Most Transparent SS <$1000
Apr 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #16 of 60

Quote:
Quote:
No mention of the venerable Dynalo yet? It's completely transparent and has loads of power.

The M^3 and Beta22 are excellent options, too.

They Dynalo should just be the same as the GS-1 / Gilmore Lite, right? Or maybe I'm missing something.

In the very least quite similar, as I believe Justin has made some tweaks to the GS-1/Gilmore Lite.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 60
If you want to build the M^3 or B22 reading through the AMB site is a must. www.amb.org. The M^3 come up often on the Head-Fi Sales Forum well under your budget too if building one isn't in the plans. Both amps are pretty amazing.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 60
If you want to build the M^3 or B22 reading through the AMB site is a must. www.amb.org. The M^3 come up often on the Head-Fi Sales Forum well under your budget too if building one isn't in the plans. Both amps are pretty amazing.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions of say the M^3 vs any of the dynalo amps.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #19 of 60
Quote:Originally Posted by thegr8brian 

"I'd be interested to hear your opinions of say the M^3 vs any of the dynalo amps."

The only dynalo I have experience with is the GLite we were discussing in the other thread. The M^3 I have experience with is the two chassis version with the seperate power supply. Between the two I'd say the M^3 is my preference. The M^3, while being neutral, has more warmth than the GLite which can sound slightly thin in comparison. Both are excellent and there would be some subjectivity between the two but I think the M^3 is a step above the GLite. Comparing the Concerto and the M^3 is another story. I'd be guessing. The M^3 is close enough in sound quality to the B22 that I would speculate the m^3 might have the slight advantage. Again, that's just a guess.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 60
I have both the M^3/S11(with OPA627s) and GS1 and to me, the GS1 sounds much cleaner, faster, more detailed, has a bigger soundstage, blacker background, and heck of a lot more transparent as the M^3 always has a veil over the music (others it warmth). The M^3 has more bass quantity but is sloppier.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #21 of 60
I have both the M^3/S11(with OPA627s) and GS1 and to me, the GS1 sounds much cleaner, faster, more detailed, has a bigger soundstage, blacker background, and heck of a lot more transparent as the M^3 always has a veil over the music (others it warmth). The M^3 has more bass quantity but is sloppier.

Interesting to hear this from another person. I've already heard a similar opinion from Shahrose. Does your GS-1 have the pot or stepped attenuator?

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #24 of 60

Quote:
That's an interesting comparison moonboy. From your analysis it looks like the GS-1 curbstomped the M^3. I've never heard the M^3 but I've always read raving reviews about it.

It could be that M^3 and my JH13 don't play well together but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The DAC I used is Assemblage DAC3.1 Platinum Edition.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #25 of 60
The two amps (the M3 and Dynalo) are VERY similar in sound - I wouldn't go in worrying that either will sound too thin, too bloated, or any other such negative.  Both are extremely transparent and fast, and either will do justice to whatever you throw at them.  Yes, they are different, and my preference goes to the Dynalo, but this is so slight that unless you are side-by-side comparing with the same source and headphones, you will never notice the difference.  Did i mention the difference is subtle and slight? 

Personally, I'd go for whichever you can get cheaper and sooner :D 

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #26 of 60
Remember that the GS1 is slightly better (and more expensive) than the GLite and that will effect how it compares to the M^3. That said, I never thought the M^3 was ever sloppy. A bit warmer compared to the GLite but I never felt it was sloppy. Also, I only mentioned the GLite being sounding a tad thinner compared to the M^3. I didn't mean to imply it was a thin sounding amp. Both the M^3 and GLite are stellar. I just happen to prefer the M^3 slightly over the GLite.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #27 of 60
the difference between a glite+dps and a gs1 is ridiculously miniscule, as the only difference between them is the power supply - that is to say, the amp potions are identical.  this difference is tiny, given both psu's (iirc) are based on the same circuit, and the GS1 only has 1 extra regulating transistor.  considering the dynalo's spectacular psrr, i'd bet only those with +/- 20 volts of ripple would hear a difference... and their microwave would probably catch fire, limiting their listening potential :D 

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 60

Quote:

Curious, have you tried other opamp combos with the M^3? If so, how did those fare against the GS1? I remember the OPA627/637 are suppose to be warmer and mellower sounding than the AD8610 or some other choices.
Thanks.

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #29 of 60

Quote:
Curious, have you tried other opamp combos with the M^3? If so, how did those fare against the GS1? I remember the OPA627/637 are suppose to be warmer and mellower sounding than the AD8610 or some other choices.
Thanks.

Nope. The only opamp I've tried with the M^3/S11 is with the OPA627.

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #30 of 60
I knew you were going to ask that eventually 
biggrin.gif
. I'l review each one individually and you be the judge. Mind you, I haven't owned the GS-1 so take my words with a grain of salt on it.

I thought the concerto had a very clean, highly transparent sound. The mids were cleanly rendered and had good body while being very transparent and open. Detail retrieval was excellent with a wide soundstage. Listening to the guitar in Eric Clapton's Tears In Heaven brought me to my knees when I first heard it through this amp. Bass was equally impressive with good weight, control and extension. The crossfeed is a nice feature to have which gives you an "out-of-head" experience.

Coming over to the GS-1, the bass is big, fast, linear and well controlled. There is no smear or overhang but no leaness either. The midrange is definitely one of the amps highlights. They were clean and clear with a sense of body and richness similar to a tube amp. The mids seemed to have presence but not "in your face" sound. The sound was nicely detailed but not hyper detailed. Soundstage was big and open but not as big as the concerto. 

I don't think you would go wrong with either amp. 

I got to hear someone's Gilmore Lite with the powersupply at a recent meet and it sounded identical to the GS-1. You may want to look into that as well, would save you some money.

Agreed...and BTW, there is a GLite + DPS on sale right now in the F/S forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back