Mr. Speakers Ether Flow Impressions and Discussion
Jul 16, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #31 of 161
  Ugh, I was really going to try my best to hold off on buying any new audio gear until after RMAF. The Ether Flow is making this really difficult...I had been considering the Ether earlier, but this update makes it even more interesting. It's got @purk's attention? His attention has gotten my attention!

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the impressions @MattTCG, @purk, @ejong7, and @Stillhart! How would you say the upper mids and treble of the Ether Flow compare to those of the HD800 and HD800S, in terms of quantity? I've never heard the original Ether, so I'm just trying to get a better feel for the Ether Flow's sound signature.

And to up the ante, any comparisons to the Sony R10?

Sorry, no chance to make such an in depth comparison as I didn't have the R10 there and the listening session was rather short.  I still think the R10 has a better tones and sound staging however, the Flow is a punchier phones due to much better bass response.  I also want to state that the gap may got considerably closer between the three phones out of top end amp given that the HEK & HD800 are more difficult to drive properly and as great as the GS-1, my Susy Dynahi is considerably much better.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #32 of 161
  Sorry, no chance to make such an in depth comparison as I didn't have the R10 there and the listening session was rather short.  I still think the R10 has a better tones and sound staging however, the Flow is a punchier phones due to much better bass response.  I also want to state that the gap may got considerably closer between the three phones out of top end amp given that the HEK & HD800 are more difficult to drive properly and as great as the GS-1, my Susy Dynahi is considerably much better.

AH!  Now that makes things a bit more interesting.  

I am not sure if I have what qualifies as a top end amp, but I am willing to bet it is up there.  Currently using a Icon Audio Stereo 20 PP tube integrated, with NOS RCA 12AX7 and 12AU7 from around 1949 and 1950 and 1950's Sylvania EL84 black plates to power my Hifiman HE-560 via a custom resistor network/adapter direct from speaker taps.  So I have just amazing tube sound, and over 10 watts to give.  Makes me wonder if the BEST end game, reference level headphone for me would be the HifiMan HE-6, considering I have the power to make it shine.  

I might have to just buy one and try.  

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #33 of 161
I personally love the Flow on my first listen and that was something quite a new thing from me.  This, IMO, indicates that this headphone has a lot going right on it with very little wrong.  

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #34 of 161
Has anyone been able to hear the Ether C Flow (Ether Flow C?)? I've decided to save for an endgame (just one, I keep telling myself) and The

Ether's (in both forms) are definitely on my radar. I lean towards the "C's" for when the house is in quiet mode...this is too exciting.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #35 of 161
  Has anyone been able to hear the Ether C Flow (Ether Flow C?)? I've decided to save for an endgame (just one, I keep telling myself) and The

Ether's (in both forms) are definitely on my radar. I lean towards the "C's" for when the house is in quiet mode...this is too exciting.

Of course I've found the answers to my own questions here (Thanks @Stillhart )

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814156/mrspeakers-ether-flow-and-ether-c-flow-inspired-by-electrostatic-headphones/45

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #36 of 161
I am looking forward to upgrading Ether and Ether C to the ETHER flow tech. I just hope my doctors find out what is making me so sick. I have been ordered to bed and luckily I have my headphones to keep me company. I hope this constant listening will drop blood pressure to normal range of 140/90. As it is my presure is 165/ 135 and I feel very funky lol. I need to go, the nurse does not want me doing anything. I am glad I have my Questyle QP1R to run my Ether C's.
Take care everyone and thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Best wishes for your health sir - maybe you could try to listen Mozart or Strauss as their music is helpful in reducing high blood pressure. Scientifically proven - http://www.aerzteblatt.de/int/archive/article/179298 
smily_headphones1.gif
    Thank you all for posting  your impressions of the new Ether Flow. I like the design of the headphone very much.  I hope I will have an opportunity to audition Flow in late 2016/ early 2017.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #39 of 161
Aug 18, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #40 of 161
I listened to the Ether Flow Open whilst at CanJam with both Cavalli LG & LT prototype.
Its the best sound these ears have ever heard. 
The Ether are so comfortable I basically forgot I was wearing them.
The sound produced was imense!
I could not go to any other stand afterwards because I was spoilt with the above rig. I had to make polite excuses to leave within a few seconds. The Ether Flow are that good IMO. 
L3000.gif

Suffice it to say I will be ordering a pair when available in the UK.
Dan was also really nice to talk too and just a decent bloke.
normal_smile .gif

Now the pain in having to wait to get them
eek.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #41 of 161
Is there a recommended burn in period for the Ether Flow?

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #43 of 161
I listened to the Ether Flow Open whilst at CanJam with both Cavalli LG & LT prototype.
Its the best sound these ears have ever heard. 
The Ether are so comfortable I basically forgot I was wearing them.
The sound produced was imense!
I could not go to any other stand afterwards because I was spoilt with the above rig. I had to make polite excuses to leave within a few seconds. The Ether Flow are that good IMO. :L3000:

Suffice it to say I will be ordering a pair when available in the UK.
Dan was also really nice to talk too and just a decent bloke.
normal_smile%20.gif

Now the pain in having to wait to get them :eek:  

Did you listen to both closed and open?
Found the Focal Utopia way heavier then Ether C Flow, and that distracted me from listening to them longer.

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #45 of 161
Did you listen to both closed and open?
Found the Focal Utopia way heavier then Ether C Flow, and that distracted me from listening to them longer.

I didn't listen to the closed. I should have done really. Couldn't stop listening to the rig with the open. 
L3000.gif

My supplier will have both so will listen to closed too to see what I prefer. It will be for my office and I don't plan to take them on the road so maybe open is the one for me.

Focal was next door and I should have listened so I could compare. Mind you at that price too much for me.

I think the Ether Flows are fantastic value. Don't get me wrong, its a lot of money but I am prepared to spend this for them.

Next, I have to start saving for a future or 2nd hand Cavalli amp
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back