was, right before you typed that.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #170 of 419
I think it's a fine product at the price as a portable amp for the Mad Dogs.  I'm not saying it's the be-all-end-all.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #171 of 419

It would be interesting to hear what your thought process was, right before you typed that.

My thought process came from recognizing something that has been brought up before, where the conclusion was that Dan personally has said that they power the MD well but has never actually said that he personally thinks they pair well.

The qoute posted after confirms that, he says he's heard from someone that they said it paired well but he never says this himself.

Truth be told, I don't care much at all and I don't know why I bothered to comment. Next time I won't. :)

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #173 of 419
  My thought process came from recognizing something that has been brought up before, where the conclusion was that Dan personally has said that they power the MD well but has never actually said that he personally thinks they pair well.

The qoute posted after confirms that, he says he's heard from someone that they said it paired well but he never says this himself.

Truth be told, I don't care much at all and I don't know why I bothered to comment. Next time I won't. :)

My main point about the E12 was this .... 
Starjung was specifically looking for an amp in the < $200 category that worked well with the Mad Dogs. For that price point I believe the E12 is a good fit. 

Are there portable amps at higher prices that work better ? Absolutely ! (I later moved up to the ALO RxMKIII) But if you're starting out with the MD's and want an inexpensive amp, the E12 is a very good choice and I dont think you'll be disappointed. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #175 of 419

Okay, I think the point here is that we have people who are looking for equipment recommendations.

If you want to make a technical point about exactly who said what, then you need to say more than just a short seven word sentence.   Be clear that you are talking about attribution, not about amps.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #176 of 419
I'm sorry that my comment caused so much trouble here. Well and the E12 seems to be a good choice after all, but I'm still searching for a good DAC/AMP combo. A few candidates on my list don't seem to be widely used, but I guess they are my few options. Anybody know something about them?

govibe petite
govibe martini
ibasso d-zero
ibasso d2+ boa
ibasso d5
ibasso d42
headstage lyrix pro
Ordnance .25
(Hippo Cricri+)

And thank you for all your replies!

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #177 of 419
Tried out my Mad Dogs( arrived today) with a loaned JDS C5 and ODAC. Sounds amazing to me, better than FiiO E12 and JDS O2 ( I don't like a too neutral sound. O2 sounds like a volume booster to me.)

The C5 is like a better version of E12. Better bass boost, better clarity. Seems to have enough power to drive the Mad Dogs.

I'm an amateur audiophile and these are my first Audiophile headphone, unless you consider Beats Studio one.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #178 of 419
So I plunged on an Audio-gd NFB-28 sometime ago and I have been "burning it in" in the meantime. Currently have a SE MAd Dogs v3.2, but thinking about getting a balanced version and comparing to an Alpha Dog balanced version sometime in the future.

Initial impression of the Audio-gd: Bass presence has improved and the sound feel more open or wider, maybe. This may be early to say but so far, it doesn't seem the $600+ more you spend on this amp over the M&M stack is worth it. Anyways For fun, I had my fiancee try the new amp with my old Schiit M&M stack with a A/B comparison but I am quite sure I didn't do it properly. She actually preferred the not-so-warm Schiit M&M stack. So, with that said, can someone help me A/B these two setups properly so I may give more impressions:

1) Source: Music Bee, choosing WASAPI output. Should Source Volume be at 100%?
2) Anyone have any resources with level matching? I don't have an SPL meter.
3) Any other tips for A/B'ing. I would like to do this for myself and for my fiancee, and just for fun, the ATH-M50's we have since that is what she is using right now.

Thanks for your help.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #179 of 419
I get a log of questions about portable amp and DAC/Amp combos at all prices.  Most of the discussion on this thread is desktop, so what are you all finding for portable?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #180 of 419
  I get a log of questions about portable amp and DAC/Amp combos at all prices.  Most of the discussion on this thread is desktop, so what are you all finding for portable?

I just had my line out from my ipod, but I thought both the Pico Power and O2 sounded great with the 3.2. The mids were a bit forward with the Pico Power but I was impressed at how well the O2 tangled at its price point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back