MP3 phones: worth bothering? best model?
Jul 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

fromthelane

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new cell phone and have come across the Sony Ericsson W995. A friend of mine has long claimed walkman phones are the perfect replacement for dedicated MP3 players but I've resisted. This thing is tempting though - 8 gig of storage, clear audio, sense me, and it has an 8mp camera to boot.

So, are walkman phones worth it? This thing is *expensive* and I haven't had chance to listen to it yet.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 21
all-in-one cell phone is like $600~1000 with crazy 8mp camera. I would say it is not worth. for $600, I would go for Cowon s9, compact camera(~$300), and basic cell-phone.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
32 gig 3gs iphone for 299 pretty good sound quality for a phone.

Wrong!

Pretty good sound quality for a portable media player/digital audio player.

The best sound quality for a phone (believe me, I've owned/used every high-profile top-range multimedia handset out there).

tongue_smile.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 21
The iPhone 3gs is a good option. You can upload your music and videos or browse on youtube. I use my iPhone with my Grado SR325i and a boostaroo revolution to give the cans a bit of a kick, it does the job nicely.

However, it is more expensive than the W995. The battery life isn't fantastic and if you are planning on using a dock to play the music the phone signal interferes with the speakers unless you switch the phone signal off. Saying all that I am still satisfied with it.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 21
W995 has gotten terrible reviews when compared to other phones in its price range (N86, Innov8, etc)...I would try to pick up an N96, an old N81, an iPhone, or like many have said, go with a basic phone and then put the rest towards a dedicated player.

Further, the W995 is extremely overpriced for a non-smartphone...the camera is also crap even though it technically has some of the same parts as the C905-

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 21
People irritate me with camera talk! It doesn't matter how many megapixel the camera is, it's the lens that matters! You can have 8 mp but if it's a cheap lens you'll just have large, sh1te pictures!!!

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtype2011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W995 has gotten terrible reviews when compared to other phones in its price range (N86, Innov8, etc)...I would try to pick up an N96, an old N81, an iPhone, or like many have said, go with a basic phone and then put the rest towards a dedicated player.

Further, the W995 is extremely overpriced for a non-smartphone...the camera is also crap even though it technically has some of the same parts as the C905-

I thought the N96 SQ isn't that good?

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hur1214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all-in-one cell phone is like $600~1000 with crazy 8mp camera. I would say it is not worth. for $600, I would go for Cowon s9, compact camera(~$300), and basic cell-phone.

I do that but its a pain tbh. Every device seems to have a different charger, different data cable. It becomes a real pain. I must carry about 6 cables in my work bag.

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by S:I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPhone 3gs is a good option. You can upload your music and videos or browse on youtube. I use my iPhone with my Grado SR325i and a boostaroo revolution to give the cans a bit of a kick, it does the job nicely.

However, it is more expensive than the W995. The battery life isn't fantastic and if you are planning on using a dock to play the music the phone signal interferes with the speakers unless you switch the phone signal off. Saying all that I am still satisfied with it.

No flash and no FM radio. (streaming ignored). Having said that the 3GS seems to be the best compromise at the moment. I was hoping for some better PDA/PIM functionality but its quite weak on the iPhone and no back up of data in 3rd party apps which is a big problem. If I lost my touch or it got damaged this would be a major pain. The W995 seems very over priced for what you get. The iPhone is more expensive but its a better device.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having said that the 3GS seems to be the best compromise at the moment.

I agree, poor selections of smartphones out at the moment. I had the Nokia E90 and was looking to upgrade, with either the N97 or iPhone. The N97 just seemed to slow and the touch screen wasn't as sensitive.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 21
I get why people want this. to have it all in one package. But, ive tried these walkman phones, a great dissapoint just by being used to listen to an iPod. Get a normal portable souce(if ur crazy bout SQ think about an iRiver, or maybe even that ned Hifiman is something to look into) and buy a camera phone with a qwerty keyboard.

Thing is the 995 is so expensive it will probably cost the same as my alternative, well that depends. The only real attraction to the 995 i got was that there were something like 80 movies included. But I dont know if thats only for my country

Users who are viewing this thread

Back