Movie: Kick-ass
Apr 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #31 of 48
I thought it was great, I was laughing throughout the whole movie, either because it was hilarious or how ridiculous it was. Also, the thing I liked was the fact that I couldn't foresee any of the parts. I won't give away anything, but I came in expecting something funny and this movie actually surpassed my expectations. I would definitely watch again.

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #32 of 48
what a pathetic movie...8/10 and Top 250 on imdb? you gotta be ******* me.

Defendor was quite bad, but not nearly as bad as this one...Luckily it's got a few actors from the Guy Ritchie school, meaning we'll see them more often I hope. Mark Strong is just too cool!

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #34 of 48
I wasn't really impressed by it either.

From the previews I expected something hilarious, but it was more of an action/drama film with subtle and dark comedic intercourse, kinda like Hot Fuzz.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #37 of 48
Kick-ass was kick-ass! I was lol'ing through out the entire film. One of the best movies I have seen in a while.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #38 of 48
Yeah, great movie. I rented it expecting... I don't know... but it was really good. Kinda Robo-Cop-ish without the Paul Veerhoeven style. Definitely on my to-buy list.

/hoping for a sequel

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #39 of 48
did they really have to make the little girl curse so much? I'm quite sure she said mother******, screw like 10 times..she even said c*ck. seriously?

what influence will it have on kids who saw that movie, huh?

cash is king indeed: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250777/board/thread/168152784

violence, cursing, poor acting, dumb story, more plot holes than in swiss cheese, rehashing of old soundtracks(they used the 21 weeks later theme for the warehouse massacre, and in another scene they used a theme from Sunshine)...welcome to the 21th century movie industry.

and the telecine of the BD is far from smooth, can't they hire proper engineers? there's a few very obvious hiccups, duh.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #40 of 48
Moontan13:
Robo-Cop-ish without the Paul Veerhoeven style. Definitely on my to-buy list.  
/hoping for a sequel

Interesting, where are you going with that? The satire and violence? That was my favorite part of the movie; the unabashed gorey glory of it.

The sequel has already been announced: IMDB. I'll be pretty stoked for it when the time comes. Now that the necessary origin stuff is out of the way, plus you know we'll get more Hit Girl!

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #41 of 48

Quote:
Moontan13:

Interesting, where are you going with that? The satire and violence? That was my favorite part of the movie; the unabashed gorey glory of it.

The sequel has already been announced: IMDB. I'll be pretty stoked for it when the time comes. Now that the necessary origin stuff is out of the way, plus you know we'll get more Hit Girl!

It's so over the top it's less than satire, maybe poking at the genre? Whatever, it was entertaining, and Hit Girl was the real star.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #42 of 48

I thought it was funny every time. Incongruity at work there. Ever see the Pearl videos with Will Farrel?

Quote:
did they really have to make the little girl curse so much? I'm quite sure she said mother******, screw like 10 times..she even said c*ck. seriously?

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #43 of 48

Moontan13:
It's so over the top it's less than satire, maybe poking at the genre?

I say satire, then homage for the third act. An odd mix, to which I've spoken of elsewhere to when I thought it switched. It weakened the movie a bit for me.

There was also something else working here. The three youthful leads were all raised motherless. Maybe I'm crediting Vaughn with more than I should, but I know Vaughn is of the age to be a Fincher/Palahniuk fan. With that in mind,  I can't help thinking of Fight Club where Tyler Durden bemoans a generation of men raised by women. In Kick-Ass the most hyper-masculine youthful character was the girl, while the young men were both insecure, to a different degree.

I need to dig into this movie again.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #44 of 48
I picked this up at the Redbox the other day.  It was worth the $1.  Had I paid $9.50 at the theater, I might have been slightly annoyed.  The movie was ok.  3 out of 5 stars.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #45 of 48

Quote:

what influence will it have on kids who saw that movie, huh?

I believe it's an R rated movie... So kids should not be watching it and chances are that kids who do watch it have already seen worse. Are you mad at Bruce Willis for swearing in Die Hard? Bruce Willis was my hero when I saw Die Hard as a kid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back