Moving from an Stax SRM 717 to a Stax SRM 006t II with SR 404's?
Jun 29, 2006 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jaybar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am bothered by the midrange (2k) treble peak in the SR 404's, which I am currently running with the SRM 717.

Would moving to a SRM 006 t II help?

Would the 006t be a step down from the 717?

Would I need to go to the 007t to get an equivilent level of overall performance?

TIA,

Jay

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 6
It would be a downgrade, and one that wouldn't meaningfully get rid of the treble peak. If you want tubes, try a 007t or a McAlister. If you want to kill the treble peak, use an EQ.

Jun 29, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
Hi

I am bothered by the midrange (2k) treble peak in the SR 404's, which I am currently running with the SRM 717.

Would I need to go to the 007t to get an equivilent level of overall performance?

TIA,

Jay

Wouldn't help. I had this 4040 system with the new 006tII amp, and it was horrificly bad. Trebly, thin, etc.

Jun 29, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks seacard.

Do you still have the 404's? In your signature, I see some Stax gear. Are these older models? Do they exhibit the same issues? Are you using older Stax tube amps?

Thanks,

Hay

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Hi

TIA,

Jay

Jay, I went from a 6t to a 717 over a year ago and IMO it is indeed a step up. Before I sold the 6t I had quite a bit of time to compare the two amps. the 6t was slower and slightly rolled off at the frequency extremes compared to the 717. In fact I find the 717 to be quite smooth and a pleasure to listen to for long periods of time. In most instances I don't have a real problem with the treble peak with the 404, at least with my associated components, But I do recognize that some people are sensitive to that peak so careful system matching may be required.

Ken

Jun 30, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Thanks seacard.

Do you still have the 404's? In your signature, I see some Stax gear. Are these older models? Do they exhibit the same issues? Are you using older Stax tube amps?

Thanks,

Hay

I do have some Stax gear, but I'm currently selling it. These are much older models. The Lambdas had the same issue to a certain extent, but weren't as bad. The Sigmas are very different, and much better in my opinion. They are very interesting headphones, and sound closer to a dynamic than many other electrostats.

You may want to give those a shot, or just go straight to the Omega IIs. I mean, you're already spending over $so much on the 006t and the 404s... may as well spend another grand on the Omegas and be completely satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back