Motorcycles owners?
Jul 6, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
Stock mufflers on most Harleys are obnoxiously loud. Baffles out is only for the purpose of making it even louder.

St. Augustine's wonderful City Council is begging the bikers to come here. Free parking during Bike Week. Trying to get merchants to give discounts. A few bars do. It's also become an issue for the next election. "Get those noisy damn things out of our city" is essentially where most of the residents and a lot of merchants are at. During Bike Week, bars make more money, Everybody else loses money, because the regular tourists, who spend a lot more, stay away.

You lighten up and put QUIET mufflers on those things, with baffles.

Wow!! I never thought I,of all people,would be on the opposing end of a loud pipe debate.I'm flattered and disappointed at the same time.

I'm really not trying to start anything here,but you obviously know absolutely nothing about what you are speaking.The mufflers and exhaust system on a stock Harley are anything but loud.They are actually tuned from the factory to give that "burble" at idle which some find objectionable.The baffles offer no real performance gain but when they are removed the "burble" is removed as well.this has been proven not to increase noise.When this is done some rejetting of the carb is needed and a significant power increase is gained as well.The gain on my wife's bike is dyno proven and the bike makes enough power to easily spank all but the fastest crusisers riden by the best riders.

It 's funny that I would find myself defending the exhaust on my bike.I have been against loud pipes for so long and so passionately that I have been basically banished from most of the Buell forums.I have fought this fight against some real nit-wits.Believe me when I tell you that I am the very last person who would ever in a lifetime advocate loud pipes for the sake of being loud.I hate loud pipes and all that they represent, especially when attached to some jerk on a Harley.I'm not a biker.I'm an avid cyclist and resonsible citizen.I would never do anything that would infringe on the rights of others.please redirect your energy,with my full support,to those who would come to your town and cause such a rights infringement and public nuisance of themselves.

thanks,
Fred

Jul 6, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #17 of 38
Fred, (aka TR),

Perhaps I owe you an apology. I just can't remember EVER hearing a Harley I couldn't hear for blocks. Even on the Interstate, when I pass even a full dress Harley with my windows up, A/C on and CD sort of loud, it seems I can still hear it when I'm a 1/4 mile ahead.

As far as stock pipes, they sell them here with straight pipes. Beyond ridiculous. The guy behind me has one. He's scared of it so he never gets on down on it, but you can hear it idle for blocks.

If yours are quiet, I apologize for coming down on you. It's just that, in the oldest town on the continent, with very narrow streets lined with 300 year old, or older, buildings, some ahole on a straight pipe Harley revin' it just for effect really turns people off. Almost turns them violent.

Again, if you are one of the VERY FEW quiet riders, I apologize.

Jul 6, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #18 of 38
Had any of these screamers rollicking around your favorite bassin' hole? Now, that would get me cheesed . . .
eek.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #19 of 38
i ride a kawasaki zx-7r, in lovely kawasaki racing green.

my only regret is that it's not lighter, and is hard to do wheelies on.

i've calmed down a lot lately though, since my best friend flipped his bike doing a wheelie with my sister on the back. now THAT is a horrible thing to watch. they were about 5 or 10 metres in front of me at the time, and my sister wasn't wearing any protective clothing. she lost a lot of skin, and landed in hospital for several days. they were lucky he wasn't going particularly fast at the time.

it amazes me that people will ride a bike without a helmet. what the hell is going through the mind of someone who will get on a bike with an unprotected head? my life and/or serious brain damage has been saved by helmets twice. it's one thing to lose skin, or break something, but who the hell wants to crack their skull open in a minor crash?

while i'm all for civil liberties, and i don't really care if it's legal or not, people who ride without helmets are ******** idiots. all of them. without exception.

oooh, i think i just felt myself making some enemies.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 38
it amazes me that people will ride a bike without a helmet. what the hell is going through the mind of someone who will get on a bike with an unprotected head? my life and/or serious brain damage has been saved by helmets twice. it's one thing to lose skin, or break something, but who the hell wants to crack their skull open in a minor crash?

Well, the thing that's going through his mind is probably his ass, when he's having a crash.
I know it's irresponcable, and I'm glad in the Netherlands you are not allowed to drive without.

But at the end, it's somebody's own responcability.
You have to take that.

Peter.

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #21 of 38
outdoor man -

i agree that people have to take responsibility for what they do. i can't stand the attitude that the gov't has to stop us from doing silly things.

what i'm getting at is that there are so many riders out there actually making the decision not to wear a helmet. i just can't fathom what the reasoning could be.

doesn't look cool enough? get a wicked paint job.
not comfy enough? buy a better helmet, that fits your head better.

even after all the safety factors, you'd think people would wear them simply because of the discomfort of riding at speed without them. ever gone 160kph with the visor up? you put it down, right? ... because it's MUCH more comfortable and enjoyable.

i've had a dragonfly hit me square in the visor at over 100kph. i had only just put the visor down a momnet earlier, but judging by the almighty bang i heard when it hit, i'd hate to think what would have happened if it had hit me right in the face.

--

i suppose there are people who recoil in horror at the thought of jumping out of a plane too though, so it's all relative.

in the words of opus, "to each his dentifrice".

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #22 of 38
Lucien.

A Question?

When you don't like that attitude.
Then what is your opinion about the US law about fire-arms.
And thinking about what happend the last year in the US.

Peter.

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #23 of 38
peter -

i'm of two minds on the subject. i don't like government regulation too much, but on the other hand, there is no reason whatsoever to have a handgun, particularly one that is carried around concealed.

i'm happier, and feel safer in australia, where guns are entirely illegal except for within the confines of shooting ranges, or rifles for farmers.

if people really want to shoot for sport, then use a rifle or shotgun. at least they're not likely to be brought to school un-noticed.

having said that, i think that school shootings and mass murder indicate much larger societal problems than simply legal weaponry. frankly, if someone is that sick in the head to consider such an act, then they'd probably be almost as dangerous with something homemade.

luce

Jul 7, 2002 at 9:54 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Had any of these screamers rollicking around your favorite bassin' hole? Now, that would get me cheesed . . .
eek.gif

I lost a Rattle Trap because of one. He had BOTH TREBLE HOOKS firmly imbedded in his leg when he went somewhere else. Probably hurt the worst when I set the hook and broke the 14 lb line. I thought it was a pretty good cast.

Every now and then, one gets killed trying to play games with a high performance, low frequency boat. The only bad thing about that is, it generally messes up the boat.

Jul 7, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #26 of 38
Ooops

Jul 7, 2002 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 38
Regarding helmets ....

I was one who felt that it was the riders responsibility and problem. One event changed my mind forever, I now wear a helmet whenever I am on a bike.

I had a friend in the California desert that was riding his bike down the quiet street by his house. He turned into his driveway and hit a patch of sand. In the blink of an eye the bike was out from under him. His head hit the concrete, not that hard, he was dead on the spot. A tragedy, he left a wife and 2 young children

Jul 7, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #28 of 38
lucien and Outdoor Man: While I alway wear a helmet (and whatever other protective clothing the weather allows or demands), I'm glad MN does not have a mandatory helmet law; you can't legislate common sense! Besides, the posers think they look sooooo good sans "brain buckets" that it's good to be able to identify the morons positively. Actually, MN goes a step further and limits insurance recovery (by limiting insurance requirement) to motorcyclists; if you are dumb enough not to get it yourself, you are not required to carry coverage which will provide for "lost economic benefits" (medicals, lost pay, etc.). So no helmet and no benefits; let evolution continue unhindered!

As for guns in the U.S., the only thing that has been positively shown to reduce violence including that involving firearms is the existence and employment of legally owned and carried firearms. Bad guys don't even like the chance of someone with a gun and the will to say and mean "no, you won't" to their criminal plans.

gaines: I spent a very pleasant day in early June pulling smallmouth off their beds; had over 50 in the boat. What made it pleasant were two things. Catch-and-release trial program lake (meat fishermen need not apply) and power limited lake (no jet skis!). You know, gaines, line is getting so good, you could probably go to 20#. But really, what happened? You didn't pull him off his jet when you set the hook? We got to send you to the knot seminar . . .

Jul 7, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #29 of 38
fishing is one of those things, eh? i'm a vegetarian, and still quite enjoy fishing.

frankly, i don't even worry about catching fish. a day on a boat with a bunch of friends and an esky full of beer is all you need.

the others never seem to be too hung up on the fish either. we did once land a marlin though.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back