Movies and Gaming Headphone for <100$
Jul 25, 2011 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

el33t

New Head-Fier
Hi,

This is my first post in this forum and I'd like to tell you guys that I'm a complete n00b in the headphone business.

Ok.... so I'm looking for a headphone(for not more than 100$) which I will be using for movies and games and rarely for music. I don't have an amp and the headphone will be directly going into my device (laptop).

I've heard people suggest Audio Technica AD700 for the above purpose. I'd like to ask you people's opinion about it. Also, many people have complained that the AD700's bass is below average. My question is, will that matter for movies and games?

Also, if you know of any other alternative, please post it.

Regards.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 12
People complain about bass all the time, but take it with a grain of salt

I actually enjoy the bass on the Ad series, I have the AD500 because I snagged it cheap.

The bass impacts and is defined well, but doesn't last long and isn't over powering. Which for movies, is really nice.

Also, there isn't a can out then, other then Ipod buds, which literally has no Bass. Every can over $50 will give you bass and people sill still say it lacks bass. But you have to take comments with a grain of salt when it comes to that.

The AD700 are great cans, only good for classical music (again, salt) and are great for movies and games because they don't need an amp, are comfy for hours and have a great soundstage.

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 12
What kind of games? I know some games emphasize on the need for as little bass as possible.
I think you should give us a price range to work with here :D

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
What kind of games? I know some games emphasize on the need for as little bass as possible.
I think you should give us a price range to work with here
biggrin.gif

Mostly FPS. Games like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield......you know the ones with a lot of explosions etc... I think you get the idea
wink.gif

Also my budget is not more than 100$.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 12
The ADs will work well with the games you intend on playing with them but even then, their sound isn't very engaging.  What they excel at is having a great, wide soundstage with excellent positioning cues -- but that doesn't make them very good for movies imo.  I personally think they are too bass light for movies, as explosions and action sequences end up lacking weight.  They're good for competitive gaming but I'd look for something more fun if you intend on using them for movies as well.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
The ADs will work well with the games you intend on playing with them but even then, their sound isn't very engaging.  What they excel at is having a great, wide soundstage with excellent positioning cues -- but that doesn't make them very good for movies imo.  I personally think they are too bass light for movies, as explosions and action sequences end up lacking weight.  They're good for competitive gaming but I'd look for something more fun if you intend on using them for movies as well.  

Well, could you specify an alternative then? Something that costs around 100$?

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 12
TBH, I'm not sure what would be a good alternative in that price range.  You might want to check out Mad Lust Envy's Gaming/Dolby Headphone thread -- lots of suggestions and reviews in there.  You might be able to find something that delivers what you're looking for.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 12
I don't see any problem with the AD700 then. Sure, it may not be the most involving, but it'll help you get the most kills. I don't play CoD to hear the explosions; I play to win.

Quote:
Mostly FPS. Games like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield......you know the ones with a lot of explosions etc... I think you get the idea
wink.gif

Also my budget is not more than 100$.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 12
You might want to check out Mad Lust Envy's Gaming/Dolby Headphone thread -- lots of suggestions and reviews in there.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

MLE talks about how heavy bass can interfere with positional cues. AD700's are popular with the gaming crowd for good reasons.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 12
I don't play too much CoD, but I play a TON of Battlefield and I have no problem winning with my D2k's.  I have no trouble hearing the positional cues with them and I manage to get the jump on my opponents far more often than not because of them.  Are they as good as the ADs in that respect?  No, but I like to enjoy the time I spend gaming and listening to tinny, bass anemic game audio is not what I call enjoyable.  If the OP doesn't mind that, then definitely get the ADs.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 12
If you're worried on the lack of bass of the AD700's you can check the closed version...A700's. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 12
One other headphone that would be comparable in sound quality to the AD700, but closed is the KRK KNS-6400 ($100). It has tons of detail, clear sound and one of the best soundstages there is of any closed headphone under $200 i've heard.
It has less treble than the AD700, but is more comfortable if you have a smaller head. If you have a smaller sized headphone, DO NOT get the AD700. It will be extremely loose. You can bend it inwards to fit a little better. The AD300 fits me fine though.

The KRK would be nice because it's a studio monitor, but has a little extra bass. Probably one of the best closed headphones for gaming you can find under $100. I've tried a ton of them. Too bad nobody has tried it yet.

Of course, an open headphone is ALWAYS better for movies/games. Very few closed headphones for this would get my approval
regular_smile%20.gif

It seems there are very few headphones for gaming that are open and under $100. The HD-555 is another, but I'd take the AD700 over that for gaming any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back