Most publicly wearable?
Jul 5, 2005 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
For around 60$
orphsmile.gif

What im looking for is a pair of closed, or semi closed cans. I dont want clip ons or behind the head, and i already have a fine pair of canal phones. What is a good looking pair, that is fairly small? Right now i have the XD300's and they are HUGANTIC. But damn they are comfy and sound good to me. Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah one preferance is that i like a shorter cord, and the single side instead of Y cord.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 27
Beyerdynamic DT231? They're pretty small, and they sound good. They're closed but leak a bit (semi-closed character maybe?). The cord is a bit long, but it's single-side.
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by arspy87
Beyerdynamic DT231? They're pretty small, and they sound good. They're closed but leak a bit (semi-closed character maybe?). The cord is a bit long, but it's single-side.
biggrin.gif

Hmm, they just dont look very stylish to me, other than that they seem to be fine. I will see if i cant try them out somewhere.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 27
If you5re priority is sound quality, KSC75... and grow your hair long enough to cover them
biggrin.gif

although it has a Y cord.

**edit**oops didnt notice you wanted closed... ,forget the Koss, and go for an MDRV6. You can find them right under $60 on ebay. Dont get the 7506, theyre the same thing but re-badged under a different product name and ~$20 more.

If sound quality is second to cosmetics, just go to Frys and buy any junk earbud for $10.

Garrett

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 27
I don't even own them, but my vote goes for the Sony MDR-V6/7506. I've seen them in public many times and they're very low profile, inconspicuous in color, and pretty professional in design. Singled-sided, and with a coiled cord - but it they are like the DT250s the first few feet of cord between the coil and the headphone is straight.

The MDR-D66SL will get you the SL that you want, but they stick out more and look flashier with the shiny discs over the drivers. You could probably sharpie them or something. I used to use them everyday on the bus to work, but still got a few stares
eggosmile.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
If you5re priority is sound quality, KSC75... and grow your hair long enough to cover them
biggrin.gif

although it has a Y cord.

If sound quality is second to cosmetics, just go to Frys and buy any junk earbud for $10.

Garrett

lol, sound quality is on par, i dont think its too much to ask for a good looking as well as sounding pair of cans. I like my XD300's just wish they were a lil smaller so i dont look like a freak if i wanted to go for a bike ride with them. Im not an audiophile, most any cans will work for me, i just prefer a nice pair in case i decide to upgrade my tastes in the future.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I don't even own them, but my vote goes for the Sony MDR-V6/7506. I've seen them in public many times and they're very low profile, inconspicuous in color, and pretty professional in design. Singled-sided, and with a coiled cord - but it they are like the DT250s the first few feet of cord between the coil and the headphone is straight.

The MDR-D66SL will get you the SL that you want, but they stick out more and look flashier with the shiny discs over the drivers. You could probably sharpie them or something. I used to use them everyday on the bus to work, but still got a few stares
eggosmile.gif

ooh, i really like the eggo's, any pictures of them on someones head? And another hard part is finding a pair for around the 60$ mark.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 27
A few more possibilities:

HD201 is fairly low-profile. It's not actually as small as the DT231, but the cups are shallow and are sculpted to flow together with the headband in a way that minimizes the impression of size (it doesn't look bumpy or bulge-y). Dual-sided cord, though.

The HD25-SP is also visually rather small, and it might be available used for somewhere near your price point. Dual-sided cord.

Here's a post with a photo of these alongside the DT231.

If you want to get even smaller, then you're in PX200/PXC250 territory. Definitely publicly wearable, but again, with dual-sided cord. Sonically, of the two, I like the PXC250 more. The PXC300 is supposed to be even better, but I haven't heard it. Isolation depends on your individual fit; others report good isolation but on me there's virtually none.

AKG K 26 P is another possibility. Mine's on order, should arrive this week. I'll post here when it comes.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakets
pick 2? what do you mean..

You can get cheap and stylish, cheap and sound good, or stylish and sound good. You can't get all 3.

Jul 6, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
You can get cheap and stylish, cheap and sound good, or stylish and sound good. You can't get all 3.

Luckily, however, all three of those things are totally subjective.

I think for that price, the only full sized closed headphone that still sounds decent and is built nicely is the V6. Moving out of closed will give you more options, or moving out of full sized, or good sound/build, but with those features, I don't think another choice exists. That's the V6's unique niche.

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 27
Like Rodney Dangerfield, the Sony V6s "get no respect" here, by and large. You'd be hard pressed to find a phone that's built like a tank like the V6 is, and sounds pretty darn good to boot, at such a low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back