MP3 player for mom, suggestions needed-simple
Nov 19, 2006 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

iq160plus

100+ Head-Fier
I cannot seem to find what I am looking for, though I know it must exist.

My mom wants to listen to mp3 that she will recieve via CD-ROM. I need the easiest solutions to help her listen to these on an mp3 player.

She is 64, and while she is PC literate, she gets easily confused. I wish to offer her some options. While I would NOT say 'money is no option', it is not really the decision maker.

Needed:
Easy connection to USB to her PC. Easy software, that will allow easy mp3 deletions, then an easy way to pop a CD-ROM in, and transfer all the mp3 to the player.

Then I need the player to be removed from that PC, and then sat in a BASE that not only charges the MP3 player, but allows the least complicated way to connect to external speakers. You and I know that we can plug into the headphone jack on ALL players, but if possible, I want a base/docking station that has line outputs so that a permanent connection is made to the external speakers.

External Speakers: If there is a BASE/DOCKING solution that includes a sound system, that is fine. Her audio needs are for spoken word only, and quality is the last item on her list. I am looking for simplicity.

She isn't interested in the FM transmitter connected to the PC, then use and FM radio, since she claims that she will take the mp3 player with her on the road. She is stubborn that way, since she leaves the house about 2 times a month, and NEVER for travel in last 15 years!

Thanks for any suggestions in this area, since I know that this is not about anything hi-fi.

It's just that I am not finding what I need yet.

Also, note that she will likely choose a NAME BRAND she recognizes, so while you and I know that many mainstream brands are out-performed by higher quality products, this is not my goal on this purchase. Thanks.

Easy to Use
Easy to Read Menu
Easy to play: Pop on base, choose song, hit play, likely with Remote Control, through external speakers somehow connected by the USB interface.

Nov 19, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 19
I recently purchased an iPod Video for mom - somewhat older but not as PC literate.

I found that simple interface was more important than expected, and the iPod managed to fit the bill. In particular, iTunes is about the most user-friendly mp3 software out there, and the iPod handles CD input automatically. True, the Nano is somewhat smaller, but size proved not to be an issue. It's very light and portable.

Nov 20, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 19
iPods are the best choice in this. iTunes is an easy-to-use software, and integration is excellent so...

Refurb Nano, if she doesn't want it to be too expensive?

Nov 20, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 19
Yeah, the iPod is easily ideal. With a dock, they'll charge and play pretty easily and nothing gets easier than iTunes.. it does all the work for you. I doubt she'd get confused.

Nov 20, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 19
The refurbished iPods that should up on Apple.com (type 'refurbished') save you some cash.

No matter which you go with if it's for spoken work I'd make sure the player supports bookmarking. Nothing worse that a six hour audiobook you loose a place in for instance. The iPods do, but there are others that do also.

Nov 20, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 19
iPods are pretty user-friendly, but I like my Zen Micro. The Zen software is generally decent. When you hook up the player (via USB) it gives a little menu for syncing music/software, making playlists, ripping tracks to the player, and organizing music. The actual music player it comes with (Creative Mediasource) isn't so great, and it basically uses Windows Explorer to transfer/organize files. You can play stuff from the player without putting it on the computer, though.

Nov 20, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 19
Another vote for the iPod. iTunes/iPod integration is (nearly) flawless.

--Chris

Nov 20, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 19
Since she'll be listening to spoken word, for her situation, why not consider an iPod Nano paired with a Logitech mm50 portable speaker system? The Logitech works like a dock, charger and speakers all in one package about the size of a computer keyboard. It charges the iPod and runs off either wall current or its own internal battery. It can be used to synch with the PC, and isn't necessarily just for travel only, since in this case "big" sound for music isn't a prerequisite (it sounds pretty good, though, for what it is). Very easy to unplug and move from room to room.

My mother is on her second iPod hard-drive player -- I had gotten her a 3rd Generation when it first came out, and she treated herself to a 5th Generation iPod Video (she didn't know it had photo and video capability -- she just liked the bigger screen because "it was getting harder to read the other one," LOL). So the "big" ipod is a possibility, too, of course, should she want a larger screen and/or higher capacity. And the refurb program works very well and saves some money, should that be incentive. (There might still be some 4th Generation iPods available through the refurb program, in addition to 5th Generation and the two generations of Nanos.)

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 19
Uh... if she's going to listen to mp3 she'll get by CDROM, she doesn't need portability and you want a permanent connection to speakers... why not get her a mini-stereo with an integrated cd/mp3 player?
That way she won't even need to transfer anything, just put in the cd and listen.

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 19
Good point, Fallingwater.

The OP said "she claims that she will take the mp3 player with her on the road" ... even though apparently that doesn't happen often. Still, if she wants the potential portability, a DAP would be a fun gadget, if that in itself has any appeal for her.

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 19
thanks for all the ideas. Looks like the iPod nano for sure. I am going to go find the logitech mm50 and see what it is.

She has plenty of money for this project. Anyone familiar with a Belkin TuneSync? I was looking for something like that without the USB ports. I will look at the items you suggested so far.

I bought myself a DELL DJ Ditty. It was fine for the $39 bucks, but I already tired of it. I am going iPod, but I actually have a budget whereas mom has all the bucks.

"Hey mom, how bout qty of two on that iPod you order next week?"

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 19
I guess I'm the only one who really hates itunes.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 19
For ease of use I would have to say Ipod Nano and Itunes as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm the only one who really hates itunes.

I hate itunes as well, especially 7.0, but it's easy for people that don't understand computers to well. The only reason Itunes is on my computer is for syncing, I use Foobar for MP3/Flac playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back