Mr. Speakers Ether Flow Impressions and Discussion
Sep 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #91 of 161
I think the comments from @Maxx134 capture the out-of-the-box impressions really well.

Just a couple more fun points:

- I think, after break-in, they will fall somewhere between the LCD-X and HD800.  Perhaps more like the HD800 with bass.
 - I don't hear the low bass of the LCD-X, maybe with time, but the transition to the mid-bass is really smooth.
 - And, the mid-bass is quite nice, especially with acoustic bass.  More presence.  Cool, fast sound.
 - The mids and upper mids are already interesting.  Vocals are quite excellent.  Rhythm guitar is present.  These cans have 60-minutes on them.
 - The mids are certainly not forward, but they are more forward than the LCD-X.  Seems linear between the mid-bass and treble.  Makes for a smooth sound.
 - The micro detail in the treble is impressive.  Not bright, but detailed.  Should open up more with time.
 - The sound stage is decent and engaging.  Not close to the HD800, but more open than the LCD-X.
 - Response seems very fast.  The music is detailed.
 - The cans are lighter than the LCD-X but less stable on my head than the LCD-X w/ the carbon-fiber headband.
 - Annette tried them with her favorite Allen Toussaint and gave the thumbs up.  Look out for #2 to be on order.  She just laughed when she saw the case.  What is that?

The overall SQ is a bit veiled, but I am sure it's due to break in.  I am also breaking in the new Wywires Platinum cable at the same time.  I think the SQ of this combo will improve significantly in the next days.

As always, I hope this helps.  FWIW and YMMV.

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #92 of 161
I did note an increase in ambience with the Norne pure silver cables.
They were loaned to me but really worth it if Flow is your main can..

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #93 of 161
As for the Dum cables,
The latest version is definitely the best.
It actually feels like an expensive cable being supple and not kinky.
I would rate it like a cardas cable I once had.
I also tried the past two versions of the Dum and the first one was the worst but the second one I felt better both physically and sonically.
That could just be an impression though.
Regardless, the latest DUM cable is definitely a good cable.
Watch out for aftermarket which combines silver plating with copper.
I am not a proponent for that type, as I find it add aggressive confusion to the ambient cues.
For small signal internal wiring it's great, but for headphone cables of long twisted runs, I would only recommend either pure copper or silver.
OCC copper is probably best value.
Anyways those just my general advice on the Dum cable and others.
With cables it is another topic all together.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #95 of 161
  I think the comments from @Maxx134 capture the out-of-the-box impressions really well.

Just a couple more fun points:

- I think, after break-in, they will fall somewhere between the LCD-X and HD800.  Perhaps more like the HD800 with bass.
 - I don't hear the low bass of the LCD-X, maybe with time, but the transition to the mid-bass is really smooth.
 - And, the mid-bass is quite nice, especially with acoustic bass.  More presence.  Cool, fast sound.
 - The mids and upper mids are already interesting.  Vocals are quite excellent.  Rhythm guitar is present.  These cans have 60-minutes on them.
 - The mids are certainly not forward, but they are more forward than the LCD-X.  Seems linear between the mid-bass and treble.  Makes for a smooth sound.
 - The micro detail in the treble is impressive.  Not bright, but detailed.  Should open up more with time.
 - The sound stage is decent and engaging.  Not close to the HD800, but more open than the LCD-X.
 - Response seems very fast.  The music is detailed.
 - The cans are lighter than the LCD-X but less stable on my head than the LCD-X w/ the carbon-fiber headband.
 - Annette tried them with her favorite Allen Toussaint and gave the thumbs up.  Look out for #2 to be on order.  She just laughed when she saw the case.  What is that?

The overall SQ is a bit veiled, but I am sure it's due to break in.  I am also breaking in the new Wywires Platinum cable at the same time.  I think the SQ of this combo will improve significantly in the next days.

As always, I hope this helps.  FWIW and YMMV.

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

I have the Flow C and it definitely takes some time, but it won't sound the least bit veiled when you're done burning them in. I was a bit afraid when I first got them, but they have changed a lot to my ears. I'm not sure how many hours are on them, but I have to think over 80. Given that this is less than 200, things may change -- they certainly changed from where they began.

I'm not sure if there's a dedicated Flow C thread, but here are a few impressions.  

- Very detailed and articulate. These things are fast.
- In a completely silent room you can make out what's being played when someone else is wearing them, but if there's any background noise like a tv, then you can't hear anything. When at work couldn't hear a thing when someone else wore them.
- Lcd-x is very enveloping and deep and pretty wide in soundstage. Flow C are even wider than LCD-X, but not enveloping. You can hear *everything* laid out before you and voices are clear as a bell.
- The Flow C have a very wide soundstage but not deep and layered like my he-1000.

I'll keep burning them in at night. I'm a little concerned they they can be heard in a silent room, since that was the driver in getting them. Other than that, I'm stilling forming my opinion of them.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #96 of 161
I have the Flow C and it definitely takes some time, but it won't sound the least bit veiled when you're done burning them in. I was a bit afraid when I first got them, but they have changed a lot to my ears. I'm not sure how many hours are on them, but I have to think over 80. Given that this is less than 200, things may change -- they certainly changed from where they began.

I'm not sure if there's a dedicated Flow C thread, but here are a few impressions.  

- Very detailed and articulate. These things are fast.
- In a completely silent room you can make out what's being played when someone else is wearing them, but if there's any background noise like a tv, then you can't hear anything. When at work couldn't hear a thing when someone else wore them.
- Lcd-x is very enveloping and deep and pretty wide in soundstage. Flow C are even wider than LCD-X, but not enveloping. You can hear *everything* laid out before you and voices are clear as a bell.
- The Flow C have a very wide soundstage but not deep and layered like my he-1000.

I'll keep burning them in at night. I'm a little concerned they they can be heard in a silent room, since that was the driver in getting them. Other than that, I'm stilling forming my opinion of them.

Good impressions. Do you go back to your other headphones now and again for a reference point while acclimating to the new sound?

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #97 of 161
Good impressions. Do you go back to your other headphones now and again for a reference point while acclimating to the new sound?

I have been doing  A/B comparisons quite a bit. Probably a bit too much this weekend. I need to give the Flow C some good soak time.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #98 of 161

- I think, after break-in, they will fall somewhere between the LCD-X and HD800.  

This was how I described it to a friend of mine too. 

I also had myself a shoot-out with HD 800 (modded), HE-1000, Ether (not Flow). 

The HD-800 and HE-1000 were technically superior but I couldn't let the Ether go because there was something special about the connection with music that I had with them. 

Then the most amazing thing happened. The Ether Flow was released. I sold the HE-1000 and the Ether and bought the Ether Flow. I now have essentially the perfect thing for me. A super Ether. All the same things I loved about Ether but technically improved in almost every way. 

I don't miss the HE-1000 at all. The HE-1000 is a headphone that's fun to try and show off to friends; but for engagement and enjoyment, I prefer the Flow by far. 

The HD800 is fussy with dac/amp pairings but now that I found a good combo, it is my "budget" work setup (which has a V281 as the amp and Pulse Infinity as DAC).

Going through my entire audio collection again listening to the Flows as I type this. Loving it.  

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #99 of 161
Testing my Ether Flow tonight with my home rig:  GMB + Bryston BHA-1.  I have only about 20 hours on the Flow + Wywires Platinum cable.  Had read posts about how good these cans make jazz recordings with a double bass sound, so decided to test with this music...the other poster was correct.  Even with only 20-hours on these HP's the instrument separation is spectacular and detailed. The interplay between the bass and other instruments, especially with Alan's piano, is very clear and fun.  I see these becoming my go-to cans for jazz and complex recordings.

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #101 of 161
  @RCBinTN How do you compare Flow vs lcd-x? 

Hi Matt,
Thanks for asking!
As my Flow are not yet fully conditioned, I can only offer an interim impression.  I haven't A/Bed the Flow vs. the LCD-X but that could be a fun weekend!

So far - with the Flow compared to the LCD-X - less impressive low bass, very impressive mid-bass and mids/voices especially the upper mids, a similar sound stage and instrument separation, more comfortable.  I enjoy the Flow the more as I listen to them break in.  I hope the bass will extend a bit lower with time (that's my main love of the LCD-X).  The upper range of the Ether Flow is superb and the speed of these cans is stellar.

Net - I think the LCD-X may still be the rock cans.  I think the Ether Flow may be the jazz cans, and the HD800 will be the classical cans.  So, still need three...

To answer a couple others posts...
 - On Daft Punk "Get Lucky" the bass is certainly there and strong...sounds good to me.  I think the Flow will excel with this kind of music.
 - On Rush "Tom Sawyer" this song rocks in the mid-bass and staging, but a little thin in the low bass punch.  Sounds better to me on the LCD-X.

I tested the Flow this evening on some jazz music - they really excel on this music with great instrument separation - very engaging and fun listening.  The best I've heard short of the HD800. Specifically, Allen Toussaint on his jazzity projects - "Going Places" and "The Bright Mississippi."  Sweet sound.

Hope this helps -
RCBinTN

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #102 of 161

Hi Matt,
Thanks for asking!
As my Flow are not yet fully conditioned, I can only offer an interim impression.  I haven't A/Bed the Flow vs. the LCD-X but that could be a fun weekend!

So far - with the Flow compared to the LCD-X - less impressive low bass, very impressive mid-bass and mids/voices especially the upper mids, a similar sound stage and instrument separation, more comfortable.  I enjoy the Flow the more as I listen to them break in.  I hope the bass will extend a bit lower with time (that's my main love of the LCD-X).  The upper range of the Ether Flow is superb and the speed of these cans is stellar.

Net - I think the LCD-X may still be the rock cans.  I think the Ether Flow may be the jazz cans, and the HD800 will be the classical cans.  So, still need three...

To answer a couple others posts...
 - On Daft Punk "Get Lucky" the bass is certainly there and strong...sounds good to me.  I think the Flow will excel with this kind of music.
 - On Rush "Tom Sawyer" this song rocks in the mid-bass and staging, but a little thin in the low bass punch.  Sounds better to me on the LCD-X.

I tested the Flow this evening on some jazz music - they really excel on this music with great instrument separation - very engaging and fun listening.  The best I've heard short of the HD800. Specifically, Allen Toussaint on his jazzity projects - "Going Places" and "The Bright Mississippi."  Sweet sound.

Hope this helps -
RCBinTN

how bout proegressive rock like pink floyd and porcupine tree, steven wilson, etc. thx mate, Nice Post!
Mine is being upgraded.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #104 of 161
You can ask @purk He has 007 and 009. Best comparison is against the 007  mki. Flow has more sub bass but the 007 has more overall transparency. Both are great, just different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back