Motherboard SPDIF to Coax
Mar 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Denim

500+ Head-Fier
I want to use the SPDIF header on my motherboard and connect it to a coax output to feed a DAC. I know I need ground and out from the header. Is there anything I need to look out for? Standard 1 pair, 20 guage or so solderd to a coax union (or whatever it's called). Distance fom header to coax will be less than 6". Coax to DAC should be only a couple feet. DAC to amp will be RCA, and only a couple feet.

Anyone want to convince me that I should go the optical route?

Advise & Thanks!

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 2

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
You need nothing other than S/PDIF signal and S/PDIF ground (make sure you get the correct ground, there can be lots of different grounds in the PC). Take the one as close to the signal as possible (likely same header).

20awg is very thick, not sure you'll be able to use it, just use any 75 ohm coax cable, maybe 24awg.

Distance between header and RCA/BNC jack does not matter. Total length including the S/PDIF coax cable between RCA/BNC on computer and RCA/BNC on DAC should be at least 6 feet, preferably 15 feet. Just coil the wire around a few times if you have to, optimal length is not "short" for coax S/PDIF.

Users who are viewing this thread