Moving from Steelseries Siberia - closed cans
Feb 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

YonasAu

New Head-Fier
greetings elitists of the audio world. bear with my ... lack of knowledge. I'm here to indulge myself in good sound quality for once and head-fi is just the community

I've always appreciated the concept of high quality headphones. Was very happy with my Siberia despite them looking quite ridiculous, but moved to Shure SE210 for clearer sound and overall better quality.I didn't notice any difference in sound quality whatsoever, I actually thought it was worse if I didn't EQ it to death. Maybe I don't got the ears for it or that in-ears is not my preference. but it just sounded too clear, no physical action.

150 USD or so, closed cans.
I like bass but not too dominating
only reference would be Siberia as something I enjoyed headphone ways. 
I listen to a lot of fast, electronic songs (Vocaloid) and casually Disturbed and Linkin Park. I have faith that whatever headphones, it will cover most things without making it sound worse.

Looked at
 ATH-M50  and ATH-ES7.  looks is important as I wear them all the time outside around my neck.
a little bit afraid the M50 will be too huge so if anyone can compare them with Siberia that would be great!

Green as grass,
/Yonas

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 17
I picked up a Syberia V2 over the weekend to try it out. Was not impressed at all. Very heavy and muddled bass, with no midrange or treble definition whatsoever.

The M50s are decent...just gave them a try yesterday. The bass is a little muddy, but they're much fuller sounding than Syberias. Of course, they don't really hold a candle to my Ultrasone HFI-580s, so you may want to check them out as well (along with the similar Ultrasone DJ1).

Depending on your styling, I think the Ultrasone DJ1 would look great on the go. They are also very easy to drive with an MP3 player.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 17
first time I google Ultrasone's headphones, they look neat! any risk of running into fake ones on ebay like with most HPs? I'll catch more reviews later of it. more elaboration of them would be highly appreciated too, like its size vs SIberia. the siberia ones looked so huge the way it poked upwards with its arch!

and, were the M50 already burned in when you tried it?

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 17
Can't go wrong with Ultrasones if you want both stylish headphones and good sound quality. Personally I think HFI-580 looks really stylish with the chromed cups. If you like the DJ1 look more (they are supposedly using exact same drivers) which have coiled cable though be sure that it's the non-Pro version or that the specs say 32 ohm impedance at least. Anyway stylish and for fast electronic music and bass that is definitely there but doesn't screw up the overall sound quality, sounds like a short description of Ultrasone HFI-580 / DJ1. 

Phiaton MS400 and Klipsch Image One are the only other alternatives I see in this price range that fits under your criterias, the MS 400 is just tiny bit expensier tho, at around $170 on several sites. Klipsch Image One definitely looks great too but I'd say sound quality is perhaps not concidered exactly quite as good as the Ultrasones or the Phiaton but still good.

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 17
No the M50 were not burned in...but out of the box they were definitely nowhere near the HFI-580. Now, given that the M50 are a good about cheaper than the HFI-580, they might still be worth considering.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 17
I feel pretty much convinced about the Ultrasones. now it's a decision between chrome sexiness or black & white beasts, both look gorgeous!

I don't dare questioning the comfort level, I have no doubts about them. gonna see for comparison reviews and hope I get any hints on their size. I got a pretty small head and the Siberia swallowed me whole.

Thanks a lot ex0du5 and RPGWiZaRD! looking forward to further good news in my research. and a set of phones within this month~

(maybe I should convince my flat mate on hifi phones while I'm at it. he thinks about getting razer's headphones atm so my only duty as a friend would be to introduce him after he got a go with real stuff)

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 17
Honestly, they're not tiny. The band will be a little ways away from your head. That might be a deal breaker, in that case. I have the M50 at home currently (going to be returning them in a few days). I'll compare tonight and try to get back to you.

The Ultrasones are definitely not as comfortable on the head as the Syberias for one reason in particular: they're not light. They're extremely solid though, as a result.

I also have the Syberia V2 at home as well! Maybe I'll take pics of the 3 around my neck.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 17
that would be awesome ex0du5! really interested in seeing the difference, I'll get nightmares if there are phones spacier and is "fuglier" because of it than Siberia. the Ultrasone ones look adjustable enough so the band at top should lie snuggly or close to the head. 

oh yeah. found this. total scam on ES7 or just a lucky find? (400 SEK = 60 USD)
http://www.ioffer.com/149694989

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 17
yeah, had them for 1-2 years. I am happy with what it have done for me.
but I'm moving another step up to see if that difference is there that everyone talks about. Really excited to know!

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 17
any news on the comparison shot ex0du5~?

it also seems the price range on all four im considering isn't that huge so anything goes now. this will be my first "real" reference headphones so
believing anything else would sound better is out of my grasp. the real knocker should be its size ...
oooh looks, hate & love relationship.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm full on work here too. just got my amplifier home today. some cheap-ish one on auction and I rigged up my new system together with it. is about to try it out now!

the amp is a eeh, Denon DRA-375RD with Yamaha NS-s34 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back