Mp3 to alac
Sep 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SO74

Head-Fier
Hello everyone. Will converting mp3s to alac/ apple lossless in my itunes library actually improve sq or will it be pointless and just make the file bigger? If it just makes the file bigger do you have any suggestions for getting the lossless sound quality.

Thanks

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 22
Thank you. I have other questions. AAC vs mp3? Will changing the bit of an mp3 in itunes improve the sound? Does a high quality mp3 have a notable difference with lossless files with a high end audio setup. Is it worth having expensive audio equipment with mp3 files?When you download a song on itunes is it mp3 of AAC? Which lossless file downloading site has the biggest selection of music? I need one that is legal and makes you buy the music.

Thanks

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 22
Take the test.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noiseaddicts.com%2F2009%2F03%2Fmp3-sound-quality-test-128-320%2F&ei=aikmUtaBGtWrsASch4CICw&usg=AFQjCNFvjM0-vhyhfpifqDe0JvnkkPEo6Q&bvm=bv.51495398,d.cWc

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 22
AAC is better than MP3, so transcoding AAC to MP3 will lower the quality while increasing file size.

320 CBR MP3 or V0 is transparent with most tracks, so chances are you won't be able to tell them apart in a blind test.

iTunes provides mp4 files with AAC inside afaik. Bitrate is somewhere between 128 and 256 kbit/s.

As for lossless sites.. I'm still buying (used) CDs and rip them myself.

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Thank you. I have other questions. AAC vs mp3? Will changing the bit of an mp3 in itunes improve the sound? Does a high quality mp3 have a notable difference with lossless files with a high end audio setup. Is it worth having expensive audio equipment with mp3 files?When you download a song on itunes is it mp3 of AAC? Which lossless file downloading site has the biggest selection of music? I need one that is legal and makes you buy the music.

Thanks

It is definitely still worth having a nice setup if you have all MP3 files, given they are legitimate files. MP3 and AAC are both great at high bitrates.

As for where to get lossless files, I think your best bet is to check the artists website. If they have them available their site will most likely point you to them. I always buy the CD if I can though.

I don't know what you mean by "Will changing the bit of an mp3 in itunes improve the sound?", but you can't improve the sound quality of a lossy file through normal means. The data lost is gone, you can't get it back.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 22
Hello everyone. Will converting mp3s to alac/ apple lossless in my itunes library actually improve sq or will it be pointless and just make the file bigger? If it just makes the file bigger do you have any suggestions for getting the lossless sound quality.

Thanks

It's only padding the MP3.  Can't add information that isn't there.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 22
Take the test.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noiseaddicts.com%2F2009%2F03%2Fmp3-sound-quality-test-128-320%2F&ei=aikmUtaBGtWrsASch4CICw&usg=AFQjCNFvjM0-vhyhfpifqDe0JvnkkPEo6Q&bvm=bv.51495398,d.cWc

I got it right, but that doesn't mean much on a 1-trial test. The question of MP3 128 vs. 320 for me is kind of like McDonald's vs. Burger King. I prefer BK and I notice the difference---but I don't buy either when I care what I eat.

If you're just listening to rock/pop, through earbuds or in the car, in loud environments like the gym or outdoors, then don't bother changing. Personally I'm with xnor and chewy4 above. I prefer the CD's over any version of MP3 for nearly every listening experience. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 22
I did once used to play MP3 files... And then I converted it to ALAC... Slightly, very slightly better sound to my ears and then I downloaded a true FLAC then convert it to ALAC, I a/b my converted ALAC and original FLAC TO ALAC, wow! The quality is completely, different!

At the end of the day, I do not recommend converting any file format to another unless it's FLAC TO ALAC OR WAV or vise versa

Billson :)

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 22
I downloaded a true FLAC then convert it to ALAC, I a/b my converted ALAC and original FLAC TO ALAC, wow! The quality is completely, different!

You didn't really mate. You only thought you did. Either that or you dropped a bollock in the conversion process somewhere.

All the above are lossless files. The actual audio data you are playing is identical. Only the header format and compression algorithms differ. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 22
You didn't really mate. You only thought you did. Either that or you dropped a bollock in the conversion process somewhere.

All the above are lossless files. The actual audio data you are playing is identical. Only the header format and compression algorithms differ. 

Ahhhhh! So sorry. My typo! I mean MP3 to ALAC vs FLAC to ALAC

So sorry... Guess I should read once more before posting

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 22
Well. Not trying to be argumentative with yourself but for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread.

That is also very unlikely.

If you convert lossless to high bitrate lossy ( i.e. MP3 V2 or better) very few people, if any, have been able to prove they can hear any difference. Then if you transfer (it's not really a conversion - the new lossless file is simply padded) that MP3 back to lossless it will sound the same as the original lossy file.

Of course if you try to do it again then you will certainly suffer a quality decrease. Perhaps that's what happened in your case?

ed: spl :frowning2:

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #15 of 22
FWIW, there are some people who will try to tell you AIFF or WAV sound better than ALAC or FLAC, too.

Tried that WAV vs ALAC. Can't distinguish to my ears... But the WAV does take up some more space...
Well. Not trying to be argumentative with yourself but for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread.

That is also very unlikely.

If you convert lossless to high bitrate lossy ( i.e. MP3 V2 or better) very few people, if any, have been able to prove they can hear any difference. Then if you transfer (it's not really a conversion - the new lossless file is simply padded) that MP3 back to lossless it will sound the same as the original lossy file.

Of course if you try to do it again then you will certainly suffer a quality decrease. Perhaps that's what happened in your case?

ed: spl :frowning2:

Indeed the quality suffer a decrease that way but to my memory... It's just a few number drop in bit rate other than that, no differences if my memory recall it correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back