Mr. Speakers Ether Flow Impressions and Discussion
Jul 15, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #16 of 161
I've already had my finger on the 'buy' button for the ETHER Flow, lol, but I just can't do it yet (I'm going to get the upgrade for my ETHER C regardless).

I was very close to grabbing the HE1000 because of its reported amazing (subwoofer like) bass impact and texture combined with it's amazing soundstage and detail. The thing that's held me back is the mixed reports about the HEK's recessed mids and a slight haze to the treble. These reports could just be system synergy, but I'm not 100% sure. As a baseline I really enjoy my LCD-2.2 for the warmth and when the bass in the track hits it's a fun headphone, but I obviously don't get the resolution and speed from the LCD-2.2 drivers that I'm looking for. That's my goal, a headphone as articulate as the ETHER C (or better) with the bass impact and extension of the LCD-2.2.

Reading that the ETHER Flow "bests the HEK on soundstage and is less diffused" (thanks purk) has me very interested. However, not having a handle on the amount of bass impact gives me pause. I've read the ETHER has a slightly warmer tonality over the ETHER C, and for my new headphone I would like to go for something a little warmer overall from the ETHER C. I can separate overall tonality from driver speed and clarity so that's encouraging to know this may be the case.

I guess I'm looking for something closer to the bass impact of the HEK (or LCD-2.2) with what seems to be the clarity of the ETHER Flow. I know it's very early in the impressions, but for those of you who have heard both my question is this. How much more is the HEK's bass quantity over the ETHER Flow? Or to put it another way, does the bass quantity of the HEK (or LCD-2.2) make it seem like a one trick pony compared to everything the ETHER Flow offers?

By the way, MattTCG and I have agreed a lot on the ETHER C thread, and like Stillhart I also prefer one black foam pad with the ETHER C (1.1). I still would like more bass quantity from my new set of headphones over what I hear with one black tuning pad though.

Edit: Just to confuse matters I was also strongly considering the Utopia, but I just saw the release date in Canada, at a local dealer, is expected to be Dec 2016 (What). Not going to wait that long.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #17 of 161
I've already had my finger on the 'buy' button for the ETHER Flow, lol, but I just can't do it yet (I'm going to get the upgrade for my ETHER C regardless).

I was very close to grabbing the HE1000 because of its reported amazing (subwoofer like) bass impact and texture combined with it's amazing soundstage and detail. The thing that's held me back is the mixed reports about the HEK's recessed mids and a slight haze to the treble. These reports could just be system synergy, but I'm not 100% sure. As a baseline I really enjoy my LCD-2.2 for the warmth and when the bass in the track hits it's a fun headphone, but I obviously don't get the resolution and speed from the LCD-2.2 drivers that I'm looking for. That's my goal, a headphone as articulate as the ETHER C (or better) with the bass impact and extension of the LCD-2.2.

Reading that the ETHER Flow "bests the HEK on soundstage and is less diffused" (thanks @purk) has me very interested. However, not having a handle on the amount of bass impact gives me pause. I've read the ETHER has a slightly warmer tonality over the ETHER C, and for my new headphone I would like to go for something a little warmer overall from the ETHER C. I can separate overall tonality from driver speed and clarity so that's encouraging to know this may be the case.

I guess I'm looking for something closer to the bass impact of the HEK (or LCD-2.2) with what seems to be the clarity of the ETHER Flow. I know it's very early in the impressions, but for those of you who have heard both my question is this. How much more is the HEK's bass quantity over the ETHER Flow? Or to put it another way, does the bass quantity of the HEK (or LCD-2.2) make it seem like a one trick pony compared to everything the ETHER Flow offers?

By the way, @MattTCG and I have agreed a lot on the ETHER C thread, and like @Stillhart I also prefer one black foam pad with the ETHER C (1.1). I still would like more bass quantity from my new set of headphones over what I hear with one black tuning pad though.

Edit: Just to confuse matters I was also strongly considering the Utopia, but I just saw the release date in Canada, at a local dealer, is expected to be Dec 2016 (What). Not going to wait that long.

@purk and I went back and forth on the he1k and Ether Flow several times. I find that while the he1k bass is slightly thicker, I preferred the Flow bass every time. It extends just as well and is punchy to my satisfaction. 

If you are after the he1k, ask @purk I think he is putting his up for sale this weekend. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #18 of 161
wow!!

This sounds exactly what I am looking for.  

After being left slightly dissappointed with the sub $1000 offerings ( finally settling on the Hifiman HE-560 as a slight winner over the HD650) I have decided to go with an 'end game' headphone. 

But, after reading all the reviews, anything short of the HE1000 seemed likely to miss the mark in at least one area.  But, no way can I afford the HD1000, because I am still saving up for Thorsten and his iFi Pro DAC as an upgrade to the iDSD, and can buy that AND a pair of 'phones for the price of the HD1000. 

Anyway, I had settled on the Ether headphones, as of two days ago.  And now I see this????

Looks like I picked a GREAT time to purchase an Ether!!!!!!  WOW!

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #23 of 161
Ugh, I was really going to try my best to hold off on buying any new audio gear until after RMAF. The Ether Flow is making this really difficult...I had been considering the Ether earlier, but this update makes it even more interesting. It's got @purk's attention? His attention has gotten my attention!

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the impressions @MattTCG, @purk, @ejong7, and @Stillhart! How would you say the upper mids and treble of the Ether Flow compare to those of the HD800 and HD800S, in terms of quantity? I've never heard the original Ether, so I'm just trying to get a better feel for the Ether Flow's sound signature.

And to up the ante, any comparisons to the Sony R10?

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #24 of 161
  Ugh, I was really going to try my best to hold off on buying any new audio gear until after RMAF. The Ether Flow is making this really difficult...I had been considering the Ether earlier, but this update makes it even more interesting. It's got @purk's attention? His attention has gotten my attention!

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the impressions @MattTCG, @purk, @ejong7, and @Stillhart! How would you say the upper mids and treble of the Ether Flow compare to those of the HD800 and HD800S, in terms of quantity? I've never heard the original Ether, so I'm just trying to get a better feel for the Ether Flow's sound signature.

And to up the ante, any comparisons to the Sony R10?

Purk will have to answer R10 questions. Mids are filled in nicely on Flow. Treble with the Flow is...captivating. It resolves on par with hd800 without the harshness or stridency. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #25 of 161

I think that it's still the same. I'll double check with Dan though. 

Sounds good, thank you.

It will be interesting to see what the upgrade fee will end up being.  I haven't had my Ether for very long, so if the cost is high it might be hard to justify.  Flow sure sounds like it's right up my alley though, I guess for now it's wait and see.

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #26 of 161
Mids are filled in nicely on Flow. Treble with the Flow is...captivating. It resolves on par with hd800 without the harshness or stridency. 

What!!

you guys are making some huge claims here. I know it is mentioned as being preferred but you guys said better. That is a tall order. ...

what about the soundstage compared to the HE1K?

This is an area where the Flow is clearly superior to the HE1K.  It also sound more "open" and less "diffused" compared to the HE1000.  

What??!!!

These two impressions are like a one-two knock out blow to the senses...
And the wallet...

I like to ask:

1- are the drivers now flush to surface,
so that no rectangular hole for those 1.1 foam ?

2- is the rear material any different,
Like more see-thru or thinner?

3- Finally, how is color the finish?
The website not have images yet.

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #27 of 161
I am looking forward to upgrading Ether and Ether C to the ETHER flow tech. I just hope my doctors find out what is making me so sick. I have been ordered to bed and luckily I have my headphones to keep me company. I hope this constant listening will drop blood pressure to normal range of 140/90. As it is my presure is 165/ 135 and I feel very funky lol. I need to go, the nurse does not want me doing anything. I am glad I have my Questyle QP1R to run my Ether C's.
Take care everyone and thanks.:)

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #28 of 161
I am looking forward to upgrading Ether and Ether C to the ETHER flow tech. I just hope my doctors find out what is making me so sick. I have been ordered to bed and luckily I have my headphones to keep me company. I hope this constant listening will drop blood pressure to normal range of 140/90. As it is my presure is 165/ 135 and I feel very funky lol. I need to go, the nurse does not want me doing anything. I am glad I have my Questyle QP1R to run my Ether C's.
Take care everyone and thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Take care of yourself RD. Health comes before everything, even headphones. 
wink.gif
  Seriously, best wishes and get well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back