Most popular IEM?
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Quantom88

New Head-Fier
I hope I don't get killed for this, but I'm really curious as to which of the below IEMs appeal the most to the headfi crowd. I know that this isn't a very exhaustive list, but these do seem like the more popular models out there, don't they?

1. Shure SE530
2. Shure SE420
3. UE Triple.fi 10pro
4. Etymotic Research ER4P/S/B
5. Westone 3
6. Westone UM2

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 29
ugh, not another one.

if you plan to buy one of those in the list just tell us what sound you prefer and what music you like, along with what source your using and what bit rates and we will advise you on whats for you.

there is no ''best'' earphones in this class of audio equipment and its pointless asking really. however there is a case of what is more popular.

if people vote on this poll then it will be a popularity vote, not whats best.

oh and wheres the poll.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ugh, not another one.

if you plan to buy one of those in the list just tell us what sound you prefer and what music you like, along with what source your using and what bit rates and we will advise you on whats for you.

there is no ''best'' earphones in this class of audio equipment and its pointless asking really. however there is a case of what is more popular.

if people vote on this poll then it will be a popularity vote, not whats best.

oh and wheres the poll.

Yeah, I realised I made a wrong thread title at first. However, all I'm interested in is each IEM's popularity, and I'm certainly not planning to buy another one. And as I said, this list isn't exhaustive, and is just coming from the top of my head. Pardon me if I do miss out some of the more popular ones out there, as I don't think it's possible to edit a poll now.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 29
well i voted shure se530 because i own them and favour them. the se530, etymotics and triple fi should walk this thread if voters simply vote for what they own, i mean they have had much longer on the market than the others and in theory should be much more popular.

this is the problem with the thread really, its simply a what do you own thread now that its based on popularity lol

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 29
IE8, W3 and Phonak are still FOTM headphones. The praise that W3 innitialy got has already cooled down a little bit.

ER4 is a prehistoric IEM. It is only popular because of the positive reviews it got from pros 10 years ago due to a lack of better options at that time. It has a large cult following ever since.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 29
FOTM? What does that term mean?

However, adding on to your point regarding the ER4, I find it thoroughly amazing how a company can design a single balanced armature driver that has such a capabiilty of rendering such a wide frequency spectrum, as compared to it's "bigger" brothers like the triple driver TF10 or SE530.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8, W3 and Phonak are still FOTM headphones. The praise that W3 innitialy got has already cooled down a little bit.

ER4 is a prehistoric IEM. It is only popular because of the positive reviews it got from pros 10 years ago due to a lack of better options at that time. It has a large cult following ever since.

One big difference among the three you mentioned...price. Investing $125 in a FoTM phone hurts the wallet a lot less than $300+ if the phone turns out to be less than what it is advertised to be, whether by the maker or via Head-Fi feedback.

Agree on the W3, cooled off considerably. I think I understand why, but am keeping my pair for now.

IE8, likely to endure beyond FoTM status, as fit problems seem to be the #1 issue, not SQ (after the required 150-hour burn-in period).

PFEs? Relatively cheap, as mentioned, and so far, I think only one Head-Fi buyer sent them back, and that was because they preferred their ER4P, I believe. To me, unless they start falling apart en masse or their SQ changes for some weird reason, I would take any wager they will pass the FoTM tag. Could be wrong, but I doubt it (he says as he listens to his PFEs). The price is so right for what you get.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 29
^ popular in the world..not on headfi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back