Movies, Music and Gaming.....having trouble deciding which to punt for.....
Jun 11, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 78
yeah, I'll be definitely looking forward to your impressions of the dt990
biggrin.gif
Although, when i first received my DT990's, i was extremely happy with them, then after a couple hundred hours when the mids opened up & the bass and everything become more tighter and deeper, that's when i actually started to notice the sharp treble spikes from time to time.

So an impression the first day you get them would be nice, but also let them burn in a little longer before you're fully sure if you decide on keeping them or not.

It's usually a hit and miss thing with the beyers. But since you enjoyed them at Canjam, you'll probably love them.

By the way, do you still have the Senn's HD650? I would also love a comparison between them and the 990's. I think ima do a little bit more reading before i pounce on the ATH-m50's.

keep us updated ! 

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #19 of 78
Quote:
By the way, do you still have the Senn's HD650? I would also love a comparison between them and the 990's. I think ima do a little bit more reading before i pounce on the ATH-m50's.

keep us updated ! 

I never owned the 650s, but I did get to listen to them for about 45 minutes or so at canjam.  Longer than I got to listen to the known DT990/600s.  I had a collection of bookmarks on my Cowon D2+, set to about 20 different passages from songs that were representative of what I listen to, and some others which were designed to test the 'phones on a more technical level.  After that I would listen to some entire songs if there wasn't a line forming behind me or something.  As such I can't give much more of an opinion regarding the differences between the HD650s and anything else.  I've got my notes and my memories, but that's it.  All of these opinions and impressions came from canjam.  The only working, higher end 'phone I have at the moment are the SE530s, though the DT990/600s should be here in another hour of so.

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #20 of 78
Just got my 990/600s.  They measured fine with my multimeter.  Put on some Rush and Presto, no mids buried under 6' of wet clay.  Just a tad bit recessed.  It official, the guy at the Beyer table was an idiot.  More thoughts later.

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #23 of 78
Quote:
Lol, bit harsh :p

I stand by it.  If you trying to sell 'phones that look identical but have different drivers then it's quite important to actually know which drivers are in which 'phones.  Something that would have been useful then, but that I just found out this morning in another thread is that they have the impedance stamped on the end of the plug.  How can you not know that when you're supposed to be selling the things?  That's not the end of his idiocy though.  When I pulled out my D2+ and a mini-RCA cable and asked if I could hook it up and listen to my own music, he proceeded to stare at the back of the amp, which included 4 RCA sockets labeled analog input 1 and analog input 2 and then said, "Yeah sure.  Wait, I don't know if you can hook it up to this amp."  I then showed him how to hook up and DAP to this amp which I had never seen before in my life.  Not that it was complicated, or that I'm amazing of anything.  He was just an idiot.  Makes me wonder how he got it set up in the first place.  This guy is obviously costing Beyer sales.  If I hadn't heard the pair of 990/600s another head-fier had brought, I would have never of bought my pair at all.

Anyway back on topic...

After confirming my suspicions, I can specifically dis-recommend the DT990/250s including the pros, which AFIK only come in 250 ohms.  That leaves the M50s, D2000s, and possibly the 770 Pro 250s, assuming you can't find a pair of 990/600s for a decent price.  They seem to be more expensive in the UK from a quick look at amazon.  I got mine for $230 USD from B&H photo, which is ~160 pounds according to google at the moment.  They ship internationally, but I don't know if you'll have to pay any tariffs on you end, which might put the price through the roof again.  If the 770/250 premiums I tried at the Beyer table are the same as the pro 250s then they would be a good choice, but I'm not sure they are the same.  Back in the realm of things I'm surer about, both the M50 and the D2000 are great choices.  The M50 is has one of the best price/performance ration out there, but if you spring for the Denons you get the features of the M50s plus a silky-smooth midrange and a lot more comfort.

As for my DT990/600s, so far I'm liking them a lot.  I like the sound of the bright treble, compared to SE530s (which fall off a cliff after 8khz or so...) but it does become fatguing after an hour or so.  I'm gonna see if I just need to get used to it or not.  If not, I'll probably try the felt mod and/or changing the pads around, since I like everything else about them so far.  They're comfy, have plenty of bass without trampling all over the midrange, and great soundsatging abilities for movies/tv.  I was watching something and heard a bird chirp behind me, so I turned around to see if it was my actual pet bird, but no, it was the soundtrack!

They're definitely not going to replace my all day, every day at work, SE530s (the treble falling off a cliff has it advantages, no listening fatigue!) but I think they'll make great 'fun' all arounders at home, which is what I bought them for.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #24 of 78

Quote:
Quote:

I like everything else about them so far.  They're comfy, have plenty of bass without trampling all over the midrange, and great soundsatging abilities for movies/tv.  I was watching something and heard a bird chirp behind me, so I turned around to see if it was my actual pet bird, but no, it was the soundtrack!

honestly, I couldn't agree more maverick !

The comfort on the beyer's are so divine and luxurious. I honestly could wear them on my head for a month straight without an ounce of pain. Yep, you nailed it on the soundstage. DT990's have incredible depth, image and a wide space for instruments to roam freely. Excellent excellent gaming/movies headphones indeed. Bass does go pretty deep, some have reported it having more definition than the GS1000.

about the bird chirp...lol. yeah, that has happened to me on more than one occasions. I was watching that movie Dead Silence a while back... and I'm lucky it wasn't night time..... cause if it was..... I probably would have had some sleepless nights from all the head turnings
biggrin.gif

Dunno what to do now tho. If i go for the ATH-M50, i know they're not going to have that awesome soundstage / level of comfort that the beyers have.(but I would be relieved of the treble ! )

that's good that you brought up the Denon D2000's. I was also debating on getting those. Let me know if you find something that tames the treble on these beasts ! I really would love to keep them, but like i said before, the smoother the treble, the better for me. + It's going to be used as my home rig for 5-6 hours a day, and there is no way of keeping the 990's on my head for that long w/out the harsh fatiguing. 

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #25 of 78
Acoustic Dampening Material:  Four sheets of Bounty paper towels.

Preliminary Results:  Interesting.  Less treble but also a slight reduction in bass.  Clearly further experimentation is called for.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #26 of 78
Acoustic Dampening Material:  Some felt I managed to scare up from around the house.  One piece per side

Preliminary Results:  A step in the right direction.  Treble reduced a bit but the bass is still strong.

Further Testing:  Will add another piece to each side when the scraps I have left finish drying out.  They were way to filthy to be used as is.

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #27 of 78
keep up with the testing/updates maverikinion
biggrin.gif

I'm kinda wondering if the Manufactur 'customizable' version from the beyerdynamic website is crafted better and has less[er] annoying spikes and whatnot. Cause if it's the same thing as the version B&H sells, then i truly feel bad for those people who spended their hard earned money on customizing just to deal with these kind of problems.

Anyways, continue your experimenting and let me know how everything turns out 

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #28 of 78
It pretty much just comes down to preferences.  These DT990s are absolutely great except for the aggressive treble.  Some people will like that more than others.  Unfortunately you can't really determine how fatiguing it will be unless you've got a couple of hours worth of uninterpreted listening to find out.  I really like the sound, but I can't seem to listen to it for very long.

Right now I'm working a couple hour long listening test to see if I still get the fatigue with the 2 layers of felt.  I just started, but unfortunately I'm not very hopeful.  I left them playing a sine wave sweep while I was sleeping but it doesn't seem to have helped any.  I'm going to If this test doesn't work, I'm going to give them a full day of burning in and see if that helps.  After that my only option is trying to find some denser felt at the local crafts store.  Just jamming more of it in there against the driver seems to restrict its throw and kill the bass.  If that fails, I'm going to have to send them back (since all of these 'mods' are 100% reversible).  I also just ordered a pair of D2000s that should arrive Monday, which were my other main choice after canjam.  They'll be part of an extended compare and contrast and the loser will be returned.

Time will tell, time will tell....

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #29 of 78
The 2 layers of felt over the driver did reduce the treble enough to use listen for a few hours at a time but it also ate too much of the bass.  I moved the felt to the outside, between the foam and the ear pad.  That got the bass back, but doesn't soak up nearly as much treble.  I guess I'll have to hold out hope for the D2000s

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 78
How many hours do you have on the DT990s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back