1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Most "Tubey sounding HP amp under 500$

1. cardeli22
    I will be using the tube amp mostly with my Beyers 1990pro. I have looked at the Schiit Lyr 3, Project Ember, and Massdrop CTH. If there are others that might fit the textbook sound of tubeyness please let me know. I realize different tubes have different sonic properties. I guess my question is two-fold: What Tube amp sounds the most "tubey" with the stock tubes and which sounds the most tubey with the right tube. Thanks in advance.

2. buke9
    A OTL tube amp would be a better choice for more tube sound than those hybrid tube amps .

cardeli22 likes this.
  3. cardeli22
    Thanks for commenting. Anyone in particular you recommend?

4. chimney189
    Bottlehead Crack

Tom-s and cardeli22 like this.
  5. cardeli22
    Thanks for the recommendation.

6. buke9
    That is also what I would recommend but can get a bit pricey with good tubes just so you know. Though I would not call it tubey the CTH is a very good amp for the money and one of the few I like the HD-650’s from other than a Crack and a O2 is also good for me. Haven’t heard the 1990’s but if they are like most Beyers I’ve heard maybe not a CTH but a Project Ember is a bit more warm and can do justice to planars as well. Haven’t heard the new Lyr so don’t know for sure .

cardeli22 likes this.
  7. cardeli22
    Speaking of Alex Cavalli products, I was looking at The Monoprice Liquid Platinum (built with Alex Cavalli's input and guidance). But that one has had its release pushed back till October I believe.

8. buke9
    I heard the prototype it is balanced if I remember correctly .

cardeli22 likes this.
  9. cardeli22
    Balanced and SE judging by the pictures on the Monoprice website. Did you enjoy it's sound?

10. buke9
    Yes I did. But I was hoping for the Liquid Ambience. The Little Tungsten.

11. buke9
    D62502F8-1FDF-4D3C-A443-3039EA6215F6.jpeg
    This is definitely one of my favorite amps. Cavalli Liquid Tungsten Prototype got a chance to hook it up to my Yggdrasil and Ether-C’s and don’t think they will sound better.

cardeli22 likes this.
  12. cardeli22
    Wow! Very nice.