MP3 player or MiniDisc player?
Nov 7, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #31 of 43
Native mp3 playback is a bit hobbled on the HiMD that support it. Sony seems to have tweaked the EQ so that MP3 sounds worse than ATRAC. Though some reckon its ok, and you can use the EQ to counter this. I don't have one so I dunno. IMO the MP3 native playback isn't a strong point really. To make best use of the players I think you should use the other formats. PCM(WAV)/353kps/HiSP(256)/HiLP(64)

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #32 of 43
Wow that one at MinDisc australia is an amazing deal!

As long as the shipping isn't too much that would be good...

But now I am torn between decisions
confused.gif

Should i get:

AIWA NetMD AM-NX9 - NetMD $40NZ (so far) used for 1 year, near new condition just one scratch on the fronthttp://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...sp?id=39776278

OR

Sony MZ-NH600 Hi-MD + Hi-MD Bundle Pack - Hi-MD Brand new
http://www.minidisc.com.au/product_i...roducts_id=461

I don't know if i would really use the 1GB on a Hi-MD player and would only really use 1 disc if i did as my music collection at the moment is only around 300MB but the high speed data transfer of the Hi-MD player is better than the NetMD one... I'm not that fussy about qaulity of sound but i do want the actual player to last well...

Any more opinions on which one i should get?

There is a big difference in Price between them both, is it worth the $80 extra that the Hi-MD one is?

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy
Wow that one at MinDisc australia is an amazing deal!

As long as the shipping isn't too much that would be good...

But now I am torn between decisions
confused.gif

Should i get:

AIWA NetMD AM-NX9 - NetMD $40NZ (so far) used for 1 year, near new condition just one scratch on the fronthttp://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...sp?id=39776278

OR

Sony MZ-NH600 Hi-MD + Hi-MD Bundle Pack - Hi-MD Brand new
http://www.minidisc.com.au/product_i...roducts_id=461

I don't know if i would really use the 1GB on a Hi-MD player and would only really use 1 disc if i did as my music collection at the moment is only around 300MB but the high speed data transfer of the Hi-MD player is better than the NetMD one... I'm not that fussy about qaulity of sound but i do want the actual player to last well...

Any more opinions on which one i should get?

There is a big difference in Price between them both, is it worth the $80 extra that the Hi-MD one is?

*bump 4 answers*
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #34 of 43
For the Aiwa; just keep in mind that isn't final price.. the price will go up (usually) in the last day. You're still like a week away from the auction's end. I'm thinking it'll probably end up around 60-70USD.

I would go for the HiMD; first of all, it's Sony, and second, one HiMD disc equals three MD discs. Carrying around the player with a disc in it is a lot less than a player with two extra discs. Thirdly, the Sony records.. one of MD's main draws.

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by carsncars
For the Aiwa; just keep in mind that isn't final price.. the price will go up (usually) in the last day. You're still like a week away from the auction's end. I'm thinking it'll probably end up around 60-70USD.

I would go for the HiMD; first of all, it's Sony, and second, one HiMD disc equals three MD discs. Carrying around the player with a disc in it is a lot less than a player with two extra discs. Thirdly, the Sony records.. one of MD's main draws.

I guess its better getting a good qaulity one that will last than a cheap one that will cut out in a few days...

Its just my parents are complaining about me spending too much money
blink.gif

and I dont think i have $120 anyway :p

With the Hi-MD discs, im probably not gonna use 1gig anyway... HMMM.... Decisions decisions...

The Hi-MD player is tempting but even when its discounted it is still a lot of money...

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
If moneys that big an issue a Portable CD player that plays MP3's is much more affordable.

True true very true...

The only problem is the size of Portable CD players...

And thats why I was looking at this... It says 'MP3 minidisc player' but really it just plays mini discs as in small 8cm CD's not Minidiscs. You can also play MP3's on the CD's. The 8cm discs have around 180MB each which isn't much but if i carried 2 around with me (one in the player and one somewhere else) that would work... And its only $25, way cheaper than the NetMD player and way way cheaper than the Hi-MD one.

This: http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...281&permanent=

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #38 of 43
That is not a MiniDisc player unless it is about 8 years old. I have no idea what format it uses, just looks like a standard mp3 player. Phillips never made MD players unless this is some sort of a clone.

Nov 9, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #40 of 43
Ok then, what about the Sony MZ-N710?

It'll be better than the Aiwa surely coz its Sony and its only $10 more...

Or the Sony MZ-N10... Its $20 more but it looks good...

Nov 9, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #41 of 43
My advice - MiniDisc is dead. Sure, players still exist and all that, but it's already dead. If you buy a MD player you're buying a modern Betamax. Betamax was technically 'better' than VHS but that's not going to do you much good considering there aren't any Betamax tapes!

Get an MP3 player. Convenience, portability, more storage capacity, more futureproof, no need for discs, etc.

--Illah

Nov 9, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
My advice - MiniDisc is dead. Sure, players still exist and all that, but it's already dead. If you buy a MD player you're buying a modern Betamax. Betamax was technically 'better' than VHS but that's not going to do you much good considering there aren't any Betamax tapes!

Get an MP3 player. Convenience, portability, more storage capacity, more futureproof, no need for discs, etc.

--Illah

and more expensive...
MiniDisc is no way dead. I could go down the shop right now and buy a minidisc easily for a very cheap price. And even if it will be dead soon, I don't care coz i only would need 2 or 3 discs anyway...

Nov 9, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #43 of 43
MiniDisc has lots of life in it due to its loyal fan base.

The N10 is a Net MD model, and you'd do better with the Hi-MD units if you want to take full advantage of the current technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back