Movies, Music and Gaming.....having trouble deciding which to punt for.....
Jun 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #61 of 78
Spend $60 and get the Creative Aurvana Live. problem solved. it does everything relatively well, including gaming.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #62 of 78
You're liking your new CAL!s then?

Are they comfy?  I usually don't like supraural 'phones very much, but for the price the may be worth it for the op to check out.  I kinda doubt they'll have the smoothness I'm looking for though.  I'm guessing they =233&graphID[1]=243&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]sound like mini-D2000s, which I already decided aren't smooth enough.  They do pretty good for rock, metal, and electronic-ish music but fell flat for jpop.  Not kind to the Japanese language at all.  Sibilance all over the place.  Kind of funny since it's a Japanese 'phone.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #63 of 78
They're not supraaural. They go completely over the ear, they're only supra aural to the biggest ears. I have huge ears, and they still go over my ears though. They're are definitely the smoothest, less 'in your face' sounding cans I have ever owned.

For the price, they are absolutely phenomenal. Rich midrange, slight emphasis on bass, and relaxed highs. They were sibilant at first, but I left them burning in overnight, and the highs relaxed quite a bit. Oh and comfort? BEST. EVER. And I have tried some pretty damn comfy cans.

They aren't my FAVES for ANYTHING, but they are certainly great at everything. I couldn't have asked for a better well rounded can at the price. What I mean, is that there are better sounding cans for music in their price range, and better cans in their price range for games. But the CAL does both of these things well enough, which is why I recommend them for people looking for multi-purpose headphones. They're normally $100-150 everywhere, but you guys NEED to get it off Newegg for $60.

I heard the stories about the D2000, and I don't think the D1001/CAL shares the sound of what I read of about them.

It's weird though. They are pretty bassy off my girl's laptop, but they sound much more balanced (less bass emphasis) off every other source I have tested them with. Guess it doesn't like her soundcard.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #64 of 78
I think I'm just about 100% decided on the Beyer 990's....not sure about the treble but to be honest I really don't know if I'm a treble head or not - I imagine it'll be like bass with it though I like decent bass but I'm not a basshead. Also I'll probably still end up getting the Denons later down the line as I really like the look of them and their build quality. They're probably the headphones to get in the first place but aesthetically and from the looks of it the Beyers right now fit in a lot better with my personal checklist of what I'm after so I'll go for them and see how I get on - they're much more expensive than any other headphone I've ever bought so I'm expecting them to sound significantly better so I don't envisage a problem as I was happy with my other phones for the most part which these Beyers should or will fulfill.

Thank you guys for the help though, I really appreciate it.

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #65 of 78
I've considered trying the D2000 for my hip-hop, and using the DT770s for EDM (Hoping for some Hfi 780s soon for that purpose.) I just hear so many mixed feelings regarding them. Either you love them or hate them and despise all of Denon's products. A lot of people like to exaggerate the things they don't like about headphones. I love bass. If I could, I would become a Cyborg and attach a subwoofer to my head. People say the bass is uncontrolled and boomy. I also hear from others that they are some of the best headphones for their price range. I wish I had a headphone store near bye.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #66 of 78
Quote:
I think I'm just about 100% decided on the Beyer 990's....not sure about the treble but to be honest I really don't know if I'm a treble head or not - I imagine it'll be like bass with it though I like decent bass but I'm not a basshead. Also I'll probably still end up getting the Denons later down the line as I really like the look of them and their build quality. They're probably the headphones to get in the first place but aesthetically and from the looks of it the Beyers right now fit in a lot better with my personal checklist of what I'm after so I'll go for them and see how I get on - they're much more expensive than any other headphone I've ever bought so I'm expecting them to sound significantly better so I don't envisage a problem as I was happy with my other phones for the most part which these Beyers should or will fulfill.

Thank you guys for the help though, I really appreciate it.

Yep only one way to find out what you'll like. Keep us updated with your impressions.

Quote:
I've considered trying the D2000 for my hip-hop, and using the DT770s for EDM (Hoping for some Hfi 780s soon for that purpose.) I just hear so many mixed feelings regarding them. Either you love them or hate them and despise all of Denon's products. A lot of people like to exaggerate the things they don't like about headphones. I love bass. If I could, I would become a Cyborg and attach a subwoofer to my head. People say the bass is uncontrolled and boomy. I also hear from others that they are some of the best headphones for their price range. I wish I had a headphone store near bye.

I feel the D2000s would be very well suited for hip-hop.

Personally, I haven't found a can I didn't appreciate. I do feel the Beyers are a bit too boomy but if you like a lot of bass this is probably a wonderful option for you. I really respect them for what they do with gaming and movies. Excellent soundstage, good clarity, and insane bass. For their price they are definitely worth considering and almost a no brainer if you are a basshead. The 780s are the only ones in the price range I can think of that come close bass wise.

I think I've found what I'm looking for bass wise in regards to the Pro 650. It's a little too early to tell around 20 hours of burn in but so far so good. Insane bass much like the DT770s but very well controlled. I'll try to do a proper comparison once these and the 750s are well burned in. If your interested I'll throw in the DT770s in the mix. I'll try to do a good job but I'm not the most experienced listener so don't expect too much. Oh and it'll be a while on the review. I have way too many cans and not enough time to listen to them.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #67 of 78
Just wanted to post a quick thanks. I am a bit confused regarding your first paragraph. "I really respect them for what they do with gaming... almost a no brainer..." Are you referring to the D2000 or DT770? Only reason I ask is because you mention the DT770 and then immediately discuss "them." I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a jerk I'm just honestly confused by what you said. If it is the D2000, you have tried them for gaming? I did a bit of research and found that people suggested the DT770/80 over the D2000 for gaming, especially on this forum. However, I would like a pair of headphones dedicated to hip-hop / EDM and not gaming. I have my gaming cans and love them, now that I think about it I'm not sure there are too many other options for gaming when it comes to my personal tastes. However if the D2000 and Hfi 780 are enjoyable I most definitely would love to own both of them. I'll get rid of my DJ1 Pros for the Hfi 780s (maybe the Proline? You said you liked them?) And sell my AD700 and pay the cash difference.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #68 of 78
lol. Sorry about that. I read it and it confused me a bit too. I meant to have a break between the first sentence and the rest of the paragraph. In the first paragraph, I was referring to the DT770s on all accounts. I have tried the D2000s with gaming and they do well but they are not as good as the DT770s. It's one of the ways I test my cans for soundstage, clarity, and imaging. I do feel there are a couple of options as far as personal preference goes with gaming but it's pretty limited mostly to how much bass, soundstage, imaging quality, and clarity you'd like.

I'll try to put a rough perspective on the bass quantity of the two cans (out of 10): DT770s: 9  D2000: 6.5-7
Bass Quality: DT770s: 6-6.5  D2000s: 7.5-8

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #69 of 78
Sweet, thanks. I think I read this same exact statement in another thread regarding D2000. Someone said the DT770 have more quantity, but despite popular belief the D2000 has "better" bass. So many people say it's bloated, but those who compile thorough reviews tend to say the bass is well refined.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #70 of 78
The D2000s could only be described as bloated if you have some very high standards for your bass.  It isn't the very tightest, but I'm not sure I know of much that will be tighter, without having less.  Maybe the JVC DX1000?  Wouldn't know for sure, I haven't heard it.  Or possibly the D5000 or D7000.  All of those are a lot more money though.

The 990/600s had about the same amount, but was a lot tighter though.  I liked the 990s better than the D2000s for MC Hawking (which is the closest thing to hip hop I listen to), E Nomine (I'm not even gonna try to pick a 'techno' subgenre, I don't listen to enough), and all the techno-ish stuff from here that I listen to.  For rock and metal I was always wondering if the guitar was supposed that high-pitched though.  If I could afford to, I would have kept the DT990s for that and gaming, but I can't justify 2 pair at the moment.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #71 of 78
What you have written offends me. I've read it to myself in the most sarcastic tone I can manage, and I'm dumbfounded... JK, thanks for the input though. I figured as much, people who downsize the D2000 just have really high standards, and are willing to spend thousands of dollars on headphones and equipment (not me.) I'm sure I'd love them :).

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #72 of 78
I agree with maverick. The only thing is they do like some sort of amping. Unamped from my mp3 player the bass seemed boomy and uncontrolled still listenable though not as enjoyable. When I got an amp for them I was blown away by the difference. Everything sounded better and the bass tightened up considerably.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #73 of 78
I never actually tried the D2000s unamped.  Too late now though.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #74 of 78
Quick question more out of pure curiosity itch and the need to scratch.....something I've been wondering....would you say the Beyer DT990 Pro's are better than the Sennheiser HD 595's ?

There should be because the price is about £40 in excess in favor of the Beyers, but I figure if anyone knows for sure it's you guys.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back