MP3 player with best SQ under $150
Nov 10, 2008 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

DaGreatAzn

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm getting pretty sick of my ipod shuffle, so I'm looking for a proper replacement. Here is my criteria:
  1. Primary focus is great sound quality
  2. Under $150
  3. Good battery life.
  4. Portability

I've already looked through the other threads and it seems like there are plenty of choices, but I am having difficulty narrowing down to the perfect player for me. Please provide your input!
k701smile.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at least do a bit of research yourself man

Like I said, I have done research. I'm having difficulty narrowing down between the choices. Most of the other threads suggest Sony S-series Walkman, Samsung YP-P2, or Cowon I7s.
The time you spent replying to this thread could have been better spent making a recommendation. =P

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont see how recommendations are meaningful if you cant even provide any info on sound qualities you prefer/dislike, current equipments, music types...etc

your own research is garbage if you cant incorporate that much in them, and any recommendations out of this is pointless

Preferences: Good soundstage, Clarity
Current/Past Equipments:
Players: Ipod Shuffle, Ipod Classic, Zune Gen 1
Headphones: Senn HD555, Yuin Pk3, Koss KSC75
Music Types: C-Pop, Hip-Hop, Rap, Classical/Instrumentals

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 35
Which specific Walkmans are you guys recommending? I'm currently looking at the S630 and S730. I haven't looked at all the walkmans, but does anyone know which ones sound the best?

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #10 of 35
Sony S63X series or another fine Sony player
Cowon i7
iPod Touch 2G/2nd choice is Nano 4G
cowon D2
Sansa Fuze
My suggestions are in this order,
as this is the order I rate the
prospective players SQ in.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony S63X series or another fine Sony player
Cowon i7
iPod Touch 2G/2nd choice is Nano 4G
cowon D2
Sansa Fuze
My suggestions are in this order,
as this is the order I rate the
prospective players SQ in.

Wow, you ranked the iTouch a lot higher than I would expect. Is the sound really better than the D2 and Fuze? I've heard good reviews about those two, but not so many about the iTouch.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 35
I'm just sorry I included it in the list when the top price is $150.00, my apologies. The Touch is a great sounding player, just the EQ is horrible. I'm just now getting into amping, and better HP's also, so EQ is really a moot issue. I need to use an amp w/my Zune, so i've learned to adapt, guess I never gave it the credit it deserved. I'm not a fan of the Fuze, and my D2 sounds excellent. But, if I need and amp, or an impedance adapter, w/the D2, the the Zune is definitely an MVP in the game. This then brings the Touch 2G to almost the top of my list also, equal to the Zune I own, though the Zune is a capacity champ @120gb.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just sorry I included it in the list when the top price is $150.00, my apologies. The Touch is a great sounding player, just the EQ is horrible. I'm just now getting into amping, and better HP's also, so EQ is really a moot issue. I need to use an amp w/my Zune, so i've learned to adapt, guess I never gave it the credit it deserved. I'm not a fan of the Fuze, and my D2 sounds excellent. But, if I need and amp, or an impedance adapter, w/the D2, the the Zune is definitely an MVP in the game. This then brings the Touch 2G to almost the top of my list also, equal to the Zune I own, though the Zune is a capacity champ @120gb.

what exactly dont you like about fuze's sound sig? thanks

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 35
I find it bass heavy, and the sound just doesn't leave me feeling "satisfied". It's a hard thing to explain really, as I have a 4gb Fuze that I've lent to my sis-in-law. Everyone who listens to it loves it, I'm just 1 of the "RARE" people who dislikes it. The player is excellent nonetheless, just turns me off. I'm sorry if I can't shed more light on it, but I really don't have a specific answer.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 35
I can say with certainty that the Creative Zen V Plus is a good choice, though it only has up to 4 gb of memory. I haven't had a chance to listen to the Creative Mozaic, but imho Creative players generally have very good sound quality. The Mozaic goes up to 16 gb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back