Most overrated headphones?
May 14, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,171 of 1,490
Guys, I love my HD650 to bits, am sad I only discovered it late and before I spend tons of money on many amps and planars etc. I was afraid of the veil. Only to discover it's a myth (with the newer versions of the HD650) - on the last meetup we tried a > 10 years old HD650 against my 2014 version and boy - what a difference. Like two different headphones. That's where I think the whole veil story etc comes from.

I also don't agree that all headphones have to sound great from a phone, otherwise they are flawed. Needing proper amplification is not a flaw, it's a choice the designers made deliberately.

However, while its hard to believe FOR ME that someone could listen to the HD650 on my BH Crack and not like it, it's entirely possible. Different strokes for different people.

Cheers and peace!!

May 14, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #1,172 of 1,490
Even more money can be saved by replacing HD650 (or presumably any other quality headphone) with a pair of $5 VE Monk earbuds. There are people who say they sound as good or prefer them believe it or not!

So any headphone costing more than a fiver might be classed as over priced and overrated :-D

May 14, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #1,173 of 1,490
Even more money can be saved by replacing HD650 (or presumably any other quality headphone) with a pair of $5 VE Monk earbuds. There are people who say they sound as good or prefer them believe it or not!

So any headphone costing more than a fiver might be classed as over priced and overrated :-D

I have the Monk and Monk Plus - they are the most amazing bang for the buck. Really, $5 ear buds that sound like $30 ear buds. They are really really nice. But to be honest, I heard $30 in-ears that sound better. Anyhow - the monks are a nice stocking stuffer and give-away.

Cheers.

May 15, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,174 of 1,490
For me the Senn's HD600 and HD650 were too dark. Sounding a sort of muffled. Didn't like them. Next up tried the HD700, of which I've heard and seen a boat load of complaints, and for me they were absolute heaven. Loved the soundstage and actually feeling the music in my ears.
Still in a debate with myself if I should spent the money and just get the HD700's or wait around for a while and try to get something like the Audeze LCD-2. 

May 17, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,175 of 1,490
Since everyone posted m50 already i think my second most overrated headphones is the fidelio x2. Their build quality, comfort and styling is really good, they have detachable cable and they don't require amping but soundwise i cannot find anything good about it. The bass is too much for my liking, the mids is very recessed, in a few songs i feel like the singer is miles away from me, and the high is peaky.

I bought it used for only $120 and i still don't like it. I think the fidelio x2 is good for people who values convenience more than sound quality

May 17, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,176 of 1,490
I have to agree with you about the X2 but for somewhat different reasons. The design is too clunky, it's heavy and the stock pads are very uncomfortable. The sound quality was okay but not as great as so many on this four were saying. My Sennheiser 598 was just as good if not better.

May 17, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #1,177 of 1,490
Since everyone posted m50 already i think my second most overrated headphones is the fidelio x2. Their build quality, comfort and styling is really good, they have detachable cable and they don't require amping but soundwise i cannot find anything good about it. The bass is too much for my liking, the mids is very recessed, in a few songs i feel like the singer is miles away from me, and the high is peaky.

I bought it used for only $120 and i still don't like it. I think the fidelio x2 is good for people who values convenience more than sound quality

Yeah, they're a grainy sounding headphone with bad bass extension and quality. Exact reason tyll took them off the WoF.

May 17, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,178 of 1,490
For me the Senn's HD600 and HD650 were too dark. Sounding a sort of muffled. Didn't like them. Next up tried the HD700, of which I've heard and seen a boat load of complaints, and for me they were absolute heaven. Loved the soundstage and actually feeling the music in my ears.
Still in a debate with myself if I should spent the money and just get the HD700's or wait around for a while and try to get something like the Audeze LCD-2. 

Sounds like you'd dislike the LCD-2. For me the LCD-2 was simply less resolving with worse tonality vs the HD600, and was even darker. Maybe try an HD800? They're going cheap now. I've seen 700$ used.

May 18, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #1,179 of 1,490
Sounds like you'd dislike the LCD-2. For me the LCD-2 was simply less resolving with worse tonality vs the HD600, and was even darker. Maybe try an HD800? They're going cheap now. I've seen 700$ used.

Haha, yep :wink: Went to the local dealer yesterday, LCD-2 was simply waaaayyyy too dark for me. Ended up with a comparison between the HD800 and HE=560. HE-560 at my home now ^^.

May 19, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #1,180 of 1,490
Wouldn't say they're the most overrated, but I disliked the HE560s big time. Only headphone I've ever owned that I've disliked 
tongue.gif
 The build quality didn't help either 

May 20, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #1,181 of 1,490

Or go straight to HD800 S, these are ridiculously good 
basshead.gif

May 20, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,182 of 1,490
Went headphone shopping today, and I decided to audition the Sennheiser M2 and M2 wireless again to see if my opinion of them has changed. Nope, still underwhelmed. Decided to go with the exciting sound of the AUdio Technica msr7.

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,183 of 1,490
I personally find the HD600 harsh up top after listening Ether C for a month. Also a bit V shaped response boosted mid bass and an annoying unnatural peak in the high frequencies. But even still I think the most overrated headphones are the M50x and LCD2

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,184 of 1,490
Not a headphone, but for me it was the RE0. I felt I had thrown my money away. It took me forever to get them to have any sort of bass. I had to actually switch to a different player temporarily that had a decent equalizer and then I still had to use the bass boost on my E5. If this wasn't enough they felt super cheap and like they'd fall apart if I dropped them. It's one IEM where everyone seems to love them, but my reaction is just like "Huh?! Do I have the same earphone?!". I've seen people compare it to the Triple Fi 10 and I just don't understand this. These things remind me of the Sennheiser HD-280 without the bass or maybe an IEM version of the AD700.

I like the AKG 702 and think it's a good headphone. I don't think I could call it overrated though. I didn't realize it's weaknesses until I compared it sound by side to the HD-600. Acoustic Guitars and pretty much any sort of stringed instruments just sounded a bit "off". It's strange because I used my old AKG 701 for years and thought they were very good.

#2 Grado 325i - Just not my type of sound and don't hate me for saying this, but they caused me physical pain like someone banging metal objects together in my ear non-stop.

#3 would be the Denon D2000. The fit was absolutely perfect, but they were not worth the price I paid and they didn't sound like anything special. The bass was a bit too much for me also.

#4 Skullcandy Snoop Dogg Skullcrushers - Everyone says these are better then the HD-800, but I don't agree. Totally overrated. I tell them they're garbage, but they just tell me I need to buy a better amp.

Please ******* tell me who said that the Skullcandy headphone is better than the HD800!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back