MPX/PPX Slam vs. non-slam
Mar 23, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
yeah i forgot about that. i guess a mpx3 6cg7 converted to slam would be rather expensive relatively

I think he is working on mini to mini adapters for the small 9 pin tubes. Does your amp have the tube sockets that are flush with the case or the ones with the slight amount of silver metal protruding above the socket?

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

silver protruding about an inch

I dont know if he can fit an adapter on that type of socket. The good news is the SLAM upgrade isnt priced much more than the adapters. But its not as easy as simply buying the adapters ... and you have to ship the amp and wait for its return. I still like the 6cg7's almost as well if you are using high impedence headphones. But with low impedence headphones its no contest.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

silver protruding about an inch

Sounds like we have the exact same amp. I'm coming up on two years with mine this July and it still amazes me at times.

It would be nice to be able to get some adaptors so I could try some different tubes with it. I've been considering a PPX3-Slam with a 6sn7 driver but would prefer using adaptors with the MPX3.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 25
My MPX3 6CG7 used to has silver metal protruding, but I just got mine changes into octal bases, with 2 5687 adapters, but I'm still waiting for 3 6CG7 adapters from Milkhail. As far as the sound goes, I think it's worth the change, since I can now run the same amp with any combination of 6BL7, 6SN7, 5687, and 6CG7.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #22 of 25
i have an mpx3 running 6sn7 tubes but wanted to try the 5687 tubes. would i just have to buy the adapters? so i don't have to send my amp to mikhail. is anything else done to the amp internally like psu?

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #23 of 25
All you need is the adapters and the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back