Most of the Sennheiser and Sony Sucks real bad! normal??
Jul 21, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #61 of 120
Ouch. Not all Senns low-end sucks. Most of them do so but not all of them.

I think the PX100 and PX200 are both good cans for the price. Also the HD497 are excellent headphones, may be the best, for the price. the HD202, the best sealed can for its price. the MX-series also are quite good, although they fall off from your ears

Jul 21, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #63 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
while you may think, based on what is believed by Rotel and yourself, that the Rotel is pretty good for driving heaphones, it still does not hold a candle to a dedicated headphone amp...even the cheaper portabe ones at Headroom.

Jumping in late on this, I realize. But I have heard (some) Rotel headphone outs, and I find them surprisingly good, especially at their price point. I could not agree based on what I heard that *any* cheap Headroom amp would best them easily, or even at all. I would have to do the A/B with the specific amp in question. It is true that many integrated amp's have very disappointing headphone outs (the Arcam A 65 springs to mind), but in Rotel's case the headphone out was actually what I found most memorable about the equipment. A good dedicated headphone amp is never a bad idea if you can afford one, but some amps and preamps can do surprisingly well. I was certainly surprised by the Rotel.

Jul 21, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #64 of 120
thanks newmanoc!
smily_headphones1.gif

I had a discution today with some guys at a store that confirm that the headphone jack ( of lets say a Rotel RA-1060 ) is more then enough to judge if a heaphone is good or not... + its a neutral amplification that will be flexible as you switch source...

Jul 22, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #66 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Troll.gif

I like my Sony Headphones.
r10smile.gif

-Ed

Me too! Me too!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Well, I like my V6 anyways...

I think the original poster was just a wee bit zealous in spreading his love for his obscure Yamaha cans. Kinda like when we found something (say, a set of closed cans or some earbuds or V6) and it is unknown to most people, you get a bit of a ego-trip, in that you've discovered something that is the absolutely best thing since sliced bread, or the first set of headphones. From there, you try to spread the love, but do so in a manner that ingrates everyone in one way or another. I know I've done it, and I'm pretty sure most of us have trolled intentionally or otherwise. At least he wasn't overt about it... If he were pushing the V600s on the other hand...

He is absolutely right when saying that most cheap phones aren't worth the retail price, be it from Sennhesiers, Sony, or who or whatever made them. But then again, the audience here (us) have a significantly lower margin of tolerance for crummy phones than 99.9999% of the population that buys headphones. So, when you find something that sounds great (and is a bargain), and the other phones you've tried in the same price range continues to fail and dissapoint... Well, you get the idea.

Frankly, I have one of those cans in my collection too, a relatively obscure set of cans here in head-fi (Technics RP-DJ1200). For the price I paid ($40), these are absolutely the best cans I've heard in that price range, save the lack of sound stage. Would I have the same opinion had I paid the MSRP of $150? Probably not, I'd still like it, but I wouldn't necessary like them as much as I do now.

Moral: Aural Beauty is in the ears of the beholder.
blink.gif
Most of the time.

PS and OT: Anyone think that the CD580s are lacking something? Can't quite put my fingers on it...

Jul 22, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #67 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentServices
I dont want to sounds pretentious or anything but gloco... the type of music you like is hardly ever nicely recorded...

anyway... if lifeless was your way to describe the Yams... i am already done with you...

maybe you heard to much head-shackers.... and forgot about neutrality in the way

Dude, i listen to all kinds of rock, pop and metal. Even some jazz, classical and new age, some of it is very well recorded. The yamaha's are sh!t, if you'd prefer to be oblivious to the obvious, that the yamaha's are garbage, then so be it. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Jul 22, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #70 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjac
A person is allowed to like or dislike any phone they wish-don't take it so seriously.There appears to be a lot of fragile egos on this site

When there are hundreds and thousands of dollars involved, you can surely bet there are going to be egos. And hurt feelings. Especially if you find out that your rig is pwn3d by something costs 10x less.

Jul 22, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #71 of 120
Ok... you dont like the yamaha, thats fine... but could you tell us what you didnt like in them to find them so horrible? keeping in mind that they dont even cost 50$ and could you tell me what cans in this category sounds better overall to the yams? try to be precise... because crap is not really an audiophile term i understand...

rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #72 of 120
nope, no fagile egos here. the point of the thread was ok. it was how he backed up his opinions that i and others seemed to call him on. he also obviously made it clear that he hadn't tried all of Sony's and Sennheiser's lower line of headphones and went ahead and said that most of them suck without hearing them. IOW, he was making assumptions and judgments that weren't backed up properly all while trying a bit too hard in knocking phones he hadn't heard just because his experiences with Sony and Sennheiser didn't seem to be good ones. so again, the intentions and points of the thread i understand and only partly agree with. it was in the way he conducted and came to his conclusions after the start of the thread that i did not like. a little too much hatred without any basis always urks me. afterall, remember that this is a discussion forum where people can and do defend their opinions freely, hopefully without fear of being accussed of having fragile egos.

Jul 22, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #73 of 120
hm.. i agree most of the senn lower stuff is a POS, espically if its like $AU149 for the HD497 :S

but i'll be getting a pair of HD-580's to test out for the next few days and i'll post comparsions with my DT440

Jul 22, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #74 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentServices
they dont even cost 50$ and could you tell me what cans in this category sounds better overall to the yams?

Did you have the opportunity to try the Koss KSC-35? They sound great, really great, and they cost only $30 or so.

No, I haven't heard the Yamahas and I am not saying that the KSC-35 sound better
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #75 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Did you have the opportunity to try the Koss KSC-35? They sound great, really great, and they cost only $30 or so.

No, I haven't heard the Yamahas and I am not saying that the KSC-35 sound better
wink.gif

In fact my previous headphones were the Koss KSC-35. True they are good cans for the price, and when i first heard the yamaha ( out of the box ) i was prefering the koss. I decided to make them play a little... 1 day after the yam was in a different class... the koss were not able anymore to compete this sound. Basicly the soundstage and imaging became 70% clearer, bass definition was improved in the same way. But the real stengh of the yam are the mids accuracy that is for example twice clearer to my Pioneer Monitor-10R that cost 109$ on audiocubes... less in other stores... but still more then the yams...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back