MOTU M2
Jan 31, 2020 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xeizo

500+ Head-Fier
m2_front.png

I didn't see this one being metioned. It's not a DAC/amp, it's an audio interface for recording podcasts/music.

The good thing about it is, it also doubles as a quite good DAC/amp for the price. And the price is reasonable at 170$.

Usually these types of boxes have crappy headphone amps, while the line outs usually are good and always balanced - which is great. But this one differs having a quite good headphone amplifier, 190mW @ 55 Ohms is a very high output for this type of device. Also, a output impedance of just 0.05 Ohms is good too. Makes it able to drive a wide range of cans, from modern low impedance headphones to classic high impedance cans. Frequency response is straight to 90kHz and distorsion is ultra low. Can't say anything about it's more esoteric audiophile qualities, but it sounds as advertised, clean and undistorted without noise.

The DAC part is surprisingly good for the class, while not state of the art as it is a cheap device it's respectable with a ESS 9016S as it's main DAC. Usually there's something like a Cirrus CS4270 or a AKM4458 inside one of these, good competent DAC-chips but not remarkable. The noise/distorsion figures are very low on both outputs(and even lower on the inputs, -129dB, as this is a recording device first).

Being bus powered, compact, rugged and having LCD-metering for in/out are all pros. The drivers are solid for me so far on Windows 10 1909. There is MAC drivers, and the next Linux kernel 5.6 will have it integrated in the kernel.

As far as the sound, this thing drives my Sony MDR-1AM2s very well. Better than any of my other amps, which all generates a slightly bloated bass in one way or the other. The M2 makes the Sony bass tight and at a comfortable level to the other registers. That's great, as I like the Sonys for their comfort and lightness. The impression of the sound is "very high resolution" with no harsh edges, enjoyable in all regards.

It may not be the best buy for someone only out for a DAC, but if one happens to need a audio interface, and wants it all in just one box: the M2 is a great buy imho and needs being mentioned. Maybe a notch above other similar products.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 12
I'd be interested to get your thoughts given a bit of time has passed now since you posted this. I currently have a Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD as my audio interface and DAC, running into a Schiit Magni. However I've always thought that the DAC is a little lack-lustre to say the least in the UMC204HD and the amp... well, let's just say I have a Magni for a reason!

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 12
Here is a extensive test of several interface headphone amps, Motu M2 is the clear winner on all types of headphones:

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 12
yep I saw that one but wanted another source of information for power output because the figures he has there are much lower than that over a hundred mW figure for 55 ohms mentioned elsewhere.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 12
yep I saw that one but wanted another source of information for power output because the figures he has there are much lower than that over a hundred mW figure for 55 ohms mentioned elsewhere.

That higher figure was from a thread on audiosciencereview, but I would trust Julian Krause more as he actually measures things

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 12
Im considering buying an audio interface and this one I was told is one of the best on that price range. Specifically the m4. Im going to plug monitors and the Magni 3 there.

My question is, can I disable the LED level meter? If I want to watch a movie at night, last thing I want is an annoying source of light jumping around.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 12
I am also thinking of buying this interface. I am actually looking for a DAC to listen to headphones and active monitors, but interfaces seem to be the way to go for those. If that's wrong or any better suggestions are out there you're welcome.

and the next Linux kernel 5.6 will have it integrated in the kernel
That's nice to hear.

Im going to plug monitors and the Magni 3 there.
That's mainly for higher Ohm headphones?
Also, did you buy the Motu M2 and try if you can use it with monitors on TRS and the Magni with headphones on RCA outputs the the same time?
Why the M4 over the M2?

My question is, can I disable the LED level meter?
Would also love to know that. Exactly the same use case. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm using the M2 for quite some time with Linux (Fedora) and it works great so far.
The only thing that's still bothering me a little is a few seconds no sound sometimes when i start to play sound.
It seems to have to do something with the device re-initializing when the sample rate changes.

Is there a fix to this?

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm using the M2 for quite some time with Linux (Fedora) and it works great so far.
The only thing that's still bothering me a little is a few seconds no sound sometimes when i start to play sound.
It seems to have to do something with the device re-initializing when the sample rate changes.

Is there a fix to this?
I also had this issue on Linux, (opensuse tumbleweed) although there was no sound for only a second or two. On windows with drivers installed I don't run into this issue. Sometimes the output from the quarter inch will crackle, but this can be fixed by just plugging in my headphones again

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 12
m2_front.png

I didn't see this one being metioned. It's not a DAC/amp, it's an audio interface for recording podcasts/music.

The good thing about it is, it also doubles as a quite good DAC/amp for the price. And the price is reasonable at 170$.

Usually these types of boxes have crappy headphone amps, while the line outs usually are good and always balanced - which is great. But this one differs having a quite good headphone amplifier, 190mW @ 55 Ohms is a very high output for this type of device. Also, a output impedance of just 0.05 Ohms is good too. Makes it able to drive a wide range of cans, from modern low impedance headphones to classic high impedance cans. Frequency response is straight to 90kHz and distorsion is ultra low. Can't say anything about it's more esoteric audiophile qualities, but it sounds as advertised, clean and undistorted without noise.

The DAC part is surprisingly good for the class, while not state of the art as it is a cheap device it's respectable with a ESS 9016S as it's main DAC. Usually there's something like a Cirrus CS4270 or a AKM4458 inside one of these, good competent DAC-chips but not remarkable. The noise/distorsion figures are very low on both outputs(and even lower on the inputs, -129dB, as this is a recording device first).

Being bus powered, compact, rugged and having LCD-metering for in/out are all pros. The drivers are solid for me so far on Windows 10 1909. There is MAC drivers, and the next Linux kernel 5.6 will have it integrated in the kernel.

As far as the sound, this thing drives my Sony MDR-1AM2s very well. Better than any of my other amps, which all generates a slightly bloated bass in one way or the other. The M2 makes the Sony bass tight and at a comfortable level to the other registers. That's great, as I like the Sonys for their comfort and lightness. The impression of the sound is "very high resolution" with no harsh edges, enjoyable in all regards.

It may not be the best buy for someone only out for a DAC, but if one happens to need a audio interface, and wants it all in just one box: the M2 is a great buy imho and needs being mentioned. Maybe a notch above other similar products.
Hey Bud,
Could you clarify if this interface work best with 55 Ohms headphones, what mW does here? Have you tried the Audio Tecnica ATH-M50X compared to the Sony?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back