Mourning the Demise of Twinkies, Ding-Dongs & Ho-Hos
Nov 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

billybob_jcv

Headphoneus Supremus
http://hostessbrands.info/

I am devastated. Little Debbie's are pale imitation of Hostess - THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!! The yellow cake inside Hostess chocolate & powdered donuts is perfect. The cream filling of Hostess cupcakes, ding-dongs & ho-hos is unmatched.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 18
Tastykakes are much better anyway.

Mmmm. Butterscotch Krimpets!

Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes:

Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes:

http://www.tastykake.com/

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 18
I don't think we have tastykakes on the West Coast. I will look for them - but I don't think it's going to do it for me, and I know you can't get them at every 7-11 and Circle-K like you can (could) Hostess.

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 18
Tastykakes were originally a Philadelphia-area thing although they're available throughout the East Coast and Southeast now. I grew up on 'em. To me, the Butterscotch Krimpet is their classic.

I'm out West now (AZ), but thanks to the Internet, they're easy to order online. I've been to 48 states, and I've never found any similar snack cakes that are as good as Tastykakes. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 18
There were Little Debbie spokespeople at my local market a few days back. Very never-happened-before, guess they were just here to gloat. The inner city belongs to Little Debbie now.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 18
Since I am a diabetic this has no effect on me but....I am sure many are sad over this news. I did love the chocolate cupcakes when I was younger. No love for the fruit pies?

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 18
I use to occasionally eat the apple pies when I was a kid, but my Mom liked to bake and would often make homemade versions that were killer. So - it was usually a Ho-Ho or Ding-Dong in my lunch bag, and Mom's apple pie when I got home from school!

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 18
Don't give up hope. Keep your fingers crossed some products will live on after the companies assets are liquidated.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 18
Rich guy in Mexico is looking at buying Hostess, might cost him 135 million.
A few years ago he offered to buy Hostess for 400 million.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 18
That would be Grupo Bimbo in Mexico, the world's largest baker.  I hear that they'll be renaming the Twinkie to the cream-filled Bimbo. 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Rich guy in Mexico is looking at buying Hostess, might cost him 135 million.
A few years ago he offered to buy Hostess for 400 million.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 18
Is it the same guy that owns Bimbo Bakeries? That is a huge company in Mexico that already owns Orowheat, Entenmann's, Sara Lee and a bunch of other brands. That's what I figured would happen. The sad thing is that the Hostess employees will probably get nothing, but the management & the lawyers will probably still walk away with a big chunk of change.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 18
Is it the same guy that owns Bimbo Bakeries? That is a huge company in Mexico that already owns Orowheat, Entenmann's, Sara Lee and a bunch of other brands. That's what I figured would happen. The sad thing is that the Hostess employees will probably get nothing, but the management & the lawyers will probably still walk away with a big chunk of change.

Grupo Bimbo = the company that *is* Bimbo Bakeries (it's the "master parent" of Bimbo Bakeries USA).

My understanding of the bankruptcy is that it's the result of the union more or less unilaterally rejecting the management's request to lower their wages/pensions (in order to keep the doors open), because the company was apparently buried under union obligations. So on one hand it's a horrible thing that something like 20,000 people lost their jobs, but on the other hand, they did kinda vote for it. And apparently Hostess isn't too big to fail.

Also how did I miss this thread?

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 18
How is this possible??

The update on the sale of the company's brands comes as Hostess seeks approval in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York in White Plains, N.Y. to give its top executives bonuses totaling up to $1.8 million as part of its wind-down plans. The company says the incentive pay is needed to retain the 19 corporate officers and "high-level managers" during the liquidation process, which could take about a year.

While this is also happening??

In court Thursday, an attorney for Hostess noted that the company is no longer able to pay retiree benefits, which come to about $1.1 million a month.

It seems to me that paying the benefits for even one more month is more important than retaining the idiot corporate officers. Hell, I could liquidate the company - just hand the keys to someone and walk away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back