Motorcycle-Fi
Mar 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 494

jax

Didn't do the flip
My searches turn up mostly old threads, so thought I'd start a new one to see who's riding, how long you been at it, and what's your current ride(s)?

I've been riding since '83. My current mount is has been the same model since '96, though I've been on a '00 (since buying it new) BMW R1150GS for the past ten years. I love the upright position, long distance comfort, power where you need it (rather than at race-track RPM's), and the ability to keep going when the pavement ends. Before GS's I had all kinds of other bikes and none of them fit me as well as this one. I put far more miles on two wheels than on four, and ride year-round. Tried quitting once. Lasted a year. Kind of like a drug in that way for me.

What about you?

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 494
Been riding since 95. Also on R1150GS (Mandarin yellow) after various others over the years. Including: Honda, Harley (FXSTC), Aprillia Mille RSVR, Ducati 996.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 494
Two (was 3) dirtbikes with old dust on them. My 5 year old daughter takes most of my time away from work. Hope to start riding again soon. Currently a 1996 ATK 250 and a 2003 Gas Gas 280 Pro trials bike. Just sold my 1997 KTM 300 MXC.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 494
IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 494
Quote:

Originally Posted by johangrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been riding since 95. Also on R1150GS (Mandarin yellow) after various others over the years. Including: Honda, Harley (FXSTC), Aprillia Mille RSVR, Ducati 996.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Nice ride, John
wink_face.gif
I haven't rode southern CA much, but Northern CA has some of my favorite roads I've been on and hold many fond memories for me. Top of that list would have to be at the top of your state: The Klammath River Highway, highway 96 between Yreaka and Willow Creek...about 160 miles of some of the most well laid out canyon curves I've had the pleasure of riding. But then there are some of those little intercoastal roads north of SF off of 101....sick....just sick!

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 494
Kind of an odd combination, actually.

I've got a Vespa GT 125 in Cayman. It serves as Santa's sleigh, among other things. I bought it new in '07 and really enjoy it's smooth and gentle ride, but don't put all that many miles on it. It's nice to have when I want to feel the breeze.

4.jpg

I've also recently bought an '08 Ducati monster S4RS Tricolore, but haven't ridden it yet. I've had it in storage in Florida since early November in the trailer that I pull with my motorhome. It's not registered or insured yet, nor I have taken the MSF course or obtained my motorcycle license in Florida at this point. Those are all projects for this Spring and Summer.

1457226999_25bbb35828_o.jpg

That's just a stock photo. I forgot to take pics of mine when I picked it up in Connecticut. It's way more bike than I'm ready for at this point, in all honesty. I've been thinking about mothballing it for several more months and in the meantime buying an older, lower powered Duati monster (probably a 2 valve air cooled) for this spring/summer to be used for training wheels in terms of the MSF course, getting my license, and more importantly, getting my "legs" on street bikes.

Being a bit older and more sensible than I was years ago, I'm not so worried about crashing the thing due to having an urge for speed, but I don't want to be driving the S4RS (4 value, liquid cooled) like an old granny either. That's why I think it would make sense to take my time and graduate up the line. I might even keep a lower powered Ducati for a couple of years and split my riding time between them. The S4RS is apparently much more difficult to ride at slower speeds (in stop and go traffic around town), but it's a lot more fun on the open road than the air cooled monsters. I dunno. I guess the main thing is that I love the S4RS, but know that I need to respect it.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 494
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two (was 3) dirtbikes with old dust on them. My 5 year old daughter takes most of my time away from work. Hope to start riding again soon. Currently a 1996 ATK 250 and a 2003 Gas Gas 280 Pro trials bike. Just sold my 1997 KTM 300 MXC.

Do you ride Trials? That's an amazing sport! It's a shame it's not more embraced in this country as it is in other countries. Nowhere will you learn more about riding a motorcycle than on the dirt. I so wish I'd started that earlier. All of the best riders I know were riding in the dirt when they were kids. I say, get your daughter on a dirt bike! Kidding. No doubt about it, it's a dangerous sport.

Here's a couple of video's for any of you who've spent any time two wheels, and even those who haven't even been on a bike.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

See more of the Romaniacs videos if you like this stuff. If you've never ridden a motorcycle you cannot imagine how difficult the stuff these guys and girls are doing is.

And this one will just make anyone ill. I would be uncomfortable walking this trail, much less riding it!

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 494
I love it! Wow, now that Santa's got a Ducatti does that mean the reindeer are being forced to retire?
smile.gif

I love the classic Vespa style. Honda Passports are stylin' too!

I'd definitely encourage the MSF course. The big danger in the hotter climates like where you live, is the temptation to ride without adequate protection. Don't do it. Sweat's better than blood and broken bones. I speak from first hand experience...and yes, I still ride. Just as dangerous, if not more so, than the need for speed, is the other drivers you need to share the roads with. Be careful...we all want our presents come December!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of an odd combination, actually.

I've got a Vespa GT 125 in Cayman. It serves as Santa's sleigh, among other things. I bought it new in '07 and really enjoy it's smooth and gentle ride, but don't put all that many miles on it. It's nice to have when I want to feel the breeze.

4.jpg

I've also recently bought an '08 Ducati monster S4RS Tricolore, but haven't ridden it yet. I've had it in storage in Florida since early November in the trailer that I pull with my motorhome. It's not registered or insured yet, nor I have taken the MSF course or obtained my motorcycle license in Florida at this point. Those are all projects for this Spring and Summer.

1457226999_25bbb35828_o.jpg

That's just a stock photo. I forgot to take pics of mine when I picked it up in Connecticut. It's way more bike than I'm ready for at this point, in all honesty. I've been thinking about mothballing it for several more months and in the meantime buying an older, lower powered Duati monster (probably a 2 valve air cooled) for this spring/summer to be used for training wheels in terms of the MSF course, getting my license, and more importantly, getting my "legs" on street bikes.

Being a bit older and more sensible than I was years ago, I'm not so worried about crashing the thing due to having an urge for speed, but I don't want to be driving the S4RS (4 value, liquid cooled) like an old granny either. That's why I think it would make sense to take my time and graduate up the line. I might even keep a lower powered Ducati for a couple of years and split my riding time between them. The S4RS is apparently much more difficult to ride at slower speeds (in stop and go traffic around town), but it's a lot more fun on the open road than the air cooled monsters. I dunno. I guess the main thing is that I love the S4RS, but know that I need to respect it.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 494
I got the M1 endorsement (California) last December and own a 1985 Nighthawk 650. I'm still a noob, but I love riding. Taking the MSF course and getting a bike is some of the best fun I've had in the past decade.

Unfortunately, the office has had me pinned down for 70-90 hours a week for the better part of a year. I don't know when it'll end, short of finding a new job, which seems to be increasingly difficult.

Sooner or later, though, I intend to become an experienced rider. It's an incredible thrill -even just mucking around in a parking lot to get used to the bike.

I love the Nighthawk and intend to keep it for the long haul (I've also kept my first car
smily_headphones1.gif
), but have been thinking about a new Bonneville or Monster 696 as an upgrade. Or maybe a Buell - those really speak to me.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 494
Hey guys!
I have been riding motorcycles on/off for 22 years. All since my '78 Yamaha RS100 (2-stroke 100cc) back in 1988 up to my current ride a '08 Honda VFR800 ABS.

Put down 21.500km on the VFR800 so far and really enjoying it. Comfortable to ride, plenty of power resources and a nice roaring V4 engine sound.

Some pictures:

If only all the snow could melt down and the temperature rise above 0 degrees so I could go back riding again.
Hopefully on the road in 3 weeks time, for the easter holidays.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 494
I'm no motorcyclist (Was a budding one until I changed my mind) but my favourite motorcycles are: CB400 Super Four, Suzuki DL650 V Strom and the Suzuki SV650.

Never really liked liter bikes, they're usually heavy and don't say that bikes under a liter aren't fast. The GSXR750 is really quick.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 494
I ride almost everyday unless its under 30 degrees. 2002 yamaha 1600 roadstar,v&h pipes(must be heard),corbin seat(must be comfortable/best seats on the market imo),cycleport full airmesh kevlar suit(must be protected),carbon fibre HELMET!!!!!!!. going for ride in an hour as soon as it hits 30 or warmer,need some silicone for ue cable end molds. been riding since 1965= 5 hp minibike thru dirt/enduro/cruisers.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 494
The bike before my former bike (Z750)...

attachment.php

...my former bike (ER-6n)...

attachment.php

...and my now bike (Z750 2007)...

attachment.php

...waiting for spring.

Now I'm eyeing the new Z1000...

Kawasaki_Z1000_180.jpg

...but not really seriously. I'm still happy with the Z750.

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 494
I have 2 bikes. My loyal ride for the last 15 years has been a '93 Katana 1100 which was the last year that they made the 1100 THEN THEY STUPIDLY WENT TO A RF900...very uncomfortable) Here is my Katana1100:

KatanaBlackberry.jpg

Last year, I went for the fastest production ride on the streets (in direct competition with the Hyabusa) and although it's a monster, ii handles like buttah (even 2-up which I ride most of the time):

TwoBrothers1.jpg

Last year I took level I with California Super Bike school at NJ Motorsport Track in southern NJ with the man himself, Keith Code. It was a life changing experience. This year I am taking Level II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back