Moving on from SR-60s what now?
Jul 23, 2008 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

goober-george

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I've owned the SR-60's for about 7 months now, and I think I've got a good idea of what headphone I want next. I want a headphone that displays a little more sense of warmth, and a little more laid back. I'd like the headphone to be soothing and just lets the music to seem to wash over you. Another thing I'd like is more soundstage, it doesn't have to be massive but it should be a good step up from the Grado's. I'd also like some magical, fluid mids for vocals (I really like vocals), a little more kick in the drums would be nice too. If I were to order priority of what I want

1. Soundstage+Mids (tied)
2. Treble
3. Bass

Music I like vary a lot in the Rock sub genres AC/DC, Radiohead, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Death Cab etc. I also like a lot of acoustic music such as Elliott Smith, Owen, Neutral Milk Hotel, Iron and Wine. And now I'm slowly getting into Jazz, I like Keith Jarrett, Miles Davis, Coltrane, some of Thelonious Monk.

I'll be using either a 1st gen zune, 2nd gen I-pod nano, or (most likely) a Sony D-15. Since I just recently acquired the Sony D-15 I think I finally understand what a decent source can actually do. I think the added power from the source helps controls the Grados sound signature, and just adds more body to the sound overall. Before I got the PCDP everything sounded thin and bright and peaky.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 8
stop using the headphone out on the logitech speakers.
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stop using the headphone out on the logitech speakers.
frown.gif

Yea, any upgrade with the specified qualities will require a good amp to make them sound halfway decent.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bout a used stax set up any good ones in the $250 range? I can get an Stax SRD-4 and SR-80 for well below $250. Anyone know how these sounds or are there better options at this price?

You might want to ask in one of the Stax threads. The electrostat crowd should be able to tell you all about them.

Since you sorta like the SR-60, I was thinking the Beyerdynamic DT880 might be right for you. You'll get more soundstage and mids, and a crisper higher end. The bass is different, but it's there and it sounds good. It has a more neutral presentation overall.

Price is a consideration - I think they're going around $300 new. Though used ones do come up and should be in your budget. The other consideration is an amp. You'd probably want to run it with one. That's a step down the slippery slope, but at least you'd be happy on the way down!
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd suggest trying your Grados on a decent amp first. Whether it be portable or desktop, it just may show you a side of your Grados you've never seen (heard).

What I love about Grados seems to be just what you're looking for. Fluid mids and punchy bass is the definition of Grados in my opinion.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 8
A massive bump, but I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on something. I just found out that the Beyerdynamic DT 880s are going for $188 on amazon now with free shipping and it is definitely appealing. Before then it was the Denon D-2000 and I could find those at $230. Then my third choice is the Sennheiser HD-600 which I could get for $250 but I'm quite reluctant.

Since all these seem to have decent soundstage, which seems to be most realistic or fitting for jazz/rock/acoustic overall? Another question is which seems to have the best mid-range. I'm leaning towards the DT 880s now just cause they are so cheap seems like I can't go wrong, and another plus is I'll have left over money to buy CDs. And which sound signature is closer to Grado the D-2000 or the DT-880s? I'm also concerned about reading reports about the D-2000's having recessed mids and boomy bass. Thanks, in advance.

As of now I don't have a dedicated headphone amp, but the Sony D-15 provides a lot of power and I think it can hold me over until I can afford an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back