1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mozart Requiem Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music' started by rhizy, Sep 11, 2007.
  1. Rhizy
    Hi,

I'm just getting into classical music, have found the various threads here with recommendations for Beethoven symphony sets, Mahler, etc. very helpful. I'm after recommendations for recordings of Mozart's Requiem please.

Also, I'm in the process of setting up a headphone system for listening to classical and jazz (my tastes are somewhat broader and extend to Arcade Fire, The Police, RadioHead, Dylan, Neko Case, Joanna Newsom etc. but I find myself coming back lately to classical & Jazz). I'm currently considering purchasing ATH-AD900s headphones that will be connected to my ipod and home theatre system (fairly standard panasonic DVD player with a decent Onkyo amp). I will upgrade from here with a headphone amp and a decent cambridge CD player (Azur 640c V2). Do you think this will be an OK set-up for enjoying classical music?

Thanks for advice and recommendations.

Update: I just found this thread and will probably try and get hold of Nikolaus Harnoncourt's 2004 recording on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi.

2. Naga
    i have the karajan SACD version - and i really like it; however its the only version i have and cant offer much commentary on it

3. mbhaub
    Mozart: not to aggravate the situation, but do you want the Requiem as Mozart left it or as Sussmayr finished it? Assuming the latter, the above mentioned Karajan on DG is sublime. But I wouldn't be without the BBC recording with Benjamin Britten, either.

Classical Headphone set up: this really belongs elsewhere. Having gone through several systems, I now prefer Sennheiser 650s driven by an Earmax Pro tube amp and a cd feed from a Marantz SA8001. I've tried several expensive solid-state units, but there is a warmth to tubes that is very real and very audible. Some people want the more in-your-face sound of solid state, but it wears my ears down. I can listen for many hours (opera!) with tubes, but without it's harder. My favorite solid state amp is a Head Amp GS-1. With either amp I have a listening experience far superior to any speaker set up I have ever heard.

4. meat01 Contributor
  5. vcoheda Contributor
    i have a bunch. this is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

Amazon.com
    As with his performance of the Mass in C Minor with these same forces, Leonard Bernstein provides another outstanding performance, certainly one of the very finest available of this oft-recorded music. Without indulging in the sort of Romantic mannerisms that sometimes afflict his Mozart, Bernstein urges his Bavarian forces on to heights of passion and intensity that never upset the music's natural proportions. A magnificent disc. --David Hurwitz

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-McLaugh...9569000&sr=8-3

6. LFF
  7. Rhizy
    Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions - I managed to track down a copy of the Harnoncourt DHM recording in a local store. Have been throughly enjoying it, although at this stage only on my ipod with the oem plug phones - I know not good. Will be ordering a decent set of headphones soon then over next few months a decent CD player and amp.

Also noticed the Herreweghe version in the local store. Might pick up a copy of that at some stage as well, but want to broaden my classical collection a little more first. Perhaps a set of Beethoven symphonies next, I've checked out the great threads on here for recommendations. Have already got the fantastic 5&7 (Kleiber) and a good 9th (Herbert Von Karajan), but think I really want a complete set. Wow this can be addictive. But I'll just build gradually so that I'm enjoying the music as I go, giving time to each addition. I'm also throughly enjoying Mahler (at moment the 5th - Von Karajan and the 1st - Rafael Kubelk) - amazing! Also got Gould for Bach's Goldberg variations & Yehudi Menuhin (Bath Fesitval Orchestra) for the Brandenburg Concertos - think I need another version of that actually.

This forum is a brilliant resource, so many helpful aficionados sharing their knowledge and passion for music. Just listening to Beethoven, Bach, Mahler, etc over the past few months is opening a whole new world - sure I've heard and 'listened' to some of this material before, but not really listened and given it time to sink in. My cultural background is more with literature and I guess it is like spending time with a great novel - it takes time for the structure, aesthetic sensibiity and world of the novel to settle into place, for you to truly inhabit that experience. Just learning how to do that with music I guess.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions and links to threads, much appreciated.

8. bmichels