MP3-->WAV converter
Aug 29, 2002 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 15
'Good'?

There's a decoder included with the LAME encoder. It's as accurate as any number of properly working real-time and batch decoders, if that's what you mean.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 29, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 15
the mp3's don't all of a sudden sound better when you put them back into wave. decoding is easy. encoding is much harder. thats what you have to worry about. (of course if you're interested in decoding, you probably don't have a lot of say in the encoding, but just so you know)

Aug 29, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 15
this function is built into winamp. simply load of your playlist of just the songs you want to decode; then go into winamp preferences and go to output, then select "disk output plugin" and do configure and point it to the directory that you'd like it to write all the wave files to. then hit okay, then hit play. it won't play them outloud, it'll decode them as fast as it can so the counter should be moving very quickly. this is a pretty easy way to do it, just make sure you turn it back to the waveout plugin before you want to listen to any music.

or you can use lame command line and razorlame. that would work well too.

Aug 29, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 15
As with anything audio, I know you are limited by the source--MP3 in this case. I'm looking for a converter that compromises the sound little or not at all.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the ones mentioned so far and see if they meet my needs.

Aug 29, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 15
mkw is pretty much a standard tool for converting shns to wav's it also converts mp3's to wavs, might work well, check it out at www.etree.org

Aug 29, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 15
uh, i know its always good to get the best conversion possible, but i wouldn't put too much thought into this. sounds like these are downloaded mp3's since you don't have the source, and you've already lost so much quality there that there is no way in hell you'd notice a "slight roll off in the highs" from a wave decoder.

if you have extremely high quality mp3's, i'd assume you had the source handy as well, but still decoding just won't take away anything that would get past what encoding already did.

aim for ease of use

Aug 29, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by TaffyGuy

aim for ease of use

i second that. 99% chance they'll sound like **** no matter what decoder you use.

although, if you made them yourself, you should've used monkey's audio or a similar lossless compression.

Aug 30, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by TaffyGuy
since you don't have the source, and you've already lost so much quality there that there is no way in hell you'd notice a "slight roll off in the highs" from a wave decoder.

i agree. i saw this web site that rated the various MP3 to WAV converters and they found the audioactive converter rolled-off the highs a bit. another converter this site rated highly sounded like crap. in fact, i've tried three or four converters and audioactive is the best to my ears.

Aug 30, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 15
Actually I'm probably looking for both--a utility to rip CDs to MP3 at the highest quality with as little sonic loss as possible as well as a utility to encode Wavs from MP3 sources.

Aug 31, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 15
I use CDEX to rip all of my cd's and to convert mp3 to wav.

It's a free open source program and can be found at http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back