Mp3 CD player
Mar 19, 2002 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ashish

New Head-Fier
In terms of just sound quality which is a better Mp3 cd player :Slimx or Sony D-CJ01.
Also whats the difference in features between Sony D-CJ01 and their new D-CJ500

Mar 19, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 10
I vote for the SlimX

CD-R/CD-RW and PACKET WRITE support (many other file systems supported)

Upgradeable firmware

Might support Egg (EDIT: I mean Ogg) Vorbis which is anyday better than mp3

Has a line out

An FM Tuner

I have two gripes about the SlimX
There is considereble hiss thru the remote and headphone jack but thru the line out its minimal.

Also theres no LCD on the player itself so lose remote byebye navigation.

This is all I know as I have no expeirence with the other players you mentioned.

Mar 20, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 10
Does the sony mp3 cd player have any hiss in its headphone out.

So comparing all features Slimx is a better option.
But in terms of just sound quality is Sony equal or better than Slimx ?

Mar 20, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 10
I haven't compared them side by side, but my opinion, as well as info that i've read, is that iriver made a big attempt to make a worthy headphone output. The output is higher wattage than most mp3 players, 12mW instead of the usual 7mW. Of course, its still just a portable player amp, but apparently its quite good, as far as portable player amps go.

I like that there isn't an LCD on the unit, i'd rather save space and weight on the main unit, and just have it on the remote. and to those who gripe about losing the remote being a big drawback, just don't lose it! You could say the same thing about the headphones 'man, this player sucks, all you have to do is lose the headphones, and you can't use it anymore!' if the remote is always going to be attached to the unit, there wouldn't be a reason for it to be put elsewhere, and would be hard to lose. You'd either lose the whole thing, remote, unit and all, or they'd stay together.

Given a choice (oh wait, i had a choice
smily_headphones1.gif
) I'd choose the slimx (and i did). I think its a better designed player, with more intuitive and useful features, and its got good output stages, as far as portables go.

peace,
phidauex

Mar 20, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ashish
Does the sony mp3 cd player have any hiss in its headphone out.

So comparing all features Slimx is a better option.
But in terms of just sound quality is Sony equal or better than Slimx ?

Frankly the hiss doesnt bother me much but sometimes I get picky...most people I know who audiotined mine didnt have much of a problem...
smily_headphones1.gif
I say go for it...you will love it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2002 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 10
From what I hear, the Sony has the best sound quality of all the MP3-CD players available. I've heard that the SlimX provides "decent" sound quality, slight hiss. Also, I've heard that iRiver uses a headphone switcher in place of a true line-out, so EQ and volume settings actually effect the sound of the line-out on the iRiver. If it's pure sound quality you desire, then I'd advise that you go for the Sony. If you look on eBay, you can get the Sony DCJ01 for almost half the price of the SlimX!

Mar 22, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 10
From the reviews I have read the SlimX does have a better sound quality than the Sony. Yes there is some noise from the headphone out and this is perhaps more noticable when using Etymotics than say 888's.

Yes, the line out does share the same path as the headphone out but it is clean (with the EQ controls set flat) and when used with the Airhead on Etymotic 4S headphones, the sound is easily as good as from the Panasonic 570 or Sony D-915.

I hope you find this helpful.

Mar 22, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Has anyone done an actual on-hand sound quality comparison of the two players ?
Also how is the sound quality of new Sony D-Cj500 player ?
And do these players support 700 Mb CD-Rs ?

Mar 23, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 10
But even SlimX proponents will tell you that hiss is present in the player. Personally, I can't live with hiss. I've had players that hissed before and they drove me nuts. Also, I don't like the idea of a line-out going through all those pathways, at least not for 200 clams. SlimX definitely beats the Sony in terms of features (remote, slimmer size, backlit LCD, firmware...) but for fundamental audio purists, Sony is probably the best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back