Most overrated headphones?
Sep 4, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #123 of 1,490

Quote:
Shure 840s. I feel too many people are recommended this headphone with little thought put into associated components. The 440 is hard enough to sound well without some halfway decent source and amp, plus possibly a small mixer in between in it all to offer some control over it. The 840 is made for a studio, more than most, Few cans in it's price bracket work as well as the 840 on a console,but I would not want to tell someone it is musical. My 440s sound fairly good with the right tubes, EQing, and out to a decent amp, but shred my ears out of a DAP, and most digital EQ on portables is  audio-mangling.

I feel the m50s earned their place. The are truly versitile, and tonally accurate when they need to be, Often I find they will reduce soundstaging to preserve tonal accuracy, which is something I quite like about them, as I can use them as a reference, not because they cost me 1000 dollars like some other reference phones, but because I know exactly what to expect, and since they can be driven straight from a DAP. it makes this even more important for me to have such a reference when I am considering a new set of headphones, or component.

AKG K271 MKIIs. These are not little kittens. The originals made in Austria were hard to listen to musically without the right setup, and if the MKIIs are the same phones, just assempled in China, then expect similar results. These should not be beginner headphones/first respectible headphones. Many half the price will smoke them and especially the poor modern k240. I am not sure if I have been able to get my k240S *(mine made in austria still, but suppost to be the same), to sound "good". IT is always a tradeoff... good mids and HF with crappy bass, or tighten up the bass and lose the HF to the 5th dimension or something.

Certain Vintage cans that are always looked back with a rose colored nostalgia, being still in production, perhaps, but there is finally now better in that low price point that do not lose so much detail, although they do have a suprisingly open warm sound, instru ments get lost and the lines blur far too soon, 1000X better than ipod buds, but then again, what aftermerket phones aren't?

Just my inflation-adjusted few cents. (and to be on record: the beats are horribly over-rated, and landis, I too bought a pair of DT770s on somewhat impulse, but with 880/990 pads on them, they get quite a lot of use on my systems... like the m50s, I know what I am going to get, and often when they sound *good* on a setup, I know that stup is tuned well, if they are boom tizzy, it is not the phones' fault after having them for this long, they have a great sound for the dollar, and reveal things other phones just don't quite as well for near their price. They are worth owning.)

I'll have to disagree by opinion on your Shure and vintage opinions.

With the Shures, I'll agree that they are definitely studio oriented headphones-- personally, I don't use my 840s unless I'm watching a movie and want that somewhat FR leveled out sound, or it's a hot day and my 840s are the most isolating headphone I own. Now what I object about is that if you have to play with the EQ and tube-roll to get the 440s sounding right, I think you found yourself the wrong headphones. BUT, I respect that you've tuned them to your apparent liking.

As for the vintages... It's really impossible to them into one category. They mirror modern day headphones in the sense that they all have varying sound signatures. Hearing the right headphone that is up your alley, being it from 1970 or 2009, will have the same effect on you. All the major players in modern headphone design date back to the 70s and 80s, and just like these days when you see great headphones that go out of production, you can't help but think "why the balls would they do that?" K1000, K501, K601, R10, SR-Omega, Qualia 010, etc. There are headphones out there that got things right and ones that got things wrong, but that's really up to personal opinion and definitely something you'd have to hear and form an opinion about. I'd recommend being more specific about the headphone you're talking about!

I will note that I didn't dislike my DT770s, especially after the Jmoney pads (which I felt were a great improvement), but I definitely started on the track of finding the right kind of headphone for me and soon realized the DT770s were not.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #125 of 1,490
Quote:
The HD800s didn't do anything for me (granted, I listened to them very briefly).

The HD-800 doesn't sound remarkable right away.  It's not immediately exciting the way the RS-1 is.  But the more you listen, the more you realize how little the HD-800 does wrong.  It takes awhile for that to sink in, but I've found that quality in the best gear I've owned.  A lot of it failed to impress at first listen, but then there aren't any glaring colorations or mistakes, and you begin to forget about the piece of gear and just get into the music.

If you get a chance to borrow a HD-800 for an extended listen away from a meet, give them a try.  You might find them a lot better than you think.

Sep 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #126 of 1,490
I found Sextetts to be overrated, but I guess I was too excited and was expecting too much - I prefer Monitors and even K141 over them.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #127 of 1,490
Landis,

vintage owns. Besides the build quality of old headphones versus headphones nowadays is much better. If any headphone is overrated it is usually the newest headphone that gets the most coverage by the media.

I have five oldies now. Some old headphones need a recable but that is all for now.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #128 of 1,490
i dont consider myself an audiophile just a n00b when it comes to audiophiles.  anyways, i have a pair of skull candy ear buds for my personal mp3 player and i think they are the best earbuds ever.  very comfortable with different ear pieces, etc.  the only thing is i lose them all the time so at a price tag of only like 10 dollars, they are fantastic for that.  i also own a pair of sennheiser hd-555 with the soundstage mod and i think they sound phenominal.  they were my first audiophile headphones and i loved them.  so much clarity and boom for the price i paid.  but that's just me.  i don't think either one was a rip-off, i felt i was ripping off the company for getting them so cheap.  the headphones should be near 200 dollars and the earbuds at least 34.99.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #129 of 1,490
Quote:
i dont consider myself an audiophile just a n00b when it comes to audiophiles.  anyways, i have a pair of skull candy ear buds for my personal mp3 player and i think they are the best earbuds ever.  very comfortable with different ear pieces, etc.  the only thing is i lose them all the time so at a price tag of only like 10 dollars, they are fantastic for that.  i also own a pair of sennheiser hd-555 with the soundstage mod and i think they sound phenominal.  they were my first audiophile headphones and i loved them.  so much clarity and boom for the price i paid.  but that's just me.  i don't think either one was a rip-off, i felt i was ripping off the company for getting them so cheap.  the headphones should be near 200 dollars and the earbuds at least 34.99.

Yes, I too believe that multi-million dollar companies who already practice significant markups on their products are being too generous to the common population and should rise their prices at once to correct this grave injustice.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #130 of 1,490
Humanity has been damaged by lead and mercury...that is why we have so much discord...It depends on your material and amp..If you make an amp of your own design,I guess the denon7000 bass could sound like a cheap floor speaker...The 701 I got for $279 ,fed through a headroom micro amp,is excellent for watching 10 hours of TV..The only time they misbehaved was when I played Pentangle.They clearly have a treble peak and switching to the HD650 done the trick,and Pentangle sounded fine..There are many headphones that were made by the insane,these mentioned here are not among them..

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #131 of 1,490

Quote:
It just so happens that I own both M50 and SRH-840 and while I agree that the 840 are better overall than the M50, saying "several times better" though I feel is a huge exaggeration.

I agree, I have owned the SRH 840s and gave them to my son, so I can still listen to them by just going to his room. I now own M50, SRH750DJ, and Sr80i.
My favorite is the 750, the m50s get very little use nowadays. I use the grados while on my laptop, so that I can hear my wife yell at me.
SRH750dj>M50>>SR80i (JMO)

P.S. this opinion is based on using the shures and the m50 amped with an  Ibasso D10, and the grados unamped.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #132 of 1,490
For me:

First – Grado GS 1000(i) and PS 1000. Hardly overpriced and they has no sound quality as you expect from the pricetag. Colored headphones which costs more then 1000 dollars are overrated. The highs are there miserable in compare with other super high ends.

Second – Ultrasone Ed 8,9,10. This sound is NOT for me and several aspects are less quality as people often say.

Third – AKG K 701(2) in aspect of customers support. When you recable K 701 with other then stock cable people in AKG (Harman) are not more interested on communication with you. Simply they say you that you crossed warranty and they never repair them. They do not want to see your headphones, simply said. Beyer has no problem with it but AKG strictly defines that stock cable is regular one and “decomposition” of headphones outside certified service is not acceptable.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #133 of 1,490
ill never think that ultrasone are overrated,,overprice maybe for the edition,, instead i found that they are underrated

and i wonder how you can hate the edition 10 while it havent released yet,, or maybe youre someones lucky to able to hear the demo,, im kind of jealous :p

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #135 of 1,490

Quote:

Second – Ultrasone Ed 8,9,10. This sound is NOT for me and several aspects are less quality as people often say.

Edition 10?
Can you tell me from your listening experience why the sound is NOT for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back