Mozilla FireFox 1.0.5 released: UPDATE NOW!
Jul 14, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 10
yup. thats what I usually do with mine, except when Im updating hardware drivers
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed
yup. thats what I usually do with mine, except when Im updating hardware drivers
biggrin.gif

Well I asked because when I installed 1.01 on top of 1.0, it completely corrupted Firefox and I had to wipe the entire thing, losing all settings, plugins, bookmarks, etc in the process. Not pretty.

Maybe it's just me, but in my experience, keeping your bookmarks between versions of Firefox is death. I still have to use an old XML exported bookmark listfile because for some reason I can't import it into my new version of Firefox. Maybe it doesn't support Exported Bookmarks from back when I started using Firefox (version 0.7) or something. I dunno, all I know is I want my bookmarks to be backwards compatible. It's not like that's a complicated feature request or anything
rolleyes.gif

The original problem happened somehow during my shift from IE to Firefox, and from then on i've never gotten my old (and large, and well organized, I might add) list of Bookmarks working correctly.

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 10
I actually had that happen to me once. wiped my bookmarks clean
frown.gif
, but this was on earlier versions of FF though.

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Can it be installed directly on top of 1.0.4?

I just installed 0.5 on top of 0.4 - settings and bookmarks are safe, but I don't have any plugins to verify.

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 10
I solved the issues with FireFox and it's continual upgrade issues and memory munching habits (which seemingly all Gecko-based programs have) by switching to Opera. It has a faster rendering engine and is more stable and uses less memory. And its email client is quite useful yet easy to use. I have been very happy with it since I switched.

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 10
Based on my research and experience with both Windows and RH Linux, I would say that the best practice for Windows users is to backup your favorite stuff like bookmarks and plugins and extensions first. Second, uninstall and do a registry cleanup along with deleting both the FireFox directory and personal chrome user profile directory. Then, reboot. Install FireFox 1.0.5 and re-install your favorite stuff. The only reason why I say this is that the Windows architecture is radically different from Linux and it is generally not the cleanest thing for you to simply keep updating to newer patches. Trying to port code written for UNIX clones to Windows, like translating foreign languages, is never perfect and there is always something that can be misinterpreted.

The good thing to note is that FireFox 1.1.0 is coming out by the end of this summer. So long as the Mozilla Foundation keeps on top of these increasing security breaches, then I would say park it at 1.0.5 and wait for 1.1.0.

Linux users, especially Red Hat, only have to invoke their package management update program to automate the process. YUM & APT work well once the new FireFox 1.0.5 makes it to the released updates repositories worldwide in a few days from today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back