mp3gain needed if using a headphone amp?
Jun 11, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 6
IMHO yes... but it depends on the relative level of your recordings. if your recordings are like mine with widely varying gain levels, then yes its very helpful. I use mp3gain to set them all relatively close to each other. that way Im not constantly fiddling with the vol knob on my amp from track to track.

Garrett

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 6
The digital EQ still affects sound through the line-out. If you have any interest using the less-than-stellar EQ, MP3/AACgain-ing the files is a must. Mine is on 'acoustic' pretty much non-stop now amp or no.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm sorry for being out of the loop, but what exactly does mp3/aac gain do? I was under the impression that it basically normalizes all your songs, but I always read people praising it as some kind of miracle worker.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
I'm sorry for being out of the loop, but what exactly does mp3/aac gain do? I was under the impression that it basically normalizes all your songs, but I always read people praising it as some kind of miracle worker.

all i know is that it's the dead of night, i'm using the solo at 11 O'clock, it's not waking up the wife and my tunes sound as full as i'd like them to be - unlike when i was forced to use a blip of the pot to keep quiet.

all the songs are tagged at a lower db, so the line in to my amp isn't so hot. that way my amp can crank it a bit.

also folks say the ipod eq becomes useable because adding all that gain in the freqs no longer redline the tracks.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 6
I would actually prefer a plugin like Octiv's VolumeLogic were added to music players as it lets users keep consistent volume levels with zero effort (no prepocessing).

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back