MP3 CD-RW Portables
Aug 4, 2002 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

El~Zapo

New Head-Fier
Hello, been a long time since I've visited these forums but I'm need of some more advice.

Currrently I am looking for a portable CD player that has these features:

-plays CD, CD-R, CDRW, MP3
-enough power to drive Sony MDR-V6 properly
-price under $150 CAN
-power supply compatible (4.5v preferably)

I'm not sure which brands & models are good, but I have come across these at a good price (I think):

Sonic Blue RioVolt SP50: $106 CAN
Sonic Blue RioVolt SP90: $143 CAN
iRiver SlimX 150 ChromeX: $155 CAN

The SlimX 350 and the RioVoltSP250 are out of my price range. Also I've seen models by a company by Napa, but hear they sound bad.

Any help is appreciated.

edit: Just thought to add that I already have a 4.5v dc adapter for power in case some players dont come with one but are compatible

Aug 4, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 17
For anyone who happens to be responding to the prior post, I'm also about to go into the market. I don't like MP3, and with PCDP, MD, cassette, I didn't think I'd need to get into it.

But I downloaded many hours of archived lectures and radio shows from my old college. The lecutres are mostly encoded from analogue cassettes at 8 or occassionally 16 bit rate! They totally sound like crap, but it's that or nothing. At least a TON fit on a CD-R, and I just can't see using 50 CDRs when 1 will do, so that's why I'm looking for a cheap MP3 player.

I'm embarassed to say that for these programs my priorities are exactly what we usually hold in contempt: cheap with long battery life.

The main thing I'd like to know is if I have to worry about the CDR players reading all bitrates. The ads always say things like "20 hrs on a disc" but the sub-fidelity rates can fit more.

Also, do any of these play Real Audio media?

Thanks for any replies.

Aug 9, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 17
El-

I had an SP-50 & found it lacking in sound quality on both the headphone and line outs. Flat distorted sound with very flabby base through my Grado SR80's and Sony MDR-V6 cans. I did not keep it. The SP-100 has a better headphone out. Of the units you list, the ChomeX may be your best bet. My advice is to try anything before you buy, and even then buy from a store with a good return policy. The quality control on these less-expensive PCDP/mp3 players does not seem to be too good- there can be wide varience in quality of individual units of the same model.

Good luck in your search!

Jon

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 17
Thanks jona!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll stretch my budget and go for the ChromeX.

Aug 9, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 17
New Panasonic MP3/CD which will be released on september10:

2002-8-8-10-13-0.jpg

a few spec:

LxWxH=127x126.5x14.5mm

Headphone output: 6mW

Weight: 178g

Price: JPY 22,000

Don't count to much on the sound. Anyway it's cool, isn't it.

website in Japanese

Aug 9, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 17
oh, those pana machines, if anyone know whos ayumi hamasaki......(japanese pop). she has a commercial it.

pretty cool actually.

Aug 11, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 17
El-

I could not resist a recent sale at Best Buy & picked up a TDK Mojo 620 cheap. My initial impressions are very favorable. Lots of software features, decent remote, and TDK claims it to be firmware upgradable. The suppled cans are typically bad 'stock' cans- can't any maker at least spring for reasonable buds???. With my cans the headphone out (antiskip off & AA power) is clean with no hiss. Character is slightly warm so it makes a good match for my Grados. It could use a bit more power, though. It drives my Grado SR80's OK but has nothing to spare. On the other hand it drives my Koss KSC 50's & Sony MDR-V6's to ear splitting levels. Like most of these PCDP/mp3's, the EQ's degrade the sound- I found the "normal" setting was optimal. Bass was solid but not boomy. Mids & highs were clear. The line out to my JMT Cmoy amp yields very nice sound also (albeit with more soundstage and power than the headphone out). I have not had a chance to explore the included software (Windows-only, so I'll have to fire up Virtual PC on the 'ole Mac G4!), but it seems like it offers tons of options (e.g. lyrics display, organizing your MP3's). The Mojo is not the smallest unit of its type, but it has a nice 4-line LCD display. IMHO- this is a very decent choice if you can find it locally for a decent price.

Jon

Aug 13, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 17
El~Zapo

Where are you able to get the ChromeX for $155 in Canada? For that matter the RioVolt SP90 for $143? I'm in PEI and all we have is Future Shop where they want $199 for the SP90.

Phil

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
El~Zapo

Where are you able to get the ChromeX for $155 in Canada? For that matter the RioVolt SP90 for $143? I'm in PEI and all we have is Future Shop where they want $199 for the SP90.

Phil

You can get them @ www.canadacomputers.com/electronics.html

Also there are a few mp3/cd players at www.ncix.com but you have to manually search for them, and their selection is not that big (but their prices are quite good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back