Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #391 of 419
  Please compare MD with alpha primes..

Hi,

The Alpha Primes are very impressive, more so than Mad Dogs.  I prefer AP sound by some margin. Alpha Prime is more detailed, the subtleties in complex music are clearer with AP's, there is more space between the instruments. You feel bass rather than "just" hear it - the lower frequencies are more prominent but not OTT. Alpha Primes give a wider soundstage. AP's are better/sturdier in construction. Better build quality.

Mad Dogs are incredible especially for the price, but Alpha Primes are on a far higher level- they blew me away on first listen and continue to surprise me as I expand my music collection from CD to FLAC and can listen with Fiio X5/Audio-Gd NFB-15 combo. I am delighted that I jumped in and upgraded from MDs for I will not need a new headphone for years-- well maybe until Dan upgrades AP's anyway :)

Hope this explains in enough detail, I'm still learning about vocab to use!

Best regards.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #392 of 419
Does anyone have experience with the Mad Dogs and the Schiit Lyr?
I have the Lyr and an original pair of Mad Dogs (I bought the Mad Dogs from a guy here on Headfi). I really like the sound and plan to upgrade to 3.2 and Dog Pads, but am wondering if I could get the same quality out of my Mad Dogs with a slightly cheaper amp? Any thoughts from the hive?? Do people generally like the Mad Dogs with the Lyr?THANKS!

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #394 of 419
I'm finding the MD scales well. I use my MD as part of my office setup with a magni/modi 2. My home rig is currently using a bifrost uber/lake people g109s. I took the MD home for a listen and the sound is improved - I wouldn't say by a giant margin but definitely better. The sound of the headphone doesn't change but rather the MD does what it already does better. I wouldn't recommend running out and upgrading your rig if the MD is your main headphone but it's nice to know that if the chain is upgrading over time the MD still shows improvements.

I also think the MD performs better on my g109s compared to my lyr. Doesn't matter what tubes I use in the lyr (siemens cca, amperex bugle boy) it doesn't compete with the g109s.

- Roy

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #395 of 419
Is it likely that I would get a warmer sound out of my MD3.2 from a Schiit Vali compared to the headphone amp in an Essence STX card? I've been comparing a Fiio E10 and the Essence STX and while the E10 definitely doesn't sound as good it gives the MD3.2 a much warmer sound which I definitely like more.

Or are there any other amps I could look at for getting a warmer and more bass-heavy sound?

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #397 of 419
Quick question - I have the Mad Dogs, and I also have the Emotiva Mini x amp, which I purchased to use for speakers but which is now free to use with these headphones...if I'm going to use the Emotiva, do I need to have the balanced version of the Mad Dogs?  I don't really understand much about how this works.  I did a quick search in this thread for Emotiva but didn't see anything about the balanced/unbalanced Mad Dogs.  Thanks in advance!

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #398 of 419
I think the MD would sound best with a bright amp.  I had really great luck with a vintage receiver, a Pioneer SX-3700, I got yesterday.  With my JDS O2 or my preamp/amp combo, I could drive the Mad  Dogs loud & clear, but the sound was boring.  I missed some slam & excitement.  The vintage receiver opened it up and gave sparkle especially with pre-2000 (AAD) recordings.  Frank and Ella had no sibilance or distortion, but Diana Krall was not as clear.  The Dead was amazing.  IMO it added a vinyl feel to the sound.  Maybe the headphone jacks on receivers from the 70's were built to power orthodynamic headphones?  I got my receiver on Craigslist for $60.  I have to do a basic cleaning, but it is well worth the cost.  Many receivers/ integrated amp from the '70's can be found at Goodwill, thrift shops, or garage sales for cheap prices.  But be careful with old stuff, it breaks easily.  That's it, I am done upgrading!  

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #399 of 419
I'd agree that they sound best from a brighter amp and agree that they sound a little boring out of a o2/magni. imho if you're going to get a vali, get a little dot instead - it's the same price and you can tube roll/opamp roll to change the sound up. the soundstage opened up a lot when switching to a tube for me.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #400 of 419
  Quick question - I have the Mad Dogs, and I also have the Emotiva Mini x amp, which I purchased to use for speakers but which is now free to use with these headphones...if I'm going to use the Emotiva, do I need to have the balanced version of the Mad Dogs?  I don't really understand much about how this works.  I did a quick search in this thread for Emotiva but didn't see anything about the balanced/unbalanced Mad Dogs.  Thanks in advance!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705196/diy-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-headphone-amp-mod-guide

When you look at the modification you will see it's L/R/Gnd for the output, so no, you don't need balanced. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #402 of 419
  I'd agree that they sound best from a brighter amp and agree that they sound a little boring out of a o2/magni. imho if you're going to get a vali, get a little dot instead - it's the same price and you can tube roll/opamp roll to change the sound up. the soundstage opened up a lot when switching to a tube for me.

The magni is a bright amp.

May 5, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #403 of 419
I own a magni and it's not a great pairing for the dogs. It severely lacks soundstage and the bass is muddy.

May 9, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #405 of 419
1+.

If you want to spend a little more, project ember is supposed to be great 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back