Most overrated headphones?
Feb 6, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,141 of 1,490

-I have never tried the Urbanite XL, but the M50s are just... Right, more or less. If my memory serves me well, they had a slight bass boost (Nowhere near enough for bass-heads to approve - which makes it just right for me!), with mids and highs which were pleasant and didn't really draw attention to themselves in any way - just a great all-round headphone.

Undoubtedly there are lots of others which would fit the bill just as nicely - but I wouldn't know about those, I have only tried a very few sets of headphones for long enough to have an informed opinion of them.

short problems with ath m50. the guitars did sound off, something much too much around 7khz, problems with ear natural resonance.
-bass was off also, something too thick
-the entire sound was veiled, much worse than similar priced headphones
-they are very expensive for the sound, i think that in america they are much cheaper, in romania they go for around 200$ even more... at 200, there are far better options from sennheiser and ultrasone, again i think that it is for my country only.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,142 of 1,490
Stax SR-L700 - typical 'analytical' hi-fi sound, lacking bass presence and annoying over-emphasis of 's' and 'ch' sounds. Apparently I have to wait for a week (while the headphones are settling in, bless them) before undertaking 'critical listening'. Misguidedly I purchased a pair of Stax SR-007A headphones, but having read through the reviews the treble is now 'forward' (hateful) and perhaps a retreat to dynamic land is in order. In the meantime, my trusty HD650 headphones and Chord Mojo are on hand.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,143 of 1,490
  Stax SR-L700 - typical 'analytical' hi-fi sound, lacking bass presence and annoying over-emphasis of 's' and 'ch' sounds. Apparently I have to wait for a week (while the headphones are settling in, bless them) before undertaking 'critical listening'. Misguidedly I purchased a pair of Stax SR-007A headphones, but having read through the reviews the treble is now 'forward' (hateful) and perhaps a retreat to dynamic land is in order. In the meantime, my trusty HD650 headphones and Chord Mojo are on hand.

The current SR-007A and SR-007MK2 don't have the forward sound signature.  The annoying thing is silent revisions and the SR-007 has undergone quite a few.

May 3, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #1,144 of 1,490
I think the entry Grados (up to 225i) are some of the most overrated. I just don't understand how such hysterical headphones can even be considered audiophile. I guess they fit if you're some extreme metal freak, otherwise...Not to mention the really cheap look and feel.

They're too harsh for metal, i originally thought they would be good for metal, but after 15 mins headache city.

May 9, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,148 of 1,490
I honestly found HD800 to be overrated. For the price would've chosen LCD-2 or HE-6 any day although HD800 is more comfortable. But maybe its cause i didn't have optimal/not expensive enough equipment (ran it with a solist)

May 9, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,149 of 1,490
I personally find Grado headphones in general to be over rated. I've not heard the higher end models myself, but the sr60, 80, 325 etc. Have all not been to my liking. The comfort is atrocious and the sound is just way to forward and aggressive. 

I recently was in possession of a custom(ish) Grado. Kind of mid tier (I'll leave it at that) and comparing them side by side with my HD650's I had to immediately return them and get my money back.

May 12, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #1,151 of 1,490
The HD800 is not a traditional Sennheiser headphone. Do you overate the Sennheiser signature and/or the HD800 sound ?

Same. No question.

PS My answer would be any headphone costing over £100 in the UK. That money buys you a pair of Beyer DT150s and anything is overpriced compared to those, being at best only a slight improvement for many times the cost 
dt880smile.png

May 12, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,152 of 1,490
  The HD800 is not a traditional Sennheiser headphone. Do you overate the Sennheiser signature and/or the HD800 sound ?

Both. But then, the Sennheiser sound signature is just not for me. Never liked their headphone designs either.

Big fan of Roy Harper BTW, particularly Stormcock.

May 12, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #1,153 of 1,490
Hands down sennheiser orpheus. Most overpriced headphone in the world. Or you have 50  grand to share?

May 12, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #1,155 of 1,490

PS My answer would be any headphone costing over £100 in the UK. That money buys you a pair of Beyer DT150s and anything is overpriced compared to those, being at best only a slight improvement for many times the cost 
dt880smile.png

Honourable exceptions to my £100+ rule include possibly the Meze 99 Classic which seems to be very reasonable price for the craftsmanship and sound quality, all other Beyer DT headphones (in Europe at least) and possibly the HD600/650 (although you can easily get 2 Beyers of similar quality for less) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back