Movies, Music and Gaming.....having trouble deciding which to punt for.....
Jun 13, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #31 of 78
Quote:
How many hours do you have on the DT990s?

Probably around 36 or so.  I've been listening to them or letting the sit in the corner playing some sine wave sweeps since I got them two days ago.  I would think from a mechanical perspective, that most of the break in would happen in a relatively sort amount of time, but I've still got plenty of time before I have to make a decision to return them, if your experience suggests that more time will be useful.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #32 of 78
Yeah, I think most burn-in does occur early on. If you could put 100 hours that would be great. Probably nothing too dramatic will happen though. I'd really like to try these but the nasty treble on the 250 ohm kinda scares me off. It's a shame because the bass, clarity, soundstage, and comfort are all great.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #33 of 78
I think these may sound a lot better from a decent tube amp.  Right now I'm trying my Maverick D1's tube preout to my Total Bithead and the treble seems quite a bit smoother.  I'll have to listen for a few hours and see if my ears hate me for it to be sure though.

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #34 of 78

Quote:
Yeah, I think most burn-in does occur early on. If you could put 100 hours that would be great. Probably nothing too dramatic will happen though. I'd really like to try these but the nasty treble on the 250 ohm kinda scares me off. It's a shame because the bass, clarity, soundstage, and comfort are all great.

well.... to be honest, the first 20 hours or so with my 990/600's was actually a good experience. I experienced no signs of sharp/ aggressive treble attacks whatsoever. But after that.... yeah.....................................................

I'm inclined to think that burn in just made the situation worse. These really do sound much more detailed, airy, musical and lowest to lows of bass spectrum is instantly more dynamic around 100 hour burn-in; but at the same time, the treble ringings becomes more apparent and greatly noticeable.  So i don't know what the hell is going on here.

Quote:
I think these may sound a lot better from a decent tube amp.  Right now I'm trying my Maverick D1's tube preout to my Total Bithead and the treble seems quite a bit smoother.  I'll have to listen for a few hours and see if my ears hate me for it to be sure though.

doubt it. It's prbably just placebo with some sort of luck factoring in on the recordings. Because I have a Woo Audio 3 tube amp; and those are "supposedly" said to smooth out the beyers treble, right? Well.. not in my case scenario. 

edit: I recently read that misaligned, dirty and other  factors that can greatly affect the sound coming out of the tube amplifiers. And i do notice my tubes being in grainy/some-what unclean condition. So i did some searching on e-bay and they had some oxidizing kits to completely clean off the metal glass-type rust from the pins.   I found this product http://cgi.ebay.com/DEOXIT-PROGOLD-CONNECTOR-TREATMENTS-CLEANER-PROTECTOR-/280401958904?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41494257f8         looks pretty helpful and future-proof. Not bad for $15, so i decided to pounce on it.  The seller is pretty far from my location, so there will be quite a bit of waiting time =\ 

If that doesn't work out, I'll try tube rolling with some different alternatives to see if there's any hope. But if everything fails, I have no choice but to sell both the DT880 and the DT990's (both 600ohm version). I think since I already have an OTL amp, it's not a good idea to get the Denon D2000 or the M50's since both of those are low impedance.  And it would be stupid to have this amp collect dust, there's no point in having it in the first place then.

I think with the money i get from selling the beyers, I'll just pull the trigger on some brand new Sennheiser HD650 and never look back. Yeah, i know know, I'll miss the attributes of what the beyers brought to the table, but for something just on par that does nicely as an all-rounder(+ no harsh treble !!) I'll be a pretty happy camper for the time being.

The wait for that tube cleaning kit begins
popcorn.gif
. Oh and keep us updated when you get the Denon's Maverionon !

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #35 of 78
Actually, now that I think about it the first 5-10 hours or so I wasn't really bothered by the treble.  Also the tube out didn't make a difference in the long run.  I think it was different in that the highs were a bit smoother, but they were still too loud, no matter how smooth they were.  I could be wrong though.

The denons should arrive tomorrow morning, so I'm going to listen to them all day at work on my Bithead, compare to Maverick when I get home, and probably post some initial findings.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #36 of 78
Well I actually appreciate these small conflicts. I wasn't too sure how harsh the treble really was. It may make me reconsider purchasing these in the near future.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #37 of 78
Quote:
Well I actually appreciate these small conflicts. I wasn't too sure how harsh the treble really was. It may make me reconsider purchasing these in the near future.

I wouldn't unless you already know you're a treble head, or at least get a chance to borrow a pair and listen to it for a few nights.  20 minutes at canjam was enough to make me think I wanted it, but that turned out to be wrong.  On the other hand if you don't mind the treble, everything else about the 990/600s is great.

Makes me a little angry since I want to like them so much, but I just can't.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #38 of 78
Piercing treble can put off anyone. Treble is such a sensitive issue here. It's very hard to get just right. Either the treble is too harsh, or too muddy. Rarely do I hear about the perfect amount. I myself am used to harsh treble from practically every headphone. I'd prefer harsh over muddy.

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #39 of 78
Quote:
Piercing treble can put off anyone. Treble is such a sensitive issue here. It's very hard to get just right. Either the treble is too harsh, or too muddy. Rarely do I hear about the perfect amount. I myself am used to harsh treble from practically every headphone. I'd prefer harsh over muddy.

Ha you changed your avatar again?  I've lost count already...

I think I'd prefer no treble at all over harsh, and I'd certainly take muddy over harsh.  If I can only listen for 10 minutes at a time, then they're useless to me.  My everyday work 'phones are SE530s.  Their treble falls of a cliff pretty early, but that lets me listen to my death/black metal pandora station for 8 hours straight at work.  I actually like the sound better with some more treble in it, but I just can't bare to listen to it for very long.  At first I was like, "Ahh, So that's were all the cymbals went," but as it progressed, it grated on my nerves, and then on my ear drums.  I'd guess it's difficult because people have strict limits on the amount of treble they can take, but that limit varies widely from person to person.  No real data to back that up, though.  It's more of a hunch.

I hope the D2000s work out.  Their treble seems a little harsher from my Maverick D1 than from my Bithead.  I'm gonna try rolling some opamps and see what happens.

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #40 of 78
Told you guys, MLE changes it once a day. It's the norm, I find it EXHILARATING! What will he use next? Just thinking about it makes me tingle with excitement!

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #41 of 78
I'm loving my avi atm. I''ll probably be keeping it for awhile.

Blasphemy, I know.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #44 of 78
I'm obsessed with Tifa, so I don't see myself changing this one for awhile. trust me. XD

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #45 of 78
Quote:
I'm obsessed with Tifa, so I don't see myself changing this one for awhile. trust me. XD

Oh, so that's who she is.  She has such a pissed off look in her eyes I didn't even recognize her.

More or less back on topic, my DT990/600 will have more than 100 hours of burn in by the time I get home from work tonight, so the face of will begin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back