Moth Audio - Appreciation For A Classic
Oct 26, 2008 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Aura

Can Jam '10 Organizer
In light of receiving my Moth Audio EC2A3 from 909 today, I feel very strongly that this now-defunct brand deserves remembrance and appreciation for absolute focus on quality, aesthetic presentation, and attention to every detail.

Yes, Craig Uthus' present company Eddie Current is excellent and is deserving of all the praise it has received thus far, but I largely see it as continuing tradition set forth by Moth beginning in the early 90's.

As I was in the process of my transaction with 909, I tried to research Moth as best I could beyond grilling a few select Head-Fiers and their rather intimate knowledge of the company. Ultimately, I was unable to discover much on my own. It is painfully apparent that the legacy of a brand such as Moth is now carried on by word of mouth. I suppose this is understandable, based on the rarity of said-brand - amps from Moth simply do not show up for sale, save maybe a few within any given year. Since I have entered the headphone world as an enthusiast I have seen only three Moths for sale.

I have found that the Moth Museum, the remnant archive of Moth products, is but a taste of representation of the company and what they had to offer. That being said, if anyone who has experienced Moth would be so kind to share some words (e.g. a fond experience) regarding this brand, it would be greatly appreciated.

My only wish, and the only purpose of this thread, is to provide a sense of appreciation for Moth Audio, and perhaps a few newer faces in the hobby have some understanding of this legendary brand
smily_headphones1.gif

~~~

A few shots:

HPIM3530.jpg

HPIM3524.jpg

1222734479.jpg

DSCN0349.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture196-moth-2a345h.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-s2a3-picture203-moth-s2a3.jpg

~~~

Long live Moth.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 56
Hey, I recognize some of those beauties...considering I've owned two of them
biggrin.gif

Moth is a bonafide classic. The fact they rarely show up for sale, and also that when they show up for sale, they are gone within hours, is testament to what they represent. I think if Craig pursued a more "agressive" business model with Moth and Eddie Current, they could have been more "mainstream". However, that would have defeated the lure and mystique that these products have. What one cannot deny is the aesthetic design and sound quality. I have had numerous people come by recently to check out my speaker rig, and everyone has asked about the moth. Some have offered to buy it right there after hearing it, and the way music exudes from my hornshoppe horns and grados effortlessly.

The balancing act, however, should be a new statement from Eddie Current. Last time I talked to Craig, he had consulted and worked with Joel marshall, the aesthetic designer for moth audio, on the look and chassis of the Balancing Act. Hopefully this will renew and educate the new generation of headfiers on what moth was about, and how it exists today in Craig's Eddie Current Line.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 56
I agree with both of you. I knew about Moth from when I was doing a lot of research on singledriver speakers - I have a pair of Cicadas here. Always wanted the Si2A3, and narrowly missed one last year (got a firm offer in for the asking price eight minutes after listing and came in second) then ordered a the Zana the next day. Figured that I should pick one up while purchases weren't competitive!

Though I mostly build my own gear, I do plan to pick up the occasional vintage Moth piece or new offering from Eddie Current. Craig is working on new speakers and a phono stage that I'm very interested in.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 56
MothECDM-2proto.jpg

I love my Moth / Eddie Current DM-2 prototype amp. This was built on a Moth Audio S45 chassis as a prototype for the Eddie Current DM-2 headphone amp.

The Moth Audio retro style is beautiful, they would feel right at home in the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 56
I'd buy one just because of that fine ass logo.

(sucker for good branding)

Congrats on the amp, Bryan.

Hope to hear it someday (so keep this one a while already!)

wink.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 56
Thanks for the comments thus far
smily_headphones1.gif
. Ryan really hit the nail on the head in his summation.

Joel - this one is staying with me for quite a while
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a Moth Si2A3 for sale in the amp section, here's to hoping Erik can grab it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! I'd give it a good home and take it along to CanJam '09.

Also, I'm glad Zippy put up photos of his 6C41C amp - that was probably my favorite at the meet. There were other excellent amps there, but something special about that one. He is lucky to have it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 56
I love how Moth products look, I can only imagine how they sound. Some of those uber low wattage speaker amps must be the bees whole damn legs for K1000 and the like.

Perhaps one day we might see an electrostatic amp from Eddie Current? Perhaps not. It is nice to think about though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 56
I've always loved the look of Moth amps and if only they were compatible with Grados and Sony R10's I'd be all over them, but by their own advisement they recommend Senn Z levels or above. K1000's + Moth 300b must be heaven!

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always loved the look of Moth amps and if only they were compatible with Grados and Sony R10's I'd be all over them, but by their own advisement they recommend Senn Z levels or above. K1000's + Moth 300b must be heaven!

I have yet to confirm, but EC2A3's were built with both high and low impedance in mind as far as I have been told. I currently only have HD580's with me, but at the upcoming meet in Chicago I'll run a few lower-impedance headphones such as Grado and see what sort of results I get.

Thanks for the comments all
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 56
that is very cool. I know their old 300b and 2A3's were completely oriented towards 250 ohm or greater. 32 ohm or less need not apply which basically means all Grados and Sony R10's
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I'd give it a good home and take it along to CanJam '09.

Also, I'm glad Zippy put up photos of his 6C41C amp - that was probably my favorite at the meet. There were other excellent amps there, but something special about that one. He is lucky to have it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Uncle Erik, I'm glad that you liked it. It really is a great amp and one of a kind! Although I'm sure your ZD is keeping your headphones singing just fine.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back