Most Powerfull Portable Amp
May 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dodgercat

New Head-Fier
My first hobby in life was shooting, I didn't wear ear protection in the begining, now my hearing is affected, not to the point where I need to wear a hearing aid, but I still have a hard time hearing at what others consider normal volume levels, so I need a POWERFULL portablwe amp...To give you an idea, for a desktop unit, I tried many that just didn't have the juice, until I tried the Village People VA200....problem solved, that thing cranks !!! So in a nutshell, I'm looking for a " portable VA200 " if there is such a thing. Budget $ 150 - 250...I know there are the Ray Samuals models and some other more exotic offerings, but I'd rather cap the price at $ 250. USB DAC/Amp would be nice too, but not entirely required. Please don't reccomend FIIO product, tried them, just not enough juice. Remember - Portable VA200 :) Thanks Guys !!!

May 27, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 20
It's just outside of your budget at $299, but the iFi Micro iCAN SE is the most powerful portable amp I know of at 4000mW. The iFI Micro iDSD is the same mW but it is a DAC/Amp and costs $399.

May 27, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 20
It's just outside of your budget at $299, but the iFi Micro iCAN SE is the most powerful portable amp I know of at 4000mW. The iFI Micro iDSD is the same mW but it is a DAC/Amp and costs $399.
I just looked at the website and it says 400mw not 4000 into 32 ohms. A Fiio A5 does 800mw into 32 ohms.

May 27, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 20
My first hobby in life was shooting, I didn't wear ear protection in the begining, now my hearing is affected, not to the point where I need to wear a hearing aid, but I still have a hard time hearing at what others consider normal volume levels, so I need a POWERFULL portablwe amp...To give you an idea, for a desktop unit, I tried many that just didn't have the juice, until I tried the Village People VA200....problem solved, that thing cranks !!! So in a nutshell, I'm looking for a " portable VA200 " if there is such a thing. Budget $ 150 - 250...I know there are the Ray Samuals models and some other more exotic offerings, but I'd rather cap the price at $ 250. USB DAC/Amp would be nice too, but not entirely required. Please don't reccomend FIIO product, tried them, just not enough juice. Remember - Portable VA200 :) Thanks Guys !!!
Did you try the Fiio A5? I had a E12 which is pretty much the same thing and it would run my Alpha Dogs to ear bleed levels.

May 27, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 20

I just looked at the website and it says 400mw not 4000 into 32 ohms. A Fiio A5 does 800mw into 32 ohms.

You looked at the iFi Micro iCAN, not the iCAN SE. See image below. 4000mW into 16 ohms, far more than the A5.

1.png

May 27, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 20
You looked at the iFi Micro iCAN, not the iCAN SE. See image below. 4000mW into 16 ohms, far more than the A5.

That is true. But does it have a battery?

May 27, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 20
That is true. But does it have a battery?

Lol, touche. I own the iFi Micro iDSD which does indeed have a battery and is capable of 4000mW, and I thought the Micro iCAN SE was the same just without the DAC. It is the same amp, but there is no battery, making it not an option for the OP.

May 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 20
Lol, touche. I own the iFi Micro iDSD which does indeed have a battery and is capable of 4000mW, and I thought the Micro iCAN SE was the same just without the DAC. It is the same amp, but there is no battery, making it not an option for the OP.
Plus they are kinda big. Did not know the power output on the SE or iDSD that is crazy.

May 29, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 20
The OP might want to check into using more sensitive headphones as well. Any headphones down in the 32 Ohm range with a sensitivity of >100dB would get to ear bleeding levels with either the Fiio A5 or Cayin C5.

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks SO Much for all of the wonderful comments and reccomendations. Again, my first impedance, is my diminished hearing from firing too many 12 ga. shotguns, with no hearing protection...stupid - but by the time you notice that maybe you should have listened to others, and something is wrong with your hearing, it's too late, your hearing doesnt' come back, and the ringing in your ears only varies in intensity...luckily I started wearing hearing protection before it got too bad...I have a variety of headphones, Grados Hi-FiMan 400 M50's the list is like a dozen or so. I listen to a variety of music styles and am not particularly sensitive to sound stage, warmth, sibliance and all of the other minute intricacies...I just know good headphones when I hear them. I feel I shouldn't have to turn up the output of the sound source volume past 4 or 5, and same with the amp...to receive more than satisfactory listening satisfaction. Like I just said, I listen to a variety of music genres from clasical to jaz, to classic rock, to heavi-metal....but my measuring stick of performance, is by how the headphone + amp/dac performs with the most demanding of any genre I listen to....the one that brings out the greatest levels of bass trebble and NEED for PUNCHING POWER....Many headphones / amps can hit deep bass lows, or the highest notes of any violin....but can't do it with PUNCHING POWER of my " BAR " wich is the music style know as Epic Trance....Go to DI.FM, type in style Epic Trance and listen to the streaming content....Manny / Most headphones just can't keep up with the PUNCH required to keep up....I've compared doezens of different headphones, costing upwards of $1K, and the one that pairs best with this style of music, is a low price pedestrian brand SOL Republic...varying models....but nothing puches with the power of their headphones with this style of music.....I wanted to like a more expensive brand/model....but I think to bring up the punch of " higher end headphones "....you would really need a good amp....Like my Lake People VA200 - but thats a beast of a desktop model, that costs a fortune, and I simply can't spend that much money on something portable that can fall out of your pocket, get crushed, something spilled on, or a million other hazards I don't want to run the risk of loosing out on my ultra high end investment in the highest reaches of portable amps...that's why I'd like to keep the cost of the amp under $ 250....If I crushed/lost/drenched it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Great reccomendations like the iFi Micro iCAN SE at $ 299 are tempting...what the hell - it's only $ 49 more - right, but then why not the iFI Micro iDSD for another $ 100, your already investing $ 300, so why not the extra $ 100.....but it all becomes a matter of more wants more, and before you know it the term " keeping it within a certain budget " is totally blown....I spend some huge chunk of cash, then the third day I have it out on the streets, a freak rain storm comes along, it gets wet in my pockes, and fries, and I'm kicking myself for spending so much on something that has such potential exposure to dammage or loss....So as tempting as it may seem, I have to keep some kind of fiscal responsibility.

Thanks for all of the great reccomendations and comments, and I'd like to pull the trigger on an amp by the end of the week.....Love Ya All Lotts, Grazzi :) Dodgercat

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 20
Oh, and as far as FIIO products, I've tried just too many of them that are complete garbage, and just wouldn't trust their garbage brand again, don't care who says what....My father always said " It's far better to buy the bottom of the line, from a top of the line manufacturer, than the top of the line, from a botton of the line manufacturer.....A philosophy that has stood me well through the years....No offence to you FIIO fanboys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back