Most under-rated headphones...
Aug 24, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #346 of 362
I wonder what hidden treasures Philips has more... for cheap. I know the Fidelio, and some others, although I dont own them. My expectations for other Philips cheapies are high !

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #350 of 362
  Sony MDR-1R closed backs.  Slightly warmish, very comfy, easily fed from an iPod Classic. Really a super travel HP.

I don't know how that would fall into the underrated group considering they were 300 dollar headphones with at best 150 dollar sound. :p
And I'm talking about the new and improved MDR-1A.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #351 of 362
As far as I can tell, the 1R gets not as much raves as other HPs like SR60.

Price doesn't correlate with performance/popularity. This is "most under-rated", not "under-priced", right?

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #352 of 362
In addition to my previous post awhile back, I have to also say K240 Studio. I absolutely adore these headphones. They sing with any music type, never let me down. Clearly I love their signature, so it's probably a personal preference, but I still think they might be a bit underrated. I bought my first pair a few years ago, and every time I listen to them I get a smile on my face when I hear how they sing. The midrange is like honey, as I like to call it. And they do improve with an amp. One day I'd love to try them with many more amps and sources.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #353 of 362
  In addition to my previous post awhile back, I have to also say K240 Studio. I absolutely adore these headphones. They sing with any music type, never let me down. Clearly I love their signature, so it's probably a personal preference, but I still think they might be a bit underrated. I bought my first pair a few years ago, and every time I listen to them I get a smile on my face when I hear how they sing. The midrange is like honey, as I like to call it. And they do improve with an amp. One day I'd love to try them with many more amps and sources.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

57bucks ...!!

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #356 of 362
Akg K340 modded rivals even my Mission cyrus speakers because they had almost the same imaging but with a little more details, they are better than my 2 stax and my he 400 and the beyer dt 150...I listen now ONLY with them or with the speakers...

I does not doubt that there is not anything except perhaps some TOTL headphones that beats them and this for this 3 main reasons: natural sound, imaging power equal to speakers, rendering of voices without comparison, they are so good MODDED, that upgrading is like foolishness to me... My audio quest ended with them...

By the way some famous reviewer does not like them, but listening to them unmodded in a non cleaned and not damped system will give you an headphone with some defects that are easily cured with some mods...Some talks of the desiquilibrium that this first hibryd headphone supposedly had between bass and highs, in my ears there is NONE of the negative criticism that I had read about them...Remember that my AKG are modded , damped and treated like all my system...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #357 of 362
German Maestro GMP400 are highly underrated, most people go for the DT880 or HD600 and forget about these incredibly neutral headphones.

I have recabled mine with SMC sockets and run them balanced off my Keces S3 and single ended off my Feliks Audio Espressivo MKII and they really scale up with quality amplification.

They need a good amp to sound their best, otherwise they can come off a little bright.

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #358 of 362
Maybe a lot of people would kill me.
BUT I really think airPods is under-rated.
I think that is the best gear I bought in 2017.
easy use, lightweight, ergonomic design, two microphones are very good also.
Surprisingly the sound is very decent..
They are praised by lots of mainstream, but in hifi world, people just show no love to these gems.

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #359 of 362
I still really think the k701s by AKG are underrated. Of course when they came out they created a fuss, but then new models came out. They seem to be looked over and rarely talked about anymore.

Many, many people sold theirs off, then there are the few who have become accustomed to the mid-spike and character. The Austrian ones made before the production moved to China are fairly silent when being adjusted, as well as old models have less spring action which can be a plus. They are actually made really well and can be found for as little as $99 used on line.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #360 of 362
Sony MDR-7520

clarity, neutral, great separation, strong imaging and versatile. Also very durable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back