Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #61 of 589
No, the LCD2 and the Alpha Dogs knocked my socks off.

Then soundstage and detail retrieval isn't on the top of your priority list for headphones.  Not saying the LCD2 and Alpha Dogs don't have great detailing but the HD800 is great in what it was going for.  

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #62 of 589
  underrated:
K501

Overrated:
K701/702 Q701
Heir Audio IEMS
MH1

Wouldn't have said that the AKG flagships were overrated... They have as many haters as fans. And the haters always write them off without experimenting with amp synergy. Unfortunately for the AKG's they are very amp dependant. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #63 of 589
No, the LCD2 and the Alpha Dogs knocked my socks off.

Then soundstage and detail retrieval isn't on the top of your priority list for headphones.  Not saying the LCD2 and Alpha Dogs don't have great detailing but the HD800 is great in what it was going for.  

Agreed. I'm a imaging and tone kind of guy. Which the Alpha Dogs absolutely rock at.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #64 of 589
Wouldn't have said that the AKG flagships were overrated... They have as many haters as fans. And the haters always write them off without experimenting with amp synergy. Unfortunately for the AKG's they are very amp dependant. 

To me, most AKG headphones benefits with a warmer source :) something tube will do :wink: otherwise, just get a warmish solid state amp xD

+1 for the Grado SR80i. Not overated IMO. I like the detailed, clean, vivid mids, soundstage, bright and warm sound of it. At $100, it's pretty hard to beat! I personally prefer my SR60i over ATH-M50, SRH-840 and a lot more at $200 price bracket. But yeah, they are closed headphone while SR60i is a open headphone

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #65 of 589
To me, most AKG headphones benefits with a warmer source
smily_headphones1.gif
something tube will do
wink.gif
otherwise, just get a warmish solid state amp xD

+1 for the Grado SR80i. Not overated IMO. I like the detailed, clean, vivid mids, soundstage, bright and warm sound of it. At $100, it's pretty hard to beat! I personally prefer my SR60i over ATH-M50, SRH-840 and a lot more at $200 price bracket. But yeah, they are closed headphone while SR60i is a open headphone

The SR80i's are great fro the price. They are also a DIYers or not dream . Plenty of documentation on how to do existing mods and such.  The ATH-M50's are pretty overrated IMO. there are just better headphones you can get in the price bracket, like DT770's or LP2's.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #66 of 589
  The SR80i's are great fro the price. They are also a DIYers or not dream . Plenty of documentation on how to do existing mods and such.  The ATH-M50's are pretty overrated IMO. there are just better headphones you can get in the price bracket, like DT770's or LP2's.

Indeed but isn't the DT770 discontinued? Not sure about the LP2 thought. I personally prefer the SRH-840 over the ATH-M50 for the smoother and less recessed mids. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #67 of 589
  Indeed but isn't the DT770 discontinued? Not sure about the LP2 thought. I personally prefer the SRH-840 over the ATH-M50 for the smoother and less recessed mids. 

sorry I meant the DT770 Pro
smily_headphones1.gif
, and I've never tried the SRH-840's. I know of Shure and used their IEM's before in my brief stunt of audio production and was nothing but impressed. So at least some of the has to translate to the SRH-840. Another one that came to mind was the k240's. i don't thing they get the credit they deserve. they are pretty well balanced and have a great sound for the price tag....

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #68 of 589
The srh 940 is closed and barely has any bass (or so I've heard). The srh1840 is $700 and barely has bass (or so I've heard).

It's not so much that either the 940 or the 1840 has no bass. I have both and they are really reference headphones. The bass is really dependent on the source track. 

I think what really undercut the credibility of both headphones is that some folks were making wild assertions that they were "poor man's Sennheiser HD-800's or Audeze LCD-2's". When either headphone didn't live up to that comparison, I think a lot of folks dismissed the Shure's as over-hyped.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #69 of 589

To me, most AKG headphones benefits with a warmer source
smily_headphones1.gif
something tube will do
wink.gif
otherwise, just get a warmish solid state amp xD

...And just to prove that point, I found the Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo sporting a pair of gold-pin Tesla tubes to be a very satisfactory grin-inducer with my 701s.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #70 of 589

...And just to prove that point, I found the Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo sporting a pair of gold-pin Tesla tubes to be a very satisfactory grin-inducer with my 701s.

Yeah I haven't heard the Lyr but I can imagine that it works a treat with them. They are as power hungry as planars ime. The 701's are such a great hp for the price at the mo but they're a very honest (warts n'all). Feed them a great recording and they can still compete with the big boys :)  

I need to hear the K712 soon to see what they've done to them.... For better or worse! 

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #73 of 589
Underrated:

Sennheiser HD558 and HD598, especially when the 598s could be had new for $170. (558s are still $130 though)
  1. Comfortable, great soundstage, nice mids and bass but also airy, especially the 598. I eventually went for the HD600s, but I was seriously considering the 598s.

AKG K601
  1. they used to be under $200 new. Like a more likeable K701. Thought of getting them to complement my HD600s, but way too power hungry, and I wanted iems.

Overrated....
  1. Bunch of the Grados...sr125i, sr225i sounded so much like the sr80i and sr60i, used the exact same vinyl and plastic construction, and the bowl pads were not much better than the flat ones--not very comfortable and zero soundstage. Then again, it might just be my preference in sound signature, and my aversion to treble.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #75 of 589
  Well you have a opinion and I respect that but 6XX are overrated ? WOW 
I agree with the k240s but 650/600 ......... :O

I think they're overrated given the decade we're on - $400 should buy you much more than an HD 600. I also think a lot of people haven't heard anything better (because they're an easy choice for a first good can), so they get hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back