Most neutral iem/ around ear headphones for unamped clip+?
Mar 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

potatoos

100+ Head-Fier
As above, i am looking for a very neutral sounding iem or closed, around ear headphones for an unamped sansa clip+.

I really want flat sound that requires no eqing of any sort.

Everyone recommends the re0 but my problem is that i am not sure that they will preform as well when coming out of an unamped clip+.

Any insight would help alot.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 15
It's difficult to know if this is exactly what you're looking for, specially because I don't have much experience with neutral sound signatures, but here is my opinion.

The Meelec CX-21 offers a neutral sound signature (well, neutral to me) at a very decent price.

The problem is what do you consider to be "neutral", because you mention "I really want flat sound that requires no eqing of any sort".

Not needing eq doesn't mean "flat". In fact, flat response phones would sound a bit weird. So, it's a matter of sound preference here. I don't use equalization with any phone I have, and all of them have very different sound signatures.

The CX-21 are neutral, but I also consider "neutral" most of the cheap balanced armatures out there, like the SoundMAGIC PL50 or the Meelec A151, even though the basses of the first may be sound "weak" without eq. IMHO, the Re-0 would also fill the bill, even though the basses also may sound "weak".

Difficult question, so.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 15
yeah sorry about the price range. I'm looking at under $100. Not really negotiable.

To clarify about the not needing to eq statement, what i meant was that i am looking for something which has a flat sound and doesnt need eqing to bring out the balance.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
yeah sorry about the price range. I'm looking at under $100. Not really negotiable.

To clarify about the not needing to eq statement, what i meant was that i am looking for something which has a flat sound and doesnt need eqing to bring out the balance.

If your budget is 100$, probably you can find something better than the Meelec CX21. Take a look at the multi IEM review by fellow member ljokerl. Check the models in your price range for some neutral/flat/balanced model, I think this is your best bet.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 15
At $100 I would recommend the RE-ZERO or the SW-Excape.  I have heard neither, but I too love a flat sound and have researched them greatly before I went for the Fischer Audio DBA.  From what I have read, the ZEROs outperform the 0's without an amp.  With a good amp, the 0's are better, but marginally.

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 15
As above, i am looking for a very neutral sounding iem or closed, around ear headphones for an unamped sansa clip+.

I really want flat sound that requires no eqing of any sort.

Everyone recommends the re0 but my problem is that i am not sure that they will preform as well when coming out of an unamped clip+.

Any insight would help alot.

I am of the opinion that the Etymotic hf5 is flatter and cleaner than the RE-0. It is also lower impedance and more sensitive I believe so it should work well with the clip+ (I don't know the specs).

The RE-0 does have better treble extension than the hf5, that's the only area I think it is better.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
I am of the opinion that the Etymotic hf5 is flatter and cleaner than the RE-0. It is also lower impedance and more sensitive I believe so it should work well with the clip+ (I don't know the specs).
The RE-0 does have better treble extension than the hf5, that's the only area I think it is better.

I think the RE-0 was flatter than the HF5, but then again, I was driving using an iPod Touch (as opposed to the clip).  That's my opinion though.  

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I prefer the hf5. The RE-0 has slightly more bass and slightly less treble (though the extension is better).

LOL, I found the HF5 to be a bit bright (treble-happy + bass-light) to be neutral (which is why the RE-0 was more neutral to my ears).  

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Ah, I see. Our ears and perceptions are all different.
biggrin.gif

Yup yup...

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 15
I love my HF2 and my Re-Zero.  The HF2 has better isolation and a clearer seperation of instruments.  The Re-Zero offers a sweeter sound especially in the mids.  You absolutely can't go wrong with either of these.

Both work very well with a Clip Zip.  The HF2 with comply tips is perfect for long flights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back