MPX3 vs Grado's vs AKG vs ?
Mar 20, 2006 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

giovanni

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I am very much in the mood to experiment a bit with my minimalistic set-up, that is, hd580, MPX3 (with various upgrades, don't ask which !) and my old faithful Mac as source (lossless).

I Know, my questions has no answer, but several different ones. The great news is that I will be able to make it to the Ntl Meet here in NY (first one ever) so that'll give me the chance to listent to some stuff.

Nonetheless, I am just curious to see what you guys might say, just a reaction really to my idea of getting Grado's (particularly which ones are more likely to work well with my set-up). Sort of an experiment to compare to my current 580. And since I read a lot of good things ...the k701 come to mind also.

I will also get a DAC very soon, most probably Lavry.

gio

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 9

jbloudg20

Headphoneus Supremus
What kind of music do you listen to? What is your budget?

The AKG's will be fantastic for classical, but you cannot beat a Grado for rock, especially out of a PPX3.

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 9

augustwest

Headphoneus Supremus
"priority goes to classical and opera"

This is not the Grados strong point. They are a far better Rock/Jazz headphone. You mignt be better off considering the AKG 701, maybe 501 if you can get a close out deal on them. Another headphone worth considering is the Beyer dt880.

- augustwest

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 9

jbloudg20

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"priority goes to classical and opera"

This is not the Grados strong point. They are a far better Rock/Jazz headphone. You mignt be better off considering the AKG 701, maybe 501 if you can get a close out deal on them. Another headphone worth considering is the Beyer dt880.

- augustwest

My sentiments exactly.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 9

giovanni

100+ Head-Fier
ok, thx guys, good info.
Curious now about 501 vs 701, but I am sure there is plenty on that around here...

As far as so called "synergy" with the MPX3 we should be ok just as well with the AKG, I guess?

gio

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 9

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by giovanni

As far as so called "synergy" with the MPX3 we should be ok just as well with the AKG, I guess?

gio

For your chosen musical priorities, I agree, there are better headphones than the RS-1. I believe you would prefer the AKG K 701. I can also tell you from first hand experience the 701's mate extremely well with the MPX3.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 9

giovanni

100+ Head-Fier
ok guys, I should probably give the 701 a try, if/when I find a pair.

It is interesting though, as I have said somewhere here before, I am quite happy with the sound already. But I do feel that sometimes things do get a bit over sweet/smooth. To my ears, classical is evidently not all about sweetness, I guess it all depends of what one means, but there are times when sweet becomes a bit dumb or lifeless and that is not good. I do not experience this very often at all with my current set-up, but I do feel that at times those high's lack some "enthousiasm" that I would expect at that particular time. Basically that is why I am simply looking to experiment, primarily with (a) differen headphone and (b) a new DAC.

And not I need to go back to work !

gio

Users who are viewing this thread